Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CL | Inspire | Saber | TL
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 07:51 AM   #16
jha9901
AF Newbie

Re: Acura 3.2 TL Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdial1
Has anyone heard of problems with the 2001 Acura 3.2 TL. I am not pleased with the engine performance and heard of customers needing to have their transmission replaced. Possible silent warranty issue?

Help?
I own this car..transmissions failed regularly on this mode..acura sent us a letter in early 03 telling us trans warranty extended to 7 yrs or 100,000 miles....sure enough my trans just blew up a 62000 miles...good news...replacement is paid for and they rented a car for me..dealer told me they got 10 in this week alone with failed transmissions...replacement trans is a remanufctured unit....problem was solved in later models.
jha9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 07:53 AM   #17
jha9901
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan
man i hope this is not so. just bought one recently (bout a month ago) and i love that car...powerful (enough) rides smooth, and have all the neccessary accessories. but thn again im accustomed to driving my 95 4 cylinder accord ex. But i have a question...in my accord, after i close door and start engine, after a couple secconds the doors (all 4) automatically locks, but the TL doesnt do that...is there a setting somewhere that needs to be changed or this is just the way it is?
S

transmission problem was only with early 2001 models....mine is in for a replacement now...fully warrantied up to 100k miles...Honda stood tall on this one....I don't think other companies would have.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:04 AM   #18
jha9901
AF Newbie

Re: Actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8TL3.2
Actually yes, 2000, 2001 & 2002 TL's (TL-P and TL-S) are experiencing major transmission problems, slipping, grinding, the works. Its a silent recall kind of deal, if you dont have trouble they aren't going to tell you about it. I have a 2000 TL-P and I run it really hard and have yet to have any tranny problems, i have 29,000 miles on it too. go to WWW.ACURA-TL.COM its another posting board and its all about TL's all years all models, go there for more information i'm also a member on that board. theres much you can learn over there. thanx

howard
Honda contacted all owners of possibly affected models...ours failed t 62,000 miles...trans replace free...got a free rental car and warranty exted to 7yrs or 100k miles. was told trans problem only affected early 01 model tls.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:18 AM   #19
jha9901
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdial1
Looks like the Tranny problem is not so silent. Does anyone have any comments to the announcement from Honda/Acura that they are extending the warranty for 00, 01 and 02 related to potential Tranny problems??????????

It's true........mine went....I knew it might happen...got a letterfrom honda....warranty extended to 100k or 7 years...everything fixed for free and even got a free rental car....can't really complain...they didn't try to hide the problem.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:05 AM   #20
tcg1969
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to tcg1969 Send a message via Yahoo to tcg1969
Angry Re: How do you know it won't happen again

I had the same issue with my 2000 TL... in Aug. 2002, the transmission basically halted me in the middle of heavy traffic, it wouldn't move!! I thought that was bad.... They replaced the transmission. now on Oct 6, 2003 driving 65mph I was slammed into gear 1 or 2.... Thank goodness it wasn't in traffic or I would have been the news headline "MULTIPLE CAR PILEUP ON TOLLWAY!" and I would have been the cause.. I have another "new" transmission (rebuilt) and it is slipping in the morning, when I put it in reverse or first.. I am car shopping and it isn't for a HONDA or ACCURA...... The jolt from the downshift has had me in Dr's office numerous times in pain.
tcg1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 11:24 PM   #21
JimmyKid
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to JimmyKid
I worked for an Acura Dealer and still have friends that do. The TL and CL both eat Transmissions the sooner you get a rebuilt one the happier you'll be!
JimmyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 11:56 AM   #22
socaltl1
AF Newbie

My 2000 TL transmission just died!

My tranny just died last Sunday on my way back from Vegas to Los Angeles. It died in Victorville and I had to have it towed 40 miles to the closest Acura dealer. The dealer said the tranny was covered and they gave me a rental car, but they won't pay for the $200 tow! I'm gonna write a scathing letter to Acura demanding compensation, this is ridiculous!
socaltl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 12:24 PM   #23
SwtPea72
AF Newbie

As we speak my tranmission is being replaced for the SECOND time!! I am on my third trans. I have a 2001 TL that at 52,000 miles my trans went. An Acura (where I purchased my car) dealership TRIED to make me pay for it saying it was my fault for poor maintenence. Bull. I called Acura in California and they gave me a good faith warrenty and another dealership took care of me. NEEDLESS to say that EXACTLY 52,000 miles later my tranmission went again!!! So for them to extend this to 100,000 doesn't help me because I do alot of traveling!! I am already at 104,000, who is to say it won't happen again at 50,000 miles!! PLUS hate to tell you Acura owners, the 2001 TL is not the only one having this problem. Now the new 2004 MDX are having the same problem. So they obviously are not working to their best to fix this problem. Even though they are taking care of me again totaly free replacement with loaner car and towing charges given back. But I have to say I am very disappointed. I don't want this to happen to me again!! Especially now that I will be traveling with a new born in car!

Last edited by SwtPea72; 11-15-2003 at 03:09 PM.
SwtPea72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 01:31 AM   #24
lowride14
AF Newbie

i have a 97 3.2 tl, and it slips as it shifts into 2nd all the time, so its been happening for a while.
lowride14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:40 AM   #25
jamd
AF Newbie

1999 3.2 tl tranny recall

Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum as well. But recently found it by google.
Anyhow, just thought I'd let you guys know that I recently got my 99 tranny replaced as well. The tech at the dealer basically said that I was getting an entirely brand new tranny except for the outside casing...even the wiring was new.

Well I just got it back recently and I have to say that its been driving great. No more pops when I put the car in reverse and the dealer even replaced a few engine mounts that got wasted from the old tranny's rough shifting and popping.

BTW, as many of you already know.. there is an ignition switch recall on the vehicle as well. Got that done recently

But I have recently been getting worse and worse gas mileage...around 310-320 before the needle hits the (E). Anyone else getting similar gas mileage and if so...does changing gas help? or is it most likely an O2 sensor? Had to check OBD II code when the check engine light came on...sooo...
anyways...99 tranny recall at 99,000mi. is covered...
jamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:18 AM   #26
gerry1
AF Newbie

acura tl tranny

Have just had transmission number 2 installed at around 65000 miles. Dealer told me that Honda now have a device to test trannies----problem confirmed as 2 nd gear. I think that tranny # 3 has the most noticeable problem so I'm taking it back.

Dealer has been superb, so good that I have ordered a 2005 Rl. Hope I'm not crazy but this will be Acura #4

Good luck to all
gerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:47 AM   #27
MethodMan420
AF Regular

If this truely has put you at risk, and you feel that it is a safety problem feel free to contact NHTSA and fill out a VOQ
(vehicle owners questionaire)

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

www.nhtsa.gov

[...-------------...]
||||________||||
MethodMan420 is offline   Reply With Quote