Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Alfa Romeo > 156
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 06:41 PM   #1
AndyG
AF Newbie

Unhappy faulty fuel gauge!!

I have just bought my used 156 and the fuel gauge is unreliable. It doesn't seem to go passed the quarter tank mark and the reserve light comes on and then goes off whilst driving. The dealer has given excuse of 'delayed time logic' but I'm pretty sure it's a fault.

Has anyone else had similar problem? What did you do? Still under warranty. If as appears, an inherent problem, how do you manage to know when to refuel?
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 06:17 AM   #2
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Well Depending on what engine you have- find the Litres/100Km fuel consumption figures- depending on the engine (The fuel tank size differs with engine size) this should tell you how much many kms the car will go on one tank- thus you could fill up every xxxKm- Of course you shouldn't have to put up with this problem- and while they usually fix themselves- you should have an honest mechanic look it over- because most Alfa Romeo tech teams are hopeless

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 11:55 AM   #3
AndyG
AF Newbie

Thank for the reply Jimster.

My car's a 2 litre engine. Have you ever come across any one in the forum who has had similar problem? Is it an easy problem mechancially/electrically to solve?

I've no idea how much fuel is in the tank now. Your solutions is fine if I know I've got an empty tank. Do modern fuel pumps at petrol stations cut off to prevent overspilling?
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 06:51 PM   #4
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyG
Thank for the reply Jimster.

My car's a 2 litre engine. Have you ever come across any one in the forum who has had similar problem? Is it an easy problem mechancially/electrically to solve?

I've no idea how much fuel is in the tank now. Your solutions is fine if I know I've got an empty tank. Do modern fuel pumps at petrol stations cut off to prevent overspilling?

Yep- well at least the ones in Italy, Switzerland and New Zealand (The only countries I've really filled up with petrol in that have 156's) do- So I think wherever you live the cut off petrol pumps would exist.

It is an easy enough problem to solve- but unfortunately- Alfa often try to avoid responsibility for these types of things- Personally I would wring my tech-team by the neck if they did that- but there are Alfa dealers out there who are like that

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 10:56 AM   #5
AlfaRomeo156
AF Newbie

I have a problem with my gauge not reading anything at all sometimes when I start up, then someway through the journey, or when I start again it'll read out properly.. not really dangerous because it only seems to happen when the tank is relatively full.

.:|: 1999 - 1.8TS Alfa Romeo 156:|: Personal Website:|:ICQ - 328951777:|:.
AlfaRomeo156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 11:46 AM   #6
Stefanel1
AF Enthusiast

I look rarely at my gauge but it's going down slower under 1/2.
But I look at the kilometers : I know that at 500km I've to think to refill my car !

Citroën C6 - Alfa Romeo 159
Stefanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 07:33 AM   #7
wheelnutwillie
AF Newbie

Re: faulty fuel gauge!!

Hi my 2.5 did it too I find that when I to put it mildly thrashed it I did the trick for me.
wheelnutwillie is offline   Reply With Quote