Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 03:09 PM   #1
NSX-R-SSJ20K
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NSX-R-SSJ20K
single wiper conversion?

do you think a single wiper conversion looks good and who does them?
Old 03-13-2002, 07:52 AM   #2
MaFi0s0
AF Regular

yea i reckon they look good, there more convienient also and cover more of the windscreen, dunno who would do them though
MaFi0s0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 05:32 AM   #3
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Oh God, not this crap again. I thought people would have finally forgotten about SWC and left them in the early 90s. Please don't help bring them back. They really serve no purpose on the streets and actually they slighty impede the visibility for the driver (and bug the hell out of most passengers). It's just a ghetto $0 mod that people picked up in order to do anything and everything to make their car appear different (this complements the Pep Boys mud flaps).

There is one type of SWC that could be considered 'OK'. This is the type that the BTCC and other touring car associations use. As you know, the wiper doesn't sit at a 45 degree angle like the ones you see on the road. At rest, they are positioned vertically 90 degrees, in order to reduce the amount of drag produced by a standard pair of horizontal wipers (this is also why so many rear wipers are vertical).

However, a SWC, regardless of how well you think you rigged it, wipes less windscreen than the standard factory pair. Even if you manage to find a shorter blade to bring the tip all the way down, you will notice that the upper corners of the glass are left completely untouched. This gets bothersome when you are approaching hills since you need to look above the horizon to see the road. Another disadvantage of a SWC is that they are slower than the standard pair. And I'm only talking about those who have actually made the blade wipe with a 180 degree angle (and a full semi-circle is rare to see indeed). The standard pair of blades have a less angular distance to travel and therefore clean more in a shorter timespan.

Please, leave important OEM stuff like this alone. It's really doesn't accomplish anything.
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 06:13 AM   #4
Sentra Styling
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Sentra Styling
I was also never one for the single wiper mod....It's just not worth the effort or time for a totaly pointless mod....
All SR20DE powered...
Sentra Styling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 12:30 AM   #5
MaFi0s0
AF Regular

a semi circle is hard to find? my dads car has a single wiper(stock) and its a perfect semi circle, theres probly some cheapo way to do it, but the ones on his car has some weird motion, as it reaches the middle of the semi circle it goes higher to reach the top of the glass, so it wipes more of the glass then a pair of wipers cause it also wipes the bottom middle of the windscreen, the only disadvantage i find is it makes abit more noise.
MaFi0s0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 02:27 AM   #6
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Let me guess--Mercedes Benz.

Well even if your dad's car isn't the Benz, you are touching on the same wiper design that they incorporate into their cars such as the E-class's single wiper system: eccentric arc. This design is quite a bit different from the standard single wiper conversion as it does indeed reach for every corner of the windshield on each wipe. However, if you look at the mechanical devices, it appears pretty obvious that you can't easily replicate this in your average Honda.
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 04:02 PM   #7
fortyoz2eric
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to fortyoz2eric
i need to agree that single-wiper conversions are stupid as all hell...but if you're one to want your car to be stupid as all hell then all you do is take out the driver's side wiper and put the center wiper at an angle. i hope you don't need to pay anyone to do that.
Old 04-12-2002, 03:56 AM   #8
Holyterror
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, I haven't seen any serious tuners go single wiper. The only people I've seen do it are ricers who spend only-God-knows how much for a new motor and blade so they can leave it up all the time and show off how cool their... wiper blades are. Doesn't this sound really gay to anyone else? Yeah, forget the body kit, I want people to stare at my windshield wipers. What idiots. This one guy, in his bright yellow accord, put a big bright white blade on his center wiper and put those LED washers on his hood, and now he's "big pimpin'." Oh, please. I have often said that the greatest freedom of all is the freedom to have bad taste. Well, I pay for it every time I see one of these guys on the road. Geez, I'd better get out the Pepto...

Member of AF's Slide Squad (Member #05)
Holyterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 01:50 AM   #9
evolution42
AF Newbie

Eccentric Wipers

HI

Im desperate. Can someone out there please answer my question:

How do Eccentric Windscreen Wipers Work? They are the ones which reach further into the corner of the screen, normally on the passenger side. It is not the single wiper used on older Mercedes Benz's. They are used on later C, E , S, CLK, CL, and SL Classes. Its only on the drivers side if the manufacturer is cost cutting for LHD to RHD (or vicer versa) conversions. You can find them on the following cars:

BMW 5-Series (RHD Models)
BMW 7-Series
Mercedes Benz C-Class
Mercedes Benz E-Class
Mercedes Benz S-Class
Mercedes Benz CLK-Class
Mercedes Benz CL-Class
Mercedes Benz SL-Class
Lexus RX300
Peugeot 206 (australian model)

If you are going to answer my question, could you please provide some pics or animations, Thank You
evolution42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:43 AM   #10
lcd
AF Newbie

Re: single wiper conversion?

Check out the various MB models, the sliders are really cool...........but YOU will have to engineer them (it?) yourself.
And remember, OEM sucks!
lcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:10 PM   #11
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Holy ancient ass thread!

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:28 AM   #12
NSX-R-SSJ20K
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NSX-R-SSJ20K

bump for giggles - lol what was i thinking.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > General Discussion