Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 09:08 AM   #1
Abivator88
AF Newbie

Exclamation 2005 Ford Focus 2.0L Rough Idle & Low Power

Hello,

TLDR;
  • 125000 Miles
  • Car sat for a year
  • Fuel stabilizer used
  • Ran for ~5min then smoke from tailpipe and died. Could not restart.
  • Replaced Fuel Pressure Sensor on fuel rail and was able to get the car started
  • Found Gasoline in Intake Manifold
  • Compression Test shows ~180psi for all 4 cylinders now.
  • Replaced Fuel Injectors, no change.
  • Scan tool shows ~40psi fuel pressure on fuel rail.
  • There are no active or pending Error Codes.
  • Video with sound of symptoms with scan tool live data stream.https://youtu.be/GFnC3ahu20k
Background Information:

This is definitely a bit of a long story but I am hoping to convey as much detail as I can. The story actually begins in February 2020 when the car was stolen. We then had to get another car to replace it, but 6 weeks after replacing the vehicle it was recovered! So then we had an "extra" vehicle that ran and drove really well for its age. My gf and I decided that we would keep it as a spare incase something happened and so I treated the fuel with Stabil fuel stabilizer and parked it with a car cover at my parents house out of the way. Then 2020 happened with lots of not driving even the 2 cars we kept as daily drivers. So about a year after parking it I decide to start it up without really expecting much trouble as I had never had any trouble with it to this point.

The Problem Starts:

After the year of being stationary I checked fluids and then the car started right up as expected and everything seemed normal. Then maybe 5 mins of idling and the car lets the smoke out. Big plume of smoke out of the tail pipe and the car dies and will crank but doesn't even sputter at this point. I get the car pushed into the garage and on the lift and start looking everything over.

Troubleshooting:

I started with a compression test which showed #1-180psi;#2-100psi;#3-140psi:#4-140psi. I assumed the rings were stuck and oiled the cylinders for a week and came back. Bore scoped the cylinders and did not find any major issues. Pulled the air intake and disconnected the down pipe to eliminate some possible obstructions. Raw fuel was coming out of the downpipe! This led me to the Fuel Pressure Sensor which fell apart in my hand when I removed it. When I replaced that sensor there was no longer fuel coming out of the down pipe, but the car still would not start. Although, Flood Clear mode would result in some sputtering. I then used the bore scope on intake and saw a shiny fluid in the bottom. I removed the intake manifold and found that it had at least 1 quart of gasoline in the bottom of it! Cleaned and dried out the intake and reinstalled it. Now the car starts but misses and acts like it's very rich. I check the intake again and do not see any gasoline accumulating there. I also went ahead and changed the oil, not the filter, to get rid of the possibility of lots of gas in the oil. Then my next thought is a stuck injector. I found some, honestly pretty cheap, remanufactured OEM Bosch injectors and install them with no change to how it runs. I decided to get a new OBD2 scanner that shows Live Data to make sure my Fuel Pump is still good and it is showing ~40psi on the rail which I believe to be normal pressure. After a few warmup cycles I rechecked the compression and all 4 cylinders are now reading ~180psi. I have a leak down tester but haven't used it on this car yet. My coolant reservoir shows full.

As It Stands:

At this point I believe that my fuel pressure, fuel pump and fuel injectors are functioning as they should and I am at a bit of a loss as to where to go from here. I uploaded a video to youtube to give a sense of how it runs and the video goes through all the live datastream pages that the OBD2 scanner I have has, link in TLDR. I think it is really odd that through this it hasn't had any error codes pop-up. I really do not want to put money into this car when it is not our main source of transportation and even if it functions perfectly is not worth a huge sum.

I am looking for some insight on what specifically to check for and how to better determine what the problem could be without through parts at it.

Thanks to everyone for any help I can receive. I really need it! ...ha
Abivator88 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max