Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
LittleMissSunshine
AF Newbie

Exclamation Car will not start... need help !!!!!

I have a 98 contour. I have replaced the started. Checked the battery, it holds a 12.6 volt charge. I had the allternator taken off and checked. It passed. But...... my car still will not start. It will not even click when turning the key. can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me....

Thank you... Mary
LittleMissSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: Car will not start... need help !!!!!

Use a volt meter and go to the solenoid take the small wire off use a DVOM and make sure it gets 12 volt. If it does check the big terminals on each side of the solenoid make sure both sides have 12 volt when trying to start. If this is good use the DVOM and check the big wire to the starter does it have 12 volt when trying to start. Its probably either the solenoid or starter. If no power to the small wire of the solenoid its probably the ignition switch.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
LittleMissSunshine
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandwor
Use a volt meter and go to the solenoid take the small wire off use a DVOM and make sure it gets 12 volt. If it does check the big terminals on each side of the solenoid make sure both sides have 12 volt when trying to start. If this is good use the DVOM and check the big wire to the starter does it have 12 volt when trying to start. Its probably either the solenoid or starter. If no power to the small wire of the solenoid its probably the ignition switch.
I have checked the battery it is holding 12.6 volts. I replaced the starter last saturday and I just pulled the allernator off and had it tested and the test passed.... what happened is last week when we had that big rain here in va beach. My power steering went out for like 30 seconds.. the following day the battery light was on. I took it and had bat tested.. tested fine. then last friday i was going down interstate radio flickered then went off. next my rpms starter dancing. then car just shut off...... i have bat power.. windows go up radio comes on door chimes chimes.. but there is no clicking when i turn the ignition..
Old 08-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
LittleMissSunshine
AF Newbie

please can anyone help me...............................
Old 08-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

You need to check the little wire to the solenoid. Does it get voltage when you turn the key. This solenoid sends power to the starter. Usually it sets along side the fender on a Ford. You have to check both sides when trying to start. On a GM vehicle it is attached to the starter.
Just like turning a faucet on in the kitchen this has to close to run the starter.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
LittleMissSunshine
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandwor
You need to check the little wire to the solenoid. Does it get voltage when you turn the key. This solenoid sends power to the starter. Usually it sets along side the fender on a Ford. You have to check both sides when trying to start. On a GM vehicle it is attached to the starter.
Just like turning a faucet on in the kitchen this has to close to run the starter.
im being told that there isnt a wire going to the solenoid... but thanks again..
Old 08-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
Scrapper
AF Premium User

if you got vats you probly got a white wire broken going to your key switch..why they made the wire so little i don't know..
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:55 AM   #8
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper1
if you got vats you probly got a white wire broken going to your key switch..why they made the wire so little i don't know..
should be a white wire..
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:31 AM   #9
LittleMissSunshine
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper1
should be a white wire..
we ended up hot wiring the car to see if she would start off that.. and she did.. evidently if she started that meant it was the ignition switch so we are in the process of replacing it... trust me im not the idiot to cars.. the jerk im with is... he didnt want to hear anything that anyone had to say about car except if it was his grandfather.. but i told pop and he found a way to put it towards him to check for what you said.. (they wont let me under my own car) but its a gray wire comming out the box at ignition... so we got that far but now there is a screw holding the parts together at ignition... the screw doesnt have a head so we cant get the freaking thing out...gggrrrr..... but thank you thank you soo much... you have been of great help..... mary
Old 08-05-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

I used a small pair of channel locks to get the bolt out your talking about.
The new switch bolts will require a torx tamper proof bit. You can buy 4 new small bolts the same size at the parts store or buy a set of tamperproof while your at the parts store.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour