Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 12:02 AM   #1
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Linebckr49
OBD2 datalogger AND SO MUCH MORE

DashDAQ™

http://www.drewtech.com/products/dashdaq.html

previewed at SEMA auto show Oct 31 2006. should be sold retail by early-mid 2007. msrp is $595.
K&N | long tube headers | 3sx crank pulley| testpipe | Addco front/rear sway bars (3SX) | rear strut bar & front 3-point strut bar (by JonVr4 on 3Si) | solid motor mounts | LSD insert | KYB GR-2 struts | intrax springs | adj. control arms | ss brake lines | 16% taller 5th gear (teamrip.com) | H4 conversion | push-button start | datalogger | HKS S-AFR | PLX WB O2
coming soon: adj. cam gears | bi-xenon HID retrofit

Last edited by Linebckr49; 11-12-2006 at 04:46 AM.
Linebckr49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:10 AM   #2
AutostradaVR4
AF Enthusiast

Re: OBD2 datalogger AND SO MUCH MORE

while were on the subject, is it possible to log on a laptop?

--VR-4-- --09 Lancer RALLIART-- --Me--
AutostradaVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:11 AM   #3
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

of course. but since most recent laptops (built in the last 5 years) don't have serial ports, ppl don't use them much. also, laptops are huge and bulky. a palm is much smaller and more manageable and cheaper. also, most all palms can work fine with serial cables. to get a laptop to work with a serial connection (assuming the laptop doesn't have a serial port) you need to get a high quality serial to usb adapter. i say high quality b/c there are a million out there and most only work with a few devices. i know, its weird, but i went through 3 adapters before finally dishing out 70 bucks to get one i knew would work. keyspan is the brand of the adapter that i have. i would bet that other high quality brands would work too, but are you willing to take that chance?
K&N | long tube headers | 3sx crank pulley| testpipe | Addco front/rear sway bars (3SX) | rear strut bar & front 3-point strut bar (by JonVr4 on 3Si) | solid motor mounts | LSD insert | KYB GR-2 struts | intrax springs | adj. control arms | ss brake lines | 16% taller 5th gear (teamrip.com) | H4 conversion | push-button start | datalogger | HKS S-AFR | PLX WB O2
Old 11-12-2006, 04:33 AM   #4
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

ok, so we all know that Igovert is always very adamant about everyone getting dataloggers. i share the same view. and today was a great example.

we had a dyno day down in Texas and a guy who has had a vr4 for about 6 months wanted to run. he's got 15gs, FMIC, 550s, and SAFC. on they dyno he does the first run at 12psi. sounds great. 2nd run bumps it up to 16psi: in higher rpms is hesistates and sounds really weird and then backfires like some old guy taking a crap. it was awful and sparks were flying out the tail pipes. we asked him how he's is monitoring knock, and he just gave a sheepish smile. he doesn't have a datalogger, so he has no way of monitoring knock. so even though he has a SAFC for tuning, he's tuning blindly b/c he won't know when he's getting knock until his motor blows up from too much knock.

i hope you guys all understand the importance of monitoring your engine if you have turbos and if you are modifying the performance from stock. ya, you can add fuel and air to get more power, but obviously you need a way to control it: Air/Fuel controller. ok, good, but how do you know when you've gone to far? oh, well when ur motor blows up, then you've gone WAAAAY too far. it would be nice to find out what that border is w/o destroying your car. you can do this with a datalogger.

so as Igovert would say, before you start modding your engine, let your first purchase be a datalogger. allow time to familiarize yourself with it. there's a LOT of info the software on a datalogger can monitor, probably more than you're aware of (that's how it was for me). then learn how the different parameters relate to each other: O2 voltage, fuel trims (low, med, high), injector duty cycle, injector pulse width, air flow frequency, knock, timing, air temp, air volume, barometer...just to name a few .
Old 11-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

^ Agreed. I would LOVE to be able to monitor knock. It always amazes me when people can, for so cheaply, and don't.

I saw the thread on this product on 3si. Interesting...but I'm still not sure it will be able to monitor knock. And while it's alot of cool stuff, you can get an obd2 datalogger for cheap...I still probably will down the line, the problem is, it doesn't monitor knock in realtime or whatever. It can't be monitored like obd1...so I dunno if I would justify the large price tag, but that's just me
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth