Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 01:38 AM   #1
amscout
AF Newbie

Converting Euro to US specs

I recently came across a 1992 325i with low mileage and didn't pay a penny for it. I will be returning to the states next year and want to bring this car back as a gift to my daughter. Does anyone have information of what parts need to be replaced to meet US specs? I have all the necessary forms for EPA, Customs and NHTS. If I do the work myself, I will save thousands in the conversion. Unfortunately, I do not have a list of all the parts required. I have been told by several people I need to replace...headlights, tailights, bumpers, side-impact bars in the doors, & glass. I have been unable to find any information on the required conversion online. Your help is greatly appreciated.
amscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:10 AM   #2
MioCLK
AF Enthusiast

You can't do the conversion of the vehicle by yourself.
The work must be done by a Registered Importer (RI).
MioCLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 06:31 AM   #3
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

Re: Converting Euro to US specs

you may also qualify for a 'one time exemption' from the 'grey market' import regulations. i know this was possible a one time [recently], i'd start by checking with U.S. Customs. they may be able to point you in the right dirrection. The rules have changed from 1980's & early 1990's and euro cars are built much more compliant then before. good luck.............
jeffreyb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 05:23 AM   #4
EdgePerformance
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to EdgePerformance Send a message via MSN to EdgePerformance Send a message via Yahoo to EdgePerformance
Re: Converting Euro to US specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by amscout
I recently came across a 1992 325i with low mileage and didn't pay a penny for it. I will be returning to the states next year and want to bring this car back as a gift to my daughter. Does anyone have information of what parts need to be replaced to meet US specs? I have all the necessary forms for EPA, Customs and NHTS. If I do the work myself, I will save thousands in the conversion. Unfortunately, I do not have a list of all the parts required. I have been told by several people I need to replace...headlights, tailights, bumpers, side-impact bars in the doors, & glass. I have been unable to find any information on the required conversion online. Your help is greatly appreciated.
I would take it to BMW in Germany, or a Dealer. All depends on where you are currently first off. There are lots less problems importing an OBDI compatible car aka -1996 car into the states because emmissions are easier on the OBDI cars.

A Dealer there in Europea should be able to take care of you, or an importer, but the cost may be high. I would honestly recommend selling the car and getting an e36 325is instead over here, it will be a lot easier in the long run and a 325i is nothing special even in European form. The 325is model in Euro form did produce 197hp though which was more then it's US brother.

Need more help take the advice of the other guys as well and contact the EPA, and a really good importer!

Cheers Mate, Wiedersehen
Jared Seymour
EdgePerformance is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series