Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
exalteduser
Goober

Cool 94 s-10 blazer 4.3 w temp guage!

Ok so i just got this beast(for really cheap) Been going through what the past owners have neglected. has 133k miles

The Temp Guage will not work.

So today i went to autozone and bought the sending unit,http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...dName=Duralast was 11.99 and it was on the top/front of engine tucked in behind the ac compressor/therm etc.

Well guess what it still just sits on 0 degrees. Now i see a sensor on the drivers side somewhat near the middle cyl. I originally thought this was the temp one, but after i bought i realized it was elsewhere and found it.

Been reading on here about these things having 2 or 3 sensors, and I am wondering if this one on the drivers side is what i am looking for, like is it just to the guage while the one i changed was to the computer? (Kinda looks like it sets inside a metal doughnut ring thingy.)

Problem is I cant find another one at the parts places, anyone can confirm/deny or maybe post a link/part number to the one i am looking for?

Thank you so much for any reply!!!!!

Edit: I have no voltage meter or any way to test that

flushed the coolant the best i could. (not a backflush, just drain, fill run, drain fill run with water over and over.)
exalteduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Gabe25
AF Enthusiast

Re: 94 s-10 blazer 4.3 w temp guage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalteduser View Post
Ok so i just got this beast(for really cheap) Been going through what the past owners have neglected. has 133k miles

The Temp Guage will not work.

So today i went to autozone and bought the sending unit,http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...dName=Duralast was 11.99 and it was on the top/front of engine tucked in behind the ac compressor/therm etc.

Well guess what it still just sits on 0 degrees. Now i see a sensor on the drivers side somewhat near the middle cyl. I originally thought this was the temp one, but after i bought i realized it was elsewhere and found it.

Been reading on here about these things having 2 or 3 sensors, and I am wondering if this one on the drivers side is what i am looking for, like is it just to the guage while the one i changed was to the computer? (Kinda looks like it sets inside a metal doughnut ring thingy.)

Problem is I cant find another one at the parts places, anyone can confirm/deny or maybe post a link/part number to the one i am looking for?

Thank you so much for any reply!!!!!

Edit: I have no voltage meter or any way to test that

flushed the coolant the best i could. (not a backflush, just drain, fill run, drain fill run with water over and over.)
OK, it sounds like you got the Temp. Sensor (#36403 ), when should of gotten a Temp. Sender Part # TS253. Your Temp Sender is located just below the number 3 spark plug. You should see 1 wire coming out of it. Post back your findings.

My Fleet

Gabe25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
exalteduser
Goober

what i bought was #SU109 from autozone, the one from the link above.

it appears to look the same as the ts253 you suggested. ill take a look into it, doesn't look like the one near my #3. (but it does have 1 wire)

Thanks, ill update tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
exalteduser
Goober

ok here we go. I have pics! sorry i dont have the book for this blazer yet so im still pretty unsure as to the cyl positions yet.

this is whats on the drivers side, is that it? doesnt look like it

here is passenger side, near dipstick, that has 1 wire too.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
Leeann94astro
AF Regular

It's the one on the passenger side - but that's for the ECM (I think). The one on the driver's side is the knock sensor.

The one you bought is the 2-wire sender for the gauge, mounted on the front of the engine.

AutoZone has repair info online on the menubar. It's info from the Chilton's or Haynes, one of 'em, and will help if you have nothing else. I have a '93, but the engines are the same, so here's a link:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c1528003d503

Have you checked your thermostat? It's quite possible it's stuck open and the truck never heats up.
Leeann94astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Gabe25
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalteduser View Post
ok here we go. I have pics! sorry i dont have the book for this blazer yet so im still pretty unsure as to the cyl positions yet.

this is whats on the drivers side, is that it? doesnt look like it

here is passenger side, near dipstick, that has 1 wire too.
OK, That's the Knock Sensor. Try looking on the other side of the block around plug number 4.

My Fleet

Old 08-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
exalteduser
Goober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe25 View Post
OK, That's the Knock Sensor. Try looking on the other side of the block around plug number 4.
the second picture is the other side(passenger), right under the rusty dipstick tube! that has 1 wire on it but i didnt see if it was the right one or not, was trying to stay clean for an appointment.

therm ok, coolant does get warm. the gauge just sits on dead, im wondering if that isnt whats fried, in that case ill buy an auxilarry one i suppose
Old 08-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
Gabe25
AF Enthusiast

Here's a little something to see the difference. Note the pin positioning.
Temp Sensor
[img=http://s1d4.turboimagehost.com/t/2049234_Temp_Sensor.jpg]

Temp Sender
[img=http://s1d4.turboimagehost.com/t/2049235_Temp_Switch.jpg]

My Fleet

Old 08-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
exalteduser
Goober

Yea i see the difference now, i pulled the plug off mine thats the one. gonna pick that up and tackle it tommorow, too rainy today. thanks, and ill post back to let ya know if that enables the gauge to work again

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
coolant , sending , sensor , temp , unit
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis