Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Pick-Up
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 05:25 PM   #1
walstib7
AF Newbie

Question 22RE timing chain

Hello,
I drive a 91 toyota pickup with 206,000 miles. At 158,000 my timing chain skiped because the plastic guides broke and I had my engine rebuilt. Recently I had been hearing a pinging noise in my engine in the lower gears when I was not going fast. It would dissapear when in fourth or fith gear or so it appeared. When I would be at a stop my idle would change from high to low and back, but never died. One day the pinging got louder and when was on my commute home my acceleration seemed to hesitate a little. I pulled over checked oil and it was fine. As I started again experienced noticeble power hesitation. I thought the sound sounded like electrical arching, or like a rocker arm, but I am not experienced. It did not sound similar to my last chain when it was loose. I took the truck in and he says its my timing chain. It seems fishy to me cause its only got 50,000 miles on it. He also said I needed a new timing cover. When I drove the car to his shop at first I could not feel the hesitation then as I kept driving I could. Could the timing chain cause all these symptoms. I thought it would of been something like a bad spark plug wire and I kick myself now for not testing my own spak plug wires before bringing it in. Any help would be appreciated...I am just trying to settle my mind from feeling like I am being scammed by the mechanic.
walstib7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:43 PM   #2
papason
AF Regular

Re: 22RE timing chain

I know how you fell. Mine 94" is in the shop getting the timeing chain replaced. What is he charging you?
papason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:15 AM   #3
MyTOY
AF Regular

I am also curious about the diagnosis and cost of the
chain/guides replacement. I have a rattlesnake noise
under my hood and from all I've read, I suspect the guides.
Even though I only have 83,000 on my 95 22RE. The cost
of the kit itself (around 200 bananas) seems reasonable but
I've researched the repair procedure and I'm borderline
on doing it myself just cause it's my only ride. I've seen alot
of different guesses on the cost to replace. From 300 to 1200
bucks. Either way, I'll probably will have to risk waiting till end of
year to take the time off to fix or pay for. I hope it will hold out,
I dumped alot of $ making it look perfect before I realized the
mech. probs.
MyTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:31 AM   #4
walstib7
AF Newbie

Hello,
I had my timing chain replaced two months ago..and it was the guides, again. I dont see any problem waiting until you have the money, but thats what i did and after many many months the chain had nearly ate its way through the timing chain cover, which is not a cheap part. If it pierces the cover your oil and water could mix and will cause much more damage. My truck was quoted at 980 dollars without the cover and I talked him down to around 750 dollars because I do not have air conditioning..you know less stuff to deal with equating to less labor. He worked with me, but not until I confronted him on the matter. They will take what they can get.
I also heard stories of it costing between 200 and 300 dollars, but I think that is only if the chain broke, but chains rarely brake and more than likely its the guides. It is a distinct knocking noise and 22RE are famous for guides braking. Sorry, but it is expensive. Good Luck!
walstib7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 12:03 PM   #5
MyTOY
AF Regular

Thanks for the input. I feel a little better.
MyTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:13 PM   #6
xtoyotacorex
AF Regular

I highly doubt it's your chain, or your guides, i'd look into other things first. A bad chain wont give you a inconsistent idle, or funky acceleration. Go to a different mechanic, and don't mention the timing chain and I bet he will say something ealse.
xtoyotacorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:59 PM   #7
newocj
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 22RE timing chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtoyotacorex
I highly doubt it's your chain, or your guides, i'd look into other things first. A bad chain wont give you a inconsistent idle, or funky acceleration. Go to a different mechanic, and don't mention the timing chain and I bet he will say something ealse.
What I found with my 94 4-wheel drive pickup; it was not the chain or the guides, but the tensioner. Something is happening to the oil pressure causing the chain to loosen and eat the guide away, not sure but could be the oil pump not keeping the pressure up. Same thing happened to three trucks in my family, Paid once to fix mine then did it myself twice.
newocj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:03 AM   #8
kuto
AF Newbie

how come u guys pay soo much for a timming job....i live in dominica and i only paid 150 EC dollars or 55 US dollars....these guys are really ripoff....but he didnt replace my chain since he couldnt find one here;onlt the guides and tensioner...i found one so i'll be doing that job again but with someone else
kuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 01:15 PM   #9
newocj
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuto
how come u guys pay soo much for a timming job....i live in dominica and i only paid 150 EC dollars or 55 US dollars....these guys are really ripoff....but he didnt replace my chain since he couldnt find one here;onlt the guides and tensioner...i found one so i'll be doing that job again but with someone else
We either pay what they charge or do it ourselves which is why I do my own, but it still cost over 100 dollars for parts if you don't need a cover; then that part is over 200 dollars
newocj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 09:17 AM   #10
fast_freddy67
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to fast_freddy67
Here's the timing chain cover I use for around $80...

Pioneer PN 500 220

There is an aftermarket timing chain kit with steel guides too... It was $75. I don't have the number here, but I'll get it if anyone is interested.

I'm paying $200 in parts for my DIY fix. (and couple hours of dumping deisel through the motor and oil pan to get rid of the oil/antifreeze mixture, NASTY!)
fast_freddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:36 AM   #11
mooseketer
AF Newbie

We had the same timing change problem. The plastic Timing chain guide had broken off long ago and the timing chain ate through it's cover into the water pump area. This caused the water to go into the oil. (your oil level will be rising) We purchased all the necessary timing parts through http://www.partsdinosaur.com/. Real good prices. *******Don't forget to clean out the oil pan. ******* For this you will need to drop the part of the front end and remove a cross member or the oil pan won't come out. However, after that was fixed, (we didn't clean the oil pan, just changed the oil), we through a bearing. Now I don't know if the bearing was because of age (425,000 miles on the engine) or if the radiator sealents that we added prior to this went into the oil and cause the damage, or both but we are now rebuilding the engine. Live and learn. Good luck with yours.
mooseketer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:22 AM   #12
Electraglide71
AF Newbie

Timing chain cover and guide

Hey guys, I'm curious. In this discussion about the timing chain and the guide, I'm wondering...is this timing chain guide made out of a light blue or greenish plastic? The reason I ask is, I had to replace an oil pump seal, this removing the oil pan. Laying in the pan were several pieces of plastic, that was obviously once a part. I discarded them as I cleaned the oil pan, never being able to identify what they went to. I'm currently in the process of chasing down a coolant leak. Already replaced a head gasket, but what I've run into sounds like maybe this broken guide has caused my timing chain to rub a hole in the timing chain cover. As it went, my original head gasket looked fine when I replaced it, but I already had the engine apart. If you could, repost and let me know a little more about what you experienced with this timing chain guide. I appreciate it. Might give me a little more insight as to what to do next on my truck. Thanks guys.

Electraglide
Electraglide71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:46 AM   #13
fast_freddy67
AF Newbie

Electraglide71,

I believe what you found in your oil pan was the chain guide. If youre loosing antifreeze into the oil, it is likely from the timing chain cover. Somewhere in these forums I have a post that included the part numbers for the timingchain set and timing chain cover. The timing chain set has a steel or reenforced guide. There is a picture of my leaky cover at FastFreddy.net
Old 11-11-2005, 08:09 AM   #14
Electraglide71
AF Newbie

Hey Fast Freddy, I appreciate your response. Even though I've already replaced the head gasket on my truck, the original looked fine. And the more I read about this particular problem, the more I think this is my problem. Let me ask you...with that kind of wear on the timing chain cover, is the hole big enough that the timing chain cover needs to be replaced? OR, is it a wear hole small enough that it could be patched with a good steel epoxy from the inside? And I was wondering about a new guide going on this, and what would prevent this from happening again. Well, you answered that by telling me a steel guide would cure that problem. Another thing...I hate to take the cylinder head off this truck again, investing in the gasket kit. When you did your job, is there any way to replace/repair the timing chain cover and replace the timing chain at the same time without the head having to come back off? If need be, I'll do it. But, if I could avoid the removal of the intake manifold assembly from the head again, that is one big pain I really don't wanna face. Everything else in repairs I've done before, so at least I can do all of this myself. All of the other Toyota trucks I had, I never ran into this problem. Do you know if they used a steel guide on the older 20R's? Once again, thanks for your response. After this two week problem, I'm at least starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel to solve it.
Electraglide71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:33 PM   #15
fast_freddy67
AF Newbie

Electraglide,

I found that post in aonther thread that has links to the parts and two links for instructions for the Tchain cover r&r without head removal.

92 22re engine...

Read up a couple of posts and you can see my first post to that guy.

The hole in your Tchain cover is small, but on the high pressure side of the water pump. I just replaced mine to avoid having a patch fail and redoing everything.

Last time I was looking for these parts I couldnt find the steel guide by its self, only in the Tchain kit that is linked in that other post. That chain is suposed to be replaced at 150k or 200k anyway. I did hear of a junkyard fix. An older 22r had a double chain and a steel guide, but that chain would likely be streched out of limits anyway.

Read my other post, I think the links are still good.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Pick-Up