Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
tcseadoo
AF Newbie

2001 Ram Van 1500 water pump removal

I can't get to the water pump or the thermostat housing due to the alternator and AC unit s that are in the way. Also, is there a secret to removing the coolant drain plugs from the engine block? Any help greatly appreciated.
T C
tcseadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2001 Ram Van 1500 water pump removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcseadoo View Post
I can't get to the water pump or the thermostat housing due to the alternator and AC units that are in the way.
You have to move both of them out of the way (disconnect the battery first) and then remove the mounting bracket for the both of them. As for the block drains, there is no trick, you just have to get in there and turn them out. You really shouldn't have to for a 2001. There can't be that much (if any) debris in the water jackets unless something drastic happened to the engine. If you take the water pump off, you can blast a garden hose through the water passages behind the water pump and do a real good job of flushing the block out.
alloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
tcseadoo
AF Newbie

Alloro,
Thanks for the quick reply. I still can't get that alternator and AC mounting bracket off. I removed both alternator bolts and all four AC bolts. Had a hell of a time removing fan shroud. I made my own pulley holder (a piece of aluminum angle with two 5/16" bolts spaced 3" apart protruding on one end) It holds the w/p pulley securely but I can't get the large left-handed thread nut to budge. Been using a large adjustable wrench but don't have any pipe with large enough ID to use as a cheater bar. Any helpful hints? Any idea where I can get a schematic drawing of the cooling system?Thanks again.
T C
Old 01-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
alloro
AF Enthusiast

If I recall correctly, besides the four bolts in the front, there's a hidden bolt on the passenger side of the bracket that goes in from the side. You might have to remove the coil to see it. It's been a while so my memory is a bit foggy.

Hit the adjustable wrench with something like a 3 lb. sledgehammer to shock the nut free.
alloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
tcseadoo
AF Newbie

Finally got the bracket removed and once I found out on another forum that the nut holding the fan clutch to the waterpump shaft was RIGHT hand threads, I was able to remove the fan clutch. I don't know where I had read that it was left hand threads. Anyway have the new waterpump, thermostat and all new hoses in placer and now need to re-install all the other things that had to be removed for access. What a major task this has turned out to be. Thanks for your help.
T C

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van