Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
dylanborns
AF Regular

Jeep CJ7 Electrical problem....

I'm having trouble with a '77 cj7 I just purchased. When I got it, I was having some minor electrical problems with headlights, turn signals, and the hazard lights. After some work and research, I tracked it down to bad fuses. After replacing the fuses and having everything work, I took it out for a spin. When I got home I noticed smoke from the engine comp. and after taking a look, noticed I had burned through the plastic line that goes to the fuel pressure gauge. I replaced that and tried to start the vehicle but had no power. Nothing electrical is working. The starter isn't even clicking. All of the fuses are good; the battery is brand new and I even took it back and had it tested; I used a tester and found I DO have power to the positive side of the starter solenoid; I think I found all of the grounds and made sure they were connected correctly; The battery cables don't have any corrosion on them and seem ok, I can get them tight on the battery post, but they are the old lead type. I can't really think of anything else to include. I know this jeep runs bc I've driven it a little bit everyday since I bought it. Any ideas?
dylanborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: Jeep CJ7 Electrical problem....

Look at the wiring at the starter their should be some fuse able links that may have burnt into two pieces. You may find some at a scrap yard otherwise use wire that is two wire sizes smaller than the big wire.
What burned the plastic tubing did you have a short.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: Jeep CJ7 Electrical problem....

Fusible links could be it....but also, check where the wiring goes through the firewall, or makes a turn, or passes anything sharp, or rubs against something. I'd bet there's some insulation rubbed off somewhere.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > General Discussion