Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 03:57 PM   #1
andrthad
AF Newbie

FM Modulator Install for IPOD

Hi All,

This is my 1st post to your lovely forum. I am trying to get my IPOD MP3 player working in my 2000 Xterra. I only have the FM/AM/CD stereo (no tape).

While at Best Buy I was presented two options:

1. Buy a deck with a 1/8" stereo input on the face plate ($165)
2. Buy this Kenwood FM Modulator with RCA plugs ($30)

I went the cheap route and am trying to install the FM Modulator. It seems pretty simple enough. One black wire (ground) and one red wire (hot). I was reading through my Haynes manual and it appears that there are two wires on the stereo that are hot.

1. red/green (hot only on ignition)
2. red/yellow (hot all the time)

My questions are:

1. Can someone double check me on the wiring listed above or send me a link.
2. Should I splice into the wires that are in the back of my stereo or find someway to integrate the new red wire into the nice and neat clip that currently plugs into the radio?
3. Should I just spend the extra money on the new deck because the sound quality is just so much better?
Old 10-10-2003, 06:50 PM   #2
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but cheaper is not always better. Your sound will be dramatically reduced thanks to the conversion from digital to frequency modulation (FM). You would be FAR better off sound wise using a component type head to run your MP3 CDs. But it is easy for me to spend your money. That choice is yours. If you really don't care about sound quality, then go for the FM modulation. If you do care about sound quality, go component system with RCA connectors. The FM modulator should have a simple two to three wire connection and attach in line with the vehicle's antenna wire. You generally have to set the radio to a specific frequency band to receive the FM modulated signal.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:24 PM   #3
Toy Man
AF Premium User

I saw mention of this on another forum:
Irock

No idea about sound quality.

Toy Man
Toy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 08:18 AM   #4
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

One of the guys in our club uses the Apple FM/Ipod one and seems to like it a lot. But what do I know. I've still got the damn stock radio in my truck.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:07 AM   #5
jdcars
AF Newbie

Re: FM Modulator Install for IPOD

I have yet to hear anything sound good that deals with an FM Modulator. You best bet is contacting www.mp3yourcar.com they make an adapter that hooks to the back of your stock deck. The sound quality is great and its easy to install “1 wire”.
jdcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:59 PM   #6
bartchilders
AF Newbie

I just put a 'hard-wired" FM modulator in my 2004 SE S/C - It sounds better than the wireless FM modulators/transmitters but still sounds much worse than a true Aux-input.

I'll probably put in a new Head-unit. I want to be sure that I won't have to remove/replace the factory amp and speakers, and that I can make the steering-wheel control work with one of the available adapters.
bartchilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
waltman
AF Newbie

Re: FM Modulator Install for IPOD

even though last post was years ago, there is a solution for those of you who have an 02-04 SE xterra w/ the rockford fosgate system. I will be posting instructions on a mod for the head unit later on this week. It allows a true AUX input into the head unit. I have it set up using a Blitzsafe universal ipod adapter (charges ipod and line outs to L+R RCA.) This input is switchable between audio from in-dash CD and the AUX with zero buzz silence.. soo clean. Anyways, I will post it on xterraowners

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/...;f=38;t=003536

waltman

Last edited by waltman; 02-13-2007 at 01:25 PM.
waltman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail