Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Eclipse Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Eclipse Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
donidavis
AF Newbie

96 Eclipse Rs 2.0 Non-turbo

Im having a problem with my car back firiring. It idles fine a 2000 rpm but at 1000 it just act funny like it wants to cut off! Now my engine light came on and its throwint a code... the coad is 1294. can some one help me! i got a new battery and it keeps going dead... then i found out that my alt was bad so i took the engine out changed the alt all belts even the timing... and its still doing the same thing. When i try to accerlerate it stutters and jumps really bad then eventually cut off... oh and i chaneg eht fuel pump and the fuel filter! Can anyone help me?

Last edited by donidavis; 02-15-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: No replys
donidavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse
Re: 96 Eclipse Rs 2.0 Non-turbo

You pulled out the engine to replace the alternator and the timing belt? Im not really sure on the work you did? Did you change the timing belt? Did the car run fine before you did this work? Maybe the timing is off a tooth
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
donidavis
AF Newbie

Na, i didnt touch the timing we just checked and made sure that it wasnt off at all! i just put a serp and alt belt on! I took the engine out of a automatic 96 eclipse and just put my tranny on it. thats all i did and idk whats causing this backfire. do you think the EGR valve would cause this? I was also looking at my car and i dont have a EGR silonoid...
Old 02-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by donidavis View Post
Na, i didnt touch the timing we just checked and made sure that it wasnt off at all! i just put a serp and alt belt on! I took the engine out of a automatic 96 eclipse and just put my tranny on it. thats all i did and idk whats causing this backfire. do you think the EGR valve would cause this? I was also looking at my car and i dont have a EGR silonoid...

EGR won't make a difference like that. I've had defective, broken, and EGR deletes on numerous cars and never had problems with backfiring. It recycles the exhaust gas back into the intake. Wouldn't cause a problem like that if it wasn't working or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1294
Target Idle Speed Not Reached
  • Mechanical condition vacuum leak
  • throttle cable not free
  • idle speed screw misadjusted
I would pull off the whole TB and check it out with carb cleaner. Pull the IAC and TPS, clean the IAC and it's passages, including the emission ports on it and then check botht he IAC and TPS for proper resistance. Then check all vacuum lines.

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
donidavis
AF Newbie

Ok... now me and some friends were standing outside and we just let it run for about 30 mins and then the car caught on fire and the ground did too! so if my converer is clogged up or messed up will than make my car backfire?