Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 06:42 AM   #1
kamkusa
AF Newbie

Question Fuel Filter remover tool for Ford explorer 2000???

What special tool do I need to remove the fuel filter on a 2000 Ford Explorer engine code X. I was doing a tune-up and when I got to the fuel filter I couldn't remove it. I got the clips off but can't remove filter! I figure that you need a special tool? Does anyone know what tool and where I can get one? Tried auto store and they only had the filter. Baffeled in Mass.
kamkusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Jumante
AF Newbie

Re: Fuel Filter remover tool for Ford explorer 2000???

Yes you do. Depends on what type of coupling connects to your fuel filter. Mine is a 99 frd expl 4.0L and my filter is connected by what they call a duck bill coupling. There is also a spring lock coupling, either one you need a specific disconnect tool. Pretty cheap for both. Bought mine at auto zone. But before you remove the filter you must relieve the fuel pressure! There are several ways of doing this, ie.. fuel pressure gauge bleeding, inertia switch method and fuel pump relay. I did the relay method. I pulled the fuel pump relay from under the hood and ran the truck until it stopped. Be sure to have something to catch the fuel and some rags cause you will get fuel dripping when you pull the filter, don't forget to wear eye protection. I took the end caps that came with the new filter and when I pulled one side of the filter, I capped it off and did the same for the other. if you do it right, the filter will come off easy without too much trouble. Kind of a push pull thing with the duck billed connection. This forum has a lot of repair info on it. Look at the first Important thread on this page on fuel filter replacement with pics this helps a lot if your system is set up that way.

-jumante
Jumante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

I suspect if your auto parts store said they didn't have the tool, it's because they didn't know what they were talking about or being asked. You can also get the tool at Sears and maybe some other department stores. You will need to know what size you need if you plan to get the tool that only works with your vehicle. Unfortunately I don't remember which size your 2000 takes, I got the set of spring lock removal tools that works for multiple different sized fittings.

I do remember that getting the filter spring locks loose on my filter was quite frustrating. I was ready to give up, and that's when the filter fittings decided to do that same.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
kamkusa
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod
I suspect if your auto parts store said they didn't have the tool, it's because they didn't know what they were talking about or being asked. You can also get the tool at Sears and maybe some other department stores. You will need to know what size you need if you plan to get the tool that only works with your vehicle. Unfortunately I don't remember which size your 2000 takes, I got the set of spring lock removal tools that works for multiple different sized fittings.

I do remember that getting the filter spring locks loose on my filter was quite frustrating. I was ready to give up, and that's when the filter fittings decided to do that same.

-Rod
I picked up the tool at another parts store, but still can't get the !@#% thing to seperate. It's a 2000 Explorer with 150,000+ miles on it and nothing has ever been changed!!! The tune-up that I did had OEM plugs (what were left of them), wires (all cracked & broken), and pcv valve (clogged). Replaced all except fuel filter, still working on that. What a MAJOR diff. in how it runs now! Thankx for the reply, I figured you would answer first. I know about relieving the pressure, wish the thing would seperate. I'll try again tomorrow. This might sound strange but I have been ASE certified since 1977, only problem now is that I'm disabled and don't get to work too many hours. Thankx again for the advice. I'm sure that you will hear from me again.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
kamkusa
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumante
Yes you do. Depends on what type of coupling connects to your fuel filter. Mine is a 99 frd expl 4.0L and my filter is connected by what they call a duck bill coupling. There is also a spring lock coupling, either one you need a specific disconnect tool. Pretty cheap for both. Bought mine at auto zone. But before you remove the filter you must relieve the fuel pressure! There are several ways of doing this, ie.. fuel pressure gauge bleeding, inertia switch method and fuel pump relay. I did the relay method. I pulled the fuel pump relay from under the hood and ran the truck until it stopped. Be sure to have something to catch the fuel and some rags cause you will get fuel dripping when you pull the filter, don't forget to wear eye protection. I took the end caps that came with the new filter and when I pulled one side of the filter, I capped it off and did the same for the other. if you do it right, the filter will come off easy without too much trouble. Kind of a push pull thing with the duck billed connection. This forum has a lot of repair info on it. Look at the first Important thread on this page on fuel filter replacement with pics this helps a lot if your system is set up that way.

-jumante
Thankx much Jumante. Your answer is much appreciated and very informative. I hope to hear from you in the future if I get stuck with something else. Ken
Old 05-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
Jumante
AF Newbie

ken,
Some filters are hidden from heat shields, If you have that problem, I don't know what type of coupling you have, (haven't been there yet) but if you can see the fuel filter mounted on the rail, more than likely you have the duck billed coupling. I'm a firm believer in PB blaster. I sprayed the %%#$ out of the connection and holding on to the filter I twisted it back and forth (just did mine a week ago) for awhile. Push the plastic tool (looks like a "T" if you stand it on end) around the fuel filter stem (with bottom of "T" facing the coupling) and push it into the coupling as deep as you can. While your pushing the tool into the coupling with one hand, with the other hand push the connection towards the filter and then pull the connection it should break free, kind of tough but you really don't need that much force, pushing it in but you'll need some when you pull. If or when it breaks free your gonna get fuel pouring out. Cap the filter with the end caps from the new filter if you can. Don't forget about the eye protection, cause its gonna come streaming out. Let me know how you make out.

pat
abington, ma
Jumante is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac