Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
breakbredquick
AF Newbie

Need Some Direction.... Stumped

My harmonic balancer was on its way to cupuut. So i bought a new one and installed it, pretty simple process other than the one and only bolt that i believed turned the camshaft a few times.<--- (Could this have thrown my timing off) Car started up and drove 10 miles home care free. I wake up the next day drive about 2 miles on the interstate and all the sudden the car isnt accelerating. Look down rpms are dropping and the engines not reving, then it catches and tries to accelrate and then stops again. I pull over car in neutral coasting to a stop and try to restart. Cranks and cranks but wont start up. Walk 2 miles home, come back an hour later car starts up right away and i throw it into gear and it dies. So i feathered the brake and gas to keep it from dieing when i switch it into gear. And make it home throwing it in neutral when approaching lights. Now it will start a few times when left alone for awhile but wont start if you keep starting it. I can get like 6-8 starts and then it will decide to not startup again. Other than that, when i throw it into any gear but neutral the car will die unless i shoot rpms up 2 3000 then throw it in gear, but the minute i let that gas sit the rpm's steady fall. Changed the harmonic balancer wich was the only problem at the time. Figured i give a tune up so changed plugs, wires, oil, o2 sensor and a MAF sensor ($200 that didnt fix the problem.) Gonna change the fuel filter tomoro and see if that fixs both problems but highly doubt it, fuel pump i can hear working so i excluded that one. Im down to IAC motor, EGR valve, PCV valve, or the fuel pressure regulator somehow blocking fuel to the rail. Will perform PCV valve shake test and hopefully exclude that and an egr valve isnt cheap so is there a way i can test it or something. Im so lost on were look now.

BTW i took it to JENSEN TIRE for a diagnostics, spent a hundred bucks and recieved a diagnostics that my 5 yr old sister could have diagnosed. Anywayz screw them that wont be happening again so i need you guyz, anything.
breakbredquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
breakbredquick
AF Newbie

Re: Need Some Direction.... Stumped

Oh yea i have also checked all visible vacume lines and as bad as i want it to only be a vacume leak i found none nor do i hear any hissing or anything. I just dont see how it drives home jus fine and then now it wont start everytime nor go into gear at idle or idle when in gear. Also has a relativley new TPS sensor that Jensen Tire did set to factory specs so they say!
Old 09-30-2008, 05:59 AM   #3
maxwedge
A990 racer

You can hear the pump run but how much pressure is it putting out, check the fuel pressure.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:14 AM   #4
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

BTW, what year is this car?

HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
breakbredquick
AF Newbie

pcv valve has been checked and its good. fuel pressure has not been checked but for my understanding it needs to be around 47 psi. btw the car is a 1990 buick riviera 3.8L V6. ill get back to with the exact reading of that.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
breakbredquick
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakbredquick
pcv valve has been checked and its good. fuel pressure has not been checked but for my understanding it needs to be around 47 psi. btw the car is a 1990 buick riviera 3.8L V6. ill get back to with the exact reading of that.
k guys fuel pressure test kit cost 45 bucks a lil pricey for my hopefully intended one time use, especially when a new pumps only $73. I replaced the fuel filter and nothings changed. Is it possible the fuel pump turns on and works just isnt pushing enough gasoline therefore needs to be replaced? Or, is it my fuel pressure regulator who is at fault?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
maxwedge
A990 racer

Again, there is no way to answer this, either could be bad and can only be diagnosed using a gage. Pay a mechanic to check it, maybe it would be less than buying one.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #8
breakbredquick
AF Newbie

Got a fuel pressure gage and the fuel pressure is 40 psi key on and 37 psi engine started. Now that tells me my pump is all good. I bought a new cam sensor due to a cam sensor failure code pre harmonic balancer swap, after the swap theres no cam sensor failure code. but now im thinking i may need a camshaft positioning sensor. Were exactly can i find my cam sensor and should i even switch it and also weres the camshaft positioning sensor located, i found two plugs i dont know what they are in the lower passenger side rear of the block any ideas be greatly appreciated. Ive got volt meter if i need to test em just need a slight walkthrough
Old 10-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
breakbredquick
AF Newbie

Ok i switched out the cam sensor with a fresh new one and nothing, same problem and another batch of money waisted on a needless part. Im going after the camshaft positioning sensor now and my only part not replaced left is an egr valve. I sure hope my torque converters not locked up or something that all this money could be going to a mechanic to do.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Quote:
I bought a new cam sensor due to a cam sensor failure code pre harmonic balancer swap, after the swap theres no cam sensor failure code. but now im thinking i may need a camshaft positioning sensor.
Did you mean to say the crank position sensor (CKPS), or have you changed the cam position sensor two times? Your last two post are confusing!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #11
breakbredquick
AF Newbie

Yes Z sorry about that i did the same thing at the auto parts store. I did mean crankshaft positoning sensor, meaning i put on a new camshaft positioning sensor and now got a crankshaft positioning sensor. I think im going to clean the fuel injectors before i put the crankshaft positioning sensor on.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #12
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Quote:
My harmonic balancer was on its way to cupuut. So i bought a new one and installed it, pretty simple process other than the one and only bolt that i believed turned the camshaft a few times.<--- (Could this have thrown my timing off)
NO

When you installed the new balancer, did you check the gap between the CKPS and reluctor ring? If not, it may be damaged. What brand of balancer did you install. The reason I ask is, they are not all the same quality. Click Here for more details on that, then Click Here for A DIY method for checking the gap. Good Luck!

Old 10-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #13
breakbredquick
AF Newbie

Thanks for the help Z but i dropped it off at a mechanic and he figured out my new $200 MAF sensor was a dud or at least broke, swapd it out and now she's runnin like a beauty. I appreciate the help thanks alot.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #14
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

We appreciate the feedback. It is not that uncommon to get a defective "rebuilt" MAF nowdays. Glad to here she's running normal again!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera