Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 08:30 PM   #1
TonyMadrid
TonyMadrid

turn signal problem

Hi Guys,

I have a 2002 Malibu with automatic daytime running lights and headlights that automatically turn on at dusk.

For the past two weeks I have been experiencing an intermittent problem with my turn signal lights. They function properly for most of the time. However, occasionally, they just don't work.

Tonight, when I got into my car they didn't work, but after driving on an expressway for about 30 miles they started working again.

The four way hazard lights function without any problems.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? And, if so what was the cause and remedy?

I haven't yet tried to locate the flasher, but I think it is the same flasher unit that services the hazard lights, and they function. It also is apparently not a fuse as the light do work sometimes.

I suspect it may be a relay of some king that may be hanging up or sticking.

Any advise or help will be greatly appreciated.

Tony
TonyMadrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:35 PM   #2
e2helper
AF Regular

Re: turn signal problem

You are correct, the "flasher" for hazard and turn signal function is same unit. It is built into the Hazard Switch. It is fed by battery and ignition fuses for each function but it has its own electronics.

I see there was Campaign #03043A on 2000 and 2001 Model Year Malibu/Alero/Grand Am for this part but since your's is a 2002 it shouldn't be impacted - but I thought I would let you know.
e2helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:07 AM   #3
wpbharry
AF Regular

The campaign which e2helper is referring to was an actual recall (in the rare event the word campaign is confusing). If yours is a very early '02, they might fix it gratis. Worth a try.
wpbharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:14 AM   #4
TonyMadrid
TonyMadrid

Turn signal recall

Just spoke with the dealer and they said that my 2002 is not covered by the Campaign. I have 51K on the car and I have an extended warranty. However, the dealer advised that the way the warranty works is that I have to bring the vehicle in and they will diagnose the problem. Once diagnosed, they will contact the warranty company to see if the repair would be covered. If it isn't I'm on my own and I have to pay for the time they took to diagnose the problem. If it is, they will repair it but there is a $100.00 deductible.

The service guy wouldn't even discuss the details of the recall/campaign that you guys mentioned above.

Does anyone have a copy or at least the details of the campaign bulletin. Or, perhaps a site where I can find a copy of the campaign bulletin.

I will do a google search for it in the meantime.

Thanks for the help guys,

Tony
Old 04-15-2004, 01:54 PM   #5
TonyMadrid
TonyMadrid

Turn signal recall

Hi Guys,

Spoke with the dealer and they won't provide any satisfaction!

I got a copy of the recall and it doesn't cover my model year.

Delaer will replace hazard switch at a cost of about $75.00 ( parts and labor). The part is only $30.00, so I I'm on my way to buy the part and replace it myself.

I also called GM directly and they won't accommodate me other than to say that if there is a future recall they will reimburse me my cost to have the problem corrected. So, I guess I will keep the receipt for the part and if there is a future recall I will bill them for the part and $45.00 labor to replace the part.

Thanks again, and if anyone has a similar problem call GM at 800-630-2438 to report the problem. Also, if anyone else has a similar problem, contact me and I'll be glad to walk you through the fix, it's an easy fix!

Tony
Old 04-15-2004, 03:12 PM   #6
wpbharry
AF Regular

I have GMPP on my '98 (for 4.5 more months, then the car is history). I've had much better satisfaction by calling GMPP myself and not relying on the service writer. I think your problem should be covered, if your plan is GMPP. The service writer and I have received different opinions on many occasions, with my call always getting the better answer.
wpbharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 10:54 AM   #7
TonyMadrid
TonyMadrid

warranty

The warranty that I have does cover the problem, however, there is a $100.00 deductible. For the dealer to repair the problem, they will charge for the labor to diagnose the problem and then the actual cost of the repair (part and labor) is approx. 75.00. For me to go that route the total bill would be the $75.00 plus the labor charge for dignosing the problem, would would probably be about $50.00. That would leave me paying $100.00 because of the deductible.

The alternatives are:

Just assume that the faulty hazard switch is in fact the problem and pay the dealer only $75.00, to replace the switch. or

As I did, buy the part, it actually came to only $29.00, and replace it myself.

Sure better than paying $75.00 or $100.00.

To replace the switch, I had to remove two screws that held the dash panel trim. They are located just above the gauges. Once removed, unplug the hazard switch electrical connector. Then there are two screws on the back of the trim panel that hold the AC/Heat vents and hazard switch asseblies in place. This small panel removes from the back of the trim panel. Removing this makes it much easier to get to the two plastic tabs that hold the hazard switch in place. Depress the two tabs and push the switch out to towards the front of the small panel.

The new switch just pushes into the panel until the new tabs seat and then the rest of the assembly is a simple reverse of the removal procedure.

