Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Technical: How To... - FAQs
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Technical: How To... - FAQs All How To's and Frequently Asked Questions.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
Helmuth48
AF Regular

How to remove the starter from a 1995 3.8L V6 Firebird

OK....both manuals I have were only part right and the sheet I got from ALLData did not give any more information other than the bolt torque, which is 35ft/lbs. Here is the "rest of the story" ...

1. Disconnect the Battery ground cable from the battery
2. Raise the vehicle or use ramps....higher is better...but be safe.
3. Starter is on the Driver side. Taking off the tire is an option if on jackstands.
4. Remove the Starter shield. ( I did remove or loosen the exhaust, it was a waste of time..and I broke two of the bolts off in the manifold. Would not do that again!!!!
5. Disconnect both the electrical connectors from the starter..
6. Remove the starter bolts... 2 of them. Take the one off that held the shield first...easy to get too.
7. Now the 2nd bolt...a thin walled 15mm short socket. If you don't have a thin one, this is what is had to do...
8.. Remove the inspection cover bolts for the starter ring on the Driver side. Also remove the 2 side mount plate bolt ( 13mm socket). On the passenger side...you only need to loosen them about 3 turns...3 bolts and 2 side mount plates
9.. This will allow the inspection cover to move away (using a big screwdriver) enough to give clearance for the 15mm socket to go over the head of the bolt. (I used a 1/2 drive socket with a 8" extention)
10. Slowly remove the 2nd bolt...hold the starter...it will now almost fall out.
11. Basically reverse the process with the new starter. Check the manual for the torque specs for the other bolt. I guessed at it..could not find them in my manuals.
12. My car had no shims under the starter....I did not check the starter ring to pinion clearance... .5mm or .020"...

This procedure worked for me......Good Luck and Cheers...Dr. JJ
Helmuth48 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Technical: How To... - FAQs