Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Engine and Transmission
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engine and Transmission Discuss Engine, Transmission, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Fryers
AF Newbie

1995 camaro crank but no start

Hi guys I have a 1969 camaro I just bought for $700 that didn't start. The guy that owned it told me he put new alt, new starter, new ignition coil pack, an ignition controler module plugs wires, rebuilt the heads with all new valves and seats and gasket... New quick disconnect fitting under throttle body and new coolant temp sensor. I pluged my scan too in and found it needed a new crankshaft position sensor. So I put a new one on. I found all the spark plugs were soaked. I cleaned them and tried starting again, it tries to start but won't. One time it backfired through the throttle body after it almost started. The only reason it almost started is because I cut off fuel to the engine and I let it sit for a day to dry out. I'm out of ideas. Would it be that I need new injectors?
Fryers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 1995 camaro crank but no start

Is it a 1995 or a 1969? Assume '95....

Which engine? I assume it's a 3.4.....did you replace the right one? There are two....

Did you check for spark? OK, on all cylinders? If no spark, that is your problem....

I don't know of any scan tool that can tell you a crank sensor is bad....it can tell you the circuit is bad, and by that, I mean, ANYTHING that is a part of the circuit....

If you have spark, I would disable fuel(remove fuse or disconnect injector harness).....remove the plugs....disable spark......crank the engine over several times to clear the cylinders.....then replace the plugs with new OEM plugs, properly gapped.....enable spark...

Hold throttle wide open.....now crank the vehicle several times....it may almost start or want to start........wait a few minutes, then crank again several times with wide open throttle......

Then, spray carb cleaner into the intake.....wait thirty seconds...now have someone crank while you spray carb cleaner into the intake......if vehicle runs as long as you spray, stop spraying and let it die......now enable fuel, and see if the vehicle starts.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
Fryers
AF Newbie

Thanks for getting back with me yes it is a 1995 3.4l I should have re read. I will give it a try. And my scan tool is a blue point YA3140 and it said bad crank sensor. I replaced it. Idk. I will give that a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
Fryers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Which one did you replace? The one behind the harmonic balancer or the one in the rear of the block(firewall side).....

Spark on all 6 cylinders?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Engine and Transmission