Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Odyssey
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
master1printer
AF Newbie

2005 odyssey torque converter problem

I recently baught an 05 odyssey EXL with 110,000 on it. Everything checks out great but the locking torque converter seems to want to hang up at around 30 - 40 mph when slowly speeding up from cruising. Every once in a while it will shudder not wanting to disengage. If I give it a little more gas it comes right out of it and is fine again. This only happens when cruising at low speeds and being very easy on the gas trying to keep it on 3 cylynders. Is there anything I can do for this? Will a fluid change help it?
master1printer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Re: 2005 odyssey torque converter problem

I don't know about your particular vehicle, but typically the torque converter (TC) doesn't lock-up until around 45 mph under light load and will usually stay locked until the speed drops below 42 mph.

It's always a good idea to change all the fluids in a car you just bought because you never know what the history has been. For your transmission, check your owner's manual for the recommended change intervals...use the severe condition to be safe. When checking/changing, do a quick visual and sniff test of the fluid. Is it still reddish or pinkish? Or more of a gray? Is it clear or opaque? Does it smell burned? I can't describe what fresh tranny fluid smells like...but fluid in a tranny that has been neglected will have a burned smell to it.

You could go one step further to "flush" out all the bad fluid by performing multiple tranny fluid changes...2x or 3x...in order to dilute and get rid of the bad fluid that is retained in the TC. DO NOT use a commercial transmission flush at a shop.

Find out the capacity of your transmission in the owner's manual and buy enough fluid for two or preferably three changes. Drain the old stuff, replace the filter (if equipped), and refill. Run for a few hundred miles, then drain/refill again (leave filter alone). Then repeat a third time if so desired or willing.

This may or may not cure the shuddering problem but is usually self-evident after the first fluid change.

If not, then I'd look at the throttle position sensor. There is a position (or more directly, a voltage) for fuel cut-off (FCO). If the sensor has become worn at that position during cruise, the voltage may be reading incorrectly, causing the shudder as the ECM is fighting between allowing fuel and opening/closing the TC circuit. Check the terminals for good contact and ground.

I know this is alot to start with but good luck!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdmccright For This Useful Post:
master1printer (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
master1printer
AF Newbie

Re: 2005 odyssey torque converter problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmccright View Post
I don't know about your particular vehicle, but typically the torque converter (TC) doesn't lock-up until around 45 mph under light load and will usually stay locked until the speed drops below 42 mph.

It's always a good idea to change all the fluids in a car you just bought because you never know what the history has been. For your transmission, check your owner's manual for the recommended change intervals...use the severe condition to be safe. When checking/changing, do a quick visual and sniff test of the fluid. Is it still reddish or pinkish? Or more of a gray? Is it clear or opaque? Does it smell burned? I can't describe what fresh tranny fluid smells like...but fluid in a tranny that has been neglected will have a burned smell to it.

You could go one step further to "flush" out all the bad fluid by performing multiple tranny fluid changes...2x or 3x...in order to dilute and get rid of the bad fluid that is retained in the TC. DO NOT use a commercial transmission flush at a shop.

Find out the capacity of your transmission in the owner's manual and buy enough fluid for two or preferably three changes. Drain the old stuff, replace the filter (if equipped), and refill. Run for a few hundred miles, then drain/refill again (leave filter alone). Then repeat a third time if so desired or willing.

This may or may not cure the shuddering problem but is usually self-evident after the first fluid change.

If not, then I'd look at the throttle position sensor. There is a position (or more directly, a voltage) for fuel cut-off (FCO). If the sensor has become worn at that position during cruise, the voltage may be reading incorrectly, causing the shudder as the ECM is fighting between allowing fuel and opening/closing the TC circuit. Check the terminals for good contact and ground.

I know this is alot to start with but good luck!
Thanks I will do the fluid and filter change. The fluid does smell a little burnt and the color is a little cloudier than new, and I will check the TPS sensor. I will buy the repair manuel to get the correct voltage readings and compare them.
master1printer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
dra1
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 2005 odyssey torque converter problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by master1printer View Post
Thanks I will do the fluid and filter change. The fluid does smell a little burnt and the color is a little cloudier than new, and I will check the TPS sensor. I will buy the repair manuel to get the correct voltage readings and compare them.
Honda just came out with a new software update and it seems to have fixed the problem on my 2005 Odyssey.
dra1 is offline   Reply With Quote