The hold repair took less then fifteen minutes.

On another note, when I was at the parts counter I was approached by a Rep from GM's Research & Development Unit and we spoke about the recall problemm (recall is for model years 2000 & 2001, yet the problem exists on a model year 2002) He advised me to call the GM 800 number which I told him I had done. He then advised me to write a letter to GM explaining my problem and include a copy of the receipt for the new switch and he claims there is a good chance they would more than likely reimburse me the cost of the switch.

I will probably do that next week and if I get some positive results I will post iy here.

Thanks,

Tony
Old 04-22-2004, 01:33 PM   #8
Jay99
AF Newbie

Tony,

Great post! Just in time...

I've been experiencing the very same problem with my 99 Malibu.
When it manifested itself the first time I immediately suspected the hazard switch. I was just too lazy to dig under the dash... my temp soution: when it happens, I mash the flashers button with most of my 170 lb... it works like a charm...
However, based on your post, and now knowing that it takes about 15 minutes & $30 to replace, I'm going to do it...

So, thanks again...
Jay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:41 AM   #9
abitbent
AF Newbie

Same problem here with my 02 with only 60K on it. Like Jay above i found bashing the crap out of the side of the hazzard switch usually frees it up. I wonder if it's just a relay, if there is any way to service or clean it. $30 for a replacement doens't sound bad, however usually in Canada the prices are higher. I'm going to have to fix mine sooner or later too. It only seems to stop working when a cop is behind me.

bent
abitbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:00 AM   #10
lbratgirl2000
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to lbratgirl2000 Send a message via Yahoo to lbratgirl2000

i have the same problem with my '97
lbratgirl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:03 PM   #11
Terrandus
AF Newbie

Re: Turn signal recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMadrid
Hi Guys,

Spoke with the dealer and they won't provide any satisfaction!

I got a copy of the recall and it doesn't cover my model year.

Delaer will replace hazard switch at a cost of about $75.00 ( parts and labor). The part is only $30.00, so I I'm on my way to buy the part and replace it myself.

I also called GM directly and they won't accommodate me other than to say that if there is a future recall they will reimburse me my cost to have the problem corrected. So, I guess I will keep the receipt for the part and if there is a future recall I will bill them for the part and $45.00 labor to replace the part.

Thanks again, and if anyone has a similar problem call GM at 800-630-2438 to report the problem. Also, if anyone else has a similar problem, contact me and I'll be glad to walk you through the fix, it's an easy fix!

Tony
Did you have to drop the steering colomn to get to it?
Terrandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 02:13 PM   #12
abitbent
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Turn signal recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrandus
Did you have to drop the steering colomn to get to it?

The signal relay is easy to get at. It's part of the hazzard switch. I got one from the wreckers for $15.
abitbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:20 AM   #13
Dawnna
AF Newbie

Here is the recall from the NHTSA ... our 98 has this problem, too, but the 2001's are covered by this one only ... how sad!

Make : CHEVROLET Model : MALIBU Year : 2001
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V327000 Recall Date : AUG 27, 2003
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HAZARD FLASHING WARNING LIGHTS:SWITCH
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 670740
Summary:
CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES HAVE HAZARD WARNING SWITCHES THAT MAY EXPERIENCE SOLDER JOINT CRACKING CAUSED BY RAPID TEMPERATURE TRANSITIONS AND THE SOLDERING PROCESS. IF SOLDER JOINT CRACKING OCCURS AND RESULTS IN AN OPEN CIRCUIT, THE TURN SIGNALS/HAZARD LAMPS BECOME INTERMITTENT OR INOPERATIVE.
Consequence:
WHEN THE TURN SIGNALS ARE INOPERATIVE, THE DRIVER CANNOT USE THEM TO SIGNAL INTENT TO TURN THAT COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE HAZARD WARNING SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 5, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668, OR OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-630-6537.
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 03043. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
Dawnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
Trish Young
AF Newbie

To all of you with the 2002 Malibu with this problem....they DID do a recall for the 2002. HOWEVER, they did NOT do a recall on the 2003 and it has the SAME problem. I have filed a complaint with the federal government safer car division. ANYONE with ANY factory problems with ANY car needs to file a complaint by calling 800-424-9393 or on line at safercar.gov. This is the ONLY way that GM or any other car company will be required to FIX the problem! I am waiting to hear what happens with my complaint. I understand that I can spend up to $100.00 and it will be fixed, but since GM KNOWS that this is a problem and is DANGEROUS, I am hoping enough of us will complain to the government so that GM will HAVE to fix it free of charge.
Trish Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
saton269
AF Newbie

I had the same problem with my 04 Malibu i was told if it happens to just hit the hazard button few times and it should fix it, i can't remember what caused it though
saton269 is offline   Reply With Quote