Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
ccrtw88
AF Newbie

gas mileage...

In the city my Blazer is only geting around 14 miles per gallon.. I have done a tune up including spark plugs/wires, fuel filter, cleaned MAF, cleaned throttle body, ran seafoam through gas and pcv valve, replaced pcv valve, replaced cap and rotor. Only other thing i could think of that might help is to replace my O2 sensors but i am not geting any error codes. I am also haveing a problem with hesitation around 2k rpms when i am running my a/c. With my a/c off i have no hesitation. My Blazer has 108k miles. Thanks for any suggestions.
Ravin Z33 Muffler
Alpine Type R all around
JL W3V2 10"
Old 01-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #2
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

Re: gas mileage...

I am having similar issues. i'm getting around 13-14mpg city in my 95. most of it is due to the winter gas formula. i have replaced similar items on my truck. last tank i did 80% highway driving and still only got 14.8mpg. I'm also open to suggestions.
Exterior Mods: Just Right

1987 Buick Turbo T Dark Red
Low 11 sec sleeper
.030 4.1 block, PT6262E, & other odds and ends....
My Cardomain
Old 01-21-2006, 11:37 PM   #3
OverBoardProject
Banned

That might be respectable depending upon where you live, and what the trafic that you drive in is like. Plus this is where a heavy foot will really make a difference.

Open Hwy mileage is more consistant, and is probably where you should really do a mileage test. And drive a consistant 55 or 60mph. These are the speeds that the testers drive.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverBoardProject
That might be respectable depending upon where you live, and what the trafic that you drive in is like. Plus this is where a heavy foot will really make a difference.

Open Hwy mileage is more consistant, and is probably where you should really do a mileage test. And drive a consistant 55 or 60mph. These are the speeds that the testers drive.
i don't really have a lead foot but most of the time i am driving short distances in stop and go traffic (lots of stoplights). the last tank of gas i used i was driving on the highway about 80% of the time between 55 and 75mph and still only got 14.8mpg. maybe next time i'll try the cruise control. o and i also keep the tire pressure at 35psi.

Low 11 sec sleeper
My Cardomain
Old 01-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
OverBoardProject
Banned

Just a guess, but it's probably that stop and go that's killing your mileage. That's a real killer
Old 01-22-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
534BC
AF Enthusiast

I think that both are a bit low , as I get 18 in my '95 4x4 4dr LT. It has high miles, but is all stock and I drive all short trips. On a highway trip I get around 23. I think this is just qwhat the sticker says.

I haven't owned a lots of cars/trucks, but alway have gotten just what the sticker has stated. Only thing I can think of is the way you stop and also if the tires are bigger and speedo is offf? probably not.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

how do u get 18 city? i didn't even get that while doing highway driving in the summer. my friend also has a 95 but he gets 17-18 city and about 25 hwy. the differences between his and mine is that his is a 2dr, he runs synthetic oil, and he has 3.73 gears (i have 3.42). im at a loss.

Low 11 sec sleeper
My Cardomain
Old 01-22-2006, 04:41 PM   #8
534BC
AF Enthusiast

Some of mine could be my "conservative" driving style lol. I guess I have just driven like that forever. I didn't really say city driving, but rather my trips are short. Here are my details (normal driving for me) I can do about 10% better mileage than average driver without changing habits, If I try real hard I think I may be able to do 20%

10 mile trips with 5 miles at 55 mph and 3 miles at 35 mph and 2 at 25 mph
There are about 6 turns and about 5 stops.

When driving in the 55 I drive just that, when driving in the 35 I go 41 so the converter is locked up. I use the cruise constantly when above 25 mph and do not use my brakes much.

More mpg can be gained by how you use the brakes than by how you use the throttle. One of these days I will try real hard, but currently testing the acetone in fuel tank right now.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:08 PM   #9
georgelovesdirt
AF Newbie

I use to get 16 or so in my 95 4d 2wd all highway and long windy country road in the summer in NJ. No city at all. I speed a lot though, like 85 the whole way. And I'll admit I wasn’t the most attentive person when it came to maintaining it. I just brought my blazer out of storage and I’m going to do a mileage test soon.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:02 PM   #10
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 534BC
Some of mine could be my "conservative" driving style lol. I guess I have just driven like that forever. I didn't really say city driving, but rather my trips are short. Here are my details (normal driving for me) I can do about 10% better mileage than average driver without changing habits, If I try real hard I think I may be able to do 20%

10 mile trips with 5 miles at 55 mph and 3 miles at 35 mph and 2 at 25 mph
There are about 6 turns and about 5 stops.

When driving in the 55 I drive just that, when driving in the 35 I go 41 so the converter is locked up. I use the cruise constantly when above 25 mph and do not use my brakes much.

More mpg can be gained by how you use the brakes than by how you use the throttle. One of these days I will try real hard, but currently testing the acetone in fuel tank right now.
i had a 1-2mpg increase by using acetone but only in the summer with the summer gas formula. after the gas companies switched over to winter formulas, acetone lowered mpg to 12 so i stopped using it and now im at 13-14mpg city.

Low 11 sec sleeper
My Cardomain
Old 01-23-2006, 03:04 PM   #11
534BC
AF Enthusiast

I really have serious doubts as to whether 2/10 of a % of anything added to the gas will increase or decrease the mileage of any vehicle a measurable amount, but I will do my best to give it a fair shot and test as accurately as I can. My first step is to get repeatable results without changing anything which is pretty hard to do. I have the same doubts about synthetic oil (for mileage increase claims)
Old 01-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #12
OverBoardProject
Banned

If you've got a GPS how about bringing it with you for a few trips.

I thought that my mileage was really bad, then I found out that I was really going over double the distance that my odometer really showed. (Not high on my list of things to fix unless I start getting paid mileage)

A GPS shows you the distance that the satalite sees, not taking hills into effect. So it still isn't perfect.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:15 PM   #13
billibong
AF Regular

In my '99 I generally get about 17-18 in the city and about 20-22 on the highway. I try to keep my truck in good runnign order, changing the oil every 5K and new plugs, wires, rotor and cap (3800 miles ago), fuel filter changed about 7K ago. 118000 miles on the engine.
1999 4dr 4WD LS
Sometimes it goes a little lower if I have a lot of idle time.
U/L Ball Joints, I/O Tie Rod Ends, New Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeves, New Idler Arm, R & L Front Hubs, R & L Upper CA Bushings, New Gabriel Ultramax Shocks (what a difference)
F & R Brakes and Rotors at 110,000.
Infinity Speakers to replace the blown factory sets.
162K+ and still kicking.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:38 AM   #14
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

quick ? for u guys (maybe stupid or not); would letting the truck fully warm up before driving it help mpg? sometimes i get in the truck after its been siting, start it up and immediately drive off. i usually don't think about it till after i've started driving .

Low 11 sec sleeper
My Cardomain
Old 01-24-2006, 09:16 AM   #15
OverBoardProject
Banned

If I remember correctly GM sayes anything more than 30 seconds warm up time is a waste of gas. (don't quote me on that)
So even a minute should be fine.

Don't push any vehicle hard for at least 10 min into a drive when starting of with a cold motor. You want all the oils to properly warm up first.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info