Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
showshocka
AF Newbie

94 Caprice will not start((((HELP))))!!!

I have a 1994 Caprice Classic that will not start. For a couple months it was taking a while to start. when i would start it would turn and turn and turn until it would finally start. one morning i got into my car and it turned turned and turned and never started again. I am going to tell everybody exactly what i replaced so far, The fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, ignition coil, ignition control module, distributor cap and rotor along with having the timing chain changed, spark plugs and wires computer chip and knock sensors. Any more idea why it will not start?
showshocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: 94 Caprice will not start((((HELP))))!!!

You have replaced alot of stuff, have you verified fuel pressure and spark?
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by showshocka View Post
I have a 1994 Caprice Classic that will not start. For a couple months it was taking a while to start. when i would start it would turn and turn and turn until it would finally start. one morning i got into my car and it turned turned and turned and never started again. I am going to tell everybody exactly what i replaced so far, The fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, ignition coil, ignition control module, distributor cap and rotor along with having the timing chain changed, spark plugs and wires computer chip and knock sensors. Any more idea why it will not start?
what about the ECT temp sensor ? make sure with a pressure guage you get 45-48 psi fuel pressure. the opti connector needs checking. this can get damaged some have had this occur.

the distributor on these are very sensitive to coolant getting into them. this is because this is directly below the water pump weep hole. if the water pump leaks at this weep hole which does occur from time to time it will get into the distributor especially if this distributor has not been modified or updated with the venting of the 1995-1996 model year.

why was the timing chain replaced ? who had /came up with that idea ?

the other item which has caused this problem is the battery feed wire/connection to the underhood fuse box. this connection was not properly secured when this vehicle was built. over time many have had this melt and cause this no start problem.

big red wire to the fuse box at the fuse box......
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:28 AM   #4
showshocka
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech1 View Post
You have replaced alot of stuff, have you verified fuel pressure and spark?
The mechanic said that the pressure is fine but he's not getting a spark....
Old 12-15-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
showshocka
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
what about the ECT temp sensor ? the distributor on these are very sensitive to coolant getting into them. this is because this is directly below the water pump weep hole. if the water pump leaks at this weep hole which does occur from time to time it will get into the distributor especially if this distributor has not been modified or updated with the venting of the 1995-1996 model year.

why was the timing chain replaced ? who had /came up with that idea ?

the other item which has caused this problem is the battery feed wire/connection to the underhood fuse box. ......
I will get him to check the ECT. The distributor is brand new. the mechanic said that my timing chain was so loose that the timing marks were off, so he replaced it, said it had stretched. Will the car still try to turn over if the battery feed wire/connection has a problem? My car tries and tries and tries (chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga) to turn over but will not...I don't understand?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I will get him to check the ECT. The distributor is brand new. the mechanic said that my timing chain was so loose that the timing marks were off, so he replaced it, said it had stretched. Will the car still try to turn over if the battery feed wire/connection has a problem? My car tries and tries and tries (chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga) to turn over but will not...I don't understand?
I would get another auto tech to repair this vehicle. I hope you did not pay for all this work / parts and still no engine start .

The repairer is an idiot or a crook . timing chain on this is not an issue with this vehicle. this has a steel timing chain.

the chain could be worn if not properly maintained, but not stretched.

also what timing marks ,,,,, there are none. timing is not adjustable.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE LT1 ENGINE CORRECT?
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
showshocka (12-15-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
showshocka
AF Newbie

Quote:
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE LT1 ENGINE CORRECT?
this is what it looks like....he showed me how the two indentation dots did not line up, with the top dot at 6 and the button dot at 12.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LT1TimingSet.jpg (69.0 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by showshocka; 12-15-2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: picture
Old 12-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
this is what it looks like....he showed me how the two indentation dots did not line up, with the top dot at 6 and the button dot at 12.
as you and every one else can see with your picture how the hell does that chain stretch. that is a very strong chain not a belt that could stretch.

still however you are not the repairer you are a fruad victim...this guy should be XXXX.
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
showshocka (12-15-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #9
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:

if the ICM , is bad the engine will have no spark.

Last edited by j cAT; 12-15-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: error on crank sensor for 1994 LT1
Old 12-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
showshocka
AF Newbie

Quote:
I forgot to mention that the CPS crank position sensor can cause a no start. if this has no output the timing is gone as no signal no spark.
Thanks. Funny though, the mechanic said that my car does not have a crank position sensor... SMDH. He said that was the reason for replacing the knock sensors because they do the same job as the crank shaft sensors would do....This is getting more strange by the minute. i mean its only a 94 Chevy...i'm not a mechanic, but how much easier can it be?

Last edited by showshocka; 12-15-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
showshocka
AF Newbie

a few pictures.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #12
showshocka
AF Newbie

Everybody don't speak all at once now...........
Old 12-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #13
maxwedge
A990 racer

Hmm maybe people are at work, ( we hope) and do not have the time right now? Retired here, so let's see what we can do. Someone has to trace down the cause of no spark, simple, it is an ignition problem, from here we cannot do onsite diagnosis, none of the work done relates to no spark other than the pcm, coil and ign. module, Inside the dist there is also a pick up. And of course wiring connections.. The knock sensors have no affect on starting, J Cat's advice seems to sum it up.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #14
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks. Funny though, the mechanic said that my car does not have a crank position sensor... SMDH. He said that was the reason for replacing the knock sensors because they do the same job as the crank shaft sensors would do....This is getting more strange by the minute. i mean its only a 94 Chevy...i'm not a mechanic, but how much easier can it be?

your vehicle 1994 does not have a crank sensor ...my 1996 LT1 has a crank and cam position sensor. these provide a more accurate timing/control with the opti distributor computer controlled system..

you 1994 though not as accurate as the 1996 is still a very accurate timing system. when the engine rotates the cam connected to the opti distributor tells the engine where its at. so no signal no start...

this is where the opti can cause no spark if damaged..

Last edited by j cAT; 12-15-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: error on 1994 crank sensor LT1 engine
Old 12-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #15
showshocka
AF Newbie

WOW....but what is the PCM?