Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
tbrays
AF Newbie

Emergency Brake Cable stuck

Hi,

I believe the emergency brake cable is stuck and I can't figure out how to fix it. I could not find a grommet on the disc break from the outside but located where the cable is attached on the other side. I unscrewed the single bolt but I still can't get access to adjusting the cable. Any ideas?
tbrays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: Emergency Brake Cable stuck

It is a very common problem with VW's. The best thing to do is replace both cables. Here are some of the items causing the problem and why it is best to just replace. Sometimes the cable breaks some of the individual wires and they impale into the outer shield. Sometimes where the cable comes into the car it fills up with dirt, sediment and rust that finally seize the cable. Sometimes where the shield and the cable meet inside the brakes it fills up with brake dust, that also corrode or jam up. And finally there is the possibility the inner cable has snapped. I think RockAuto online has the current best price, but I suggest shopping around.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
tbrays
AF Newbie

How do you even replace it? I have the single bolt off to the right in the picture but the cable is still attached.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
tbrays
AF Newbie

I tried to get a view of inside but there are two gears in the two holes on the right. I don't know whether to turn both of them clockwise, counterclockwise, or one clockwise and the other counter-clockwise. They both rotate with a flathead and stop after about 10 rotations but I dont know which way loosens and which way tightens.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Because they are a mirror image of each side, one side has right hand thread and the other has left hand thread. I have had people put the wrong one on the wrong side, so you can't guarantee what is in the instructions is the correct way. But once you have a correct way for one side, it will be the same on the other. I always try catching the gear wheel at the top and try to spin down.
These brakes also have a wedge at the top that you need to try and pry up on. Line up the drum so the lug holes make a square that has a side parallel to the ground. In the top hole toward the front on each side you stick in a screw driver to try and pry the wedge up. If that doesn't work, after taking off the center hub nut, remount the tire and use it to pry off the drum. Check out Cabby Info site and VW Vortex forum. Here is the link to the brakes page on Cabby Info.
http://www.cabby-info.com/brakes.htm
Here is the link to VW Vortex
http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisp...pecific-Forums
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > General Discussion