Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
RASCARS
AF Newbie

Angry AC Temperature at Vents???

My 2005 LS V8 with just under 100K on it, had the AC compressor leak out all its oil onto the garage floor. New Compressor time.

I made a few phone calls and found that the Lincoln dealer was competitively priced for the replacement and was supposed to use Ford/Lincoln Parts. So I had them do the job.

When I picked up the car, I looked at the bill and noticed that the accumulator had NOT been replaced. I thought this was standard operating procedure on a compressor exchange, but the service adviser told me that this is no longer done unless the system had "aspirated" foreign materials into the system. Mine apparently did not have this issue.

So the compressor was changed and now the vent temp is much warmer than it was before the system was changed. I took it back to the dealer and they evacuated the system and recharged it stating that the "Vent temp is 40 degrees".

The system still won't cool the car as did the original factory system.

The system seems to warm up when in traffic and cool down on the highway-much like an old R1 system that had been converted to R134.

The climate control is set at 71 degrees on a rainy evening when the exterior temp is 74 degrees and the fan is blowing and blowing trying to cool the car. Raise the temp to 73 and the fan calms down to a "normal" level, but the car will not be cool inside.

My questions are:

1) should the accumulator have been changed at the time of the replacemnt of the compressor?
2) Will replacing the accumulator help the situation I am having?
3) What suggestions, can anyone give me.

I am getting tired of taking the car back only to have it returned marginally better but no where near what I had with the original system.

Am I asking for too much?

Thank you for taking time to read this.

Any and all advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!

Bob:
RASCARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: AC Temperature at Vents???

Pasted below is information from the factory service manual. Note that this specifically mentions "internal failure of the old unit". If your compressor just had a leak and it wasn't a problem with the compressor itself, this would not necessarily apply. The "accumulator" would be the same as the "receiver/drier".

-Rod
------------
CAUTION: If installing a new air conditioning compressor due to an internal failure of the old unit, you must carry out the following procedures to remove contamination from the air conditioning system.
  • If A/C flushing equipment is available, carry out the flushing of the air conditioning system prior to installing a new air conditioning compressor. For additional information, refer to Section 412-00 .
  • If A/C flushing equipment is not available, carry out filtering of the air conditioning system after a new air conditioning compressor has been installed. For additional information, refer to Section 412-00 .
  • Install a new thermostatic expansion valve, as directed by the A/C flushing or filtering procedure.
  • Install a new receiver/drier, as directed by the A/C flushing or filtering procedure.
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shorod For This Useful Post:
RASCARS (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
RASCARS
AF Newbie

Thank you so much for responding so quickly Rod.

May I ask you another question please?

What does the expansion valve do?

Thank you,

Bob
Old 05-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
joegr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASCARS View Post
Thank you so much for responding so quickly Rod.

May I ask you another question please?

What does the expansion valve do?

Thank you,

Bob
"The TXV is located between the evaporator core lines and the thermostatic expansion valve manifold and tube assembly at the rear of the engine compartment. The TXV provides a restriction to the flow of refrigerant from the high pressure side of the refrigerant system, and separates the low pressure and high pressure sides of the refrigerant system. Refrigerant entering and exiting the evaporator core passes through the TXV through 2 separate flow paths. An internal temperature sensing bulb senses the temperature of the refrigerant flowing out of the evaporator core and adjusts an internal pin-type valve to meter the refrigerant flow into the evaporator core. The internal pin-type valve decreases the amount of refrigerant entering the evaporator core at lower temperatures, and increases the amount of refrigerant entering the evaporator core at higher temperatures."

You can diagnose a problem with the thermal expansion valve by monitoring the high and low pressures (along with temperature). If there was contamination from the old compressor, not only do the receiver/dryer and thermal expansion valve need to be replaced, but the new compressor does as well. It will be damaged by the metal bits in the system by now. Your symptoms sound more like a bad (even though new) compressor more than anything else.

(I would assume that there was contaimination if you ran it till it stopped working. The oil leaks out before the refrigerant because of the location of the leak on the compressor. Then the compressor starts to tear apart. I replaced mine when I first saw the oil leaking, before it ran out.)
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joegr For This Useful Post:
RASCARS (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #5
RASCARS
AF Newbie

Thank you Joegr for your insight and information. The car went back to the dealer late last night-second time this week. I sent an email to the GM of the Service Department and the GM of the Dealership detaining my experience so far. Hopefully, this will get resolved. With the information you and Rod were so kind to give me, I will be able to have an intelligent and informed discussion.

I will let you know the final outcome.

Bob
Old 05-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
RASCARS
AF Newbie

Where is the expansion valve located on my 2005 Lincoln LS 3.9?
The dealer tells me they need to remove the dash to get to it.
I did a little research on line and saw where a 2000 V 6 model had it located on the firewall.

Is it difficult to remove and replace?

Anyone that has information Please let me know. I am having a real issue with this dealer.

Thank you

Bob
Old 05-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
joegr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASCARS View Post
Where is the expansion valve located on my 2005 Lincoln LS 3.9?
The dealer tells me they need to remove the dash to get to it.
I did a little research on line and saw where a 2000 V 6 model had it located on the firewall.

Is it difficult to remove and replace?

Anyone that has information Please let me know. I am having a real issue with this dealer.

Thank you

Bob
The expansion valve on all years and engines of the LS is inside. The "Thermostatic Expansion Valve Manifold and Tube Assembly" is the part that is under the hood at the firewall. The valve itself is inside with the evaporator. The entire dash does have to come out to replace it.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joegr For This Useful Post:
RASCARS (05-24-2012)