Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 10:59 PM   #1
l_eclipse_l
AF Enthusiast

Belt squeal after it rains

Hey guys I'm new to the forum, just wanted to post up a quick question.

I have searched this site a few times on this subject, and I have yet to find an actual fix for it. Heres my problem.

Anytime that it rains or is damp out, even if my car is sitting in the garage when I start it, the belt squeals really bad for some reason. I have had the problem checked out numberous times by different mechanics, and they tell me they don't know what to do. I have replaced several belts (can't remember which ones), and also had them tightened more than once.

My question is: Has anyone come up with real solution to the squealing, after replacing and re-tightening belts? I also tried that stupid belt dressing shit, and it makes it worse. I know this is a common problem, but have seen no real solution. Please let me know if you tried something and it ACTUALLY WORKED. Thanks.

P.S. I drive a 99 GS with 60,000 miles.

Zoom Stage 1 Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjewer1
I disagree. Better is better. Bigger is just bigger.

I just made that up, and I like it.
l_eclipse_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:08 PM   #2
metalhedskater
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to metalhedskater
Re: Belt squeal after it rains

might wanna try the belt squeek lubricant you can get at autozone...but i really can only thing of one problem....your belts need to be retightened....take it to a mechanic that actually know how to put a belt on our cars....I had the same problem and the fix was the belts needed to be tightened.....Good luck!

99 GST/evo 3 16g/3" Catback/Intake w/filter/UICP/1g BOV/Complete prothane motor mount inserts/Boost gauge/AF ratio gauge/MBC/NGK Plugs/HotWires/17" Sport edition fox 5 racing rims w/Fuzion tires

One retarded ass site! Geeeeeeeee
My Car
[url=http://www.myspace.com/nobledsm[/URL]
metalhedskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:21 PM   #3
l_eclipse_l
AF Enthusiast

Thx for the suggestion. I had been taking it to a Dodge/Chrysler dealership where my dad works, because the closest Mitsubishi dealer is 45 min away, and my N/T has a lot of Chrysler blood in it anyway. Also I noticed that the squealing does die down after awhile of warming up, but never completely goes away. Just thought I'd mention that.

Zoom Stage 1 Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjewer1
I disagree. Better is better. Bigger is just bigger.

I just made that up, and I like it.
l_eclipse_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:24 PM   #4
RADMANX
AF Regular

It may not be your belts. for a while my car would squeek during rain/damp weather and would go away after driving for like 2-3 minutes. it continued on like this until the squeek would not go away. now every time i am idle i hear this loud metal on metal shreak. turns out my main (Ac/powersteering) belt TENSIONER is going bad and the dealership wants $125 for a new one. fuck them.

2000 Honda Civic EX
Just starting...
RADMANX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:16 AM   #5
Harder Faster
AF Regular

If you've tried changing and tightening your belts and that doesn't work, try your pulleys (alternator, powersteering pump, AC).

I had the EXACT same problem. The squeeking would happen whenever it rained or was moist outside, but would seem to go away when the car heated up.

You have to listen real closely and find out where exactly the squeeking is coming from.

\Sleep"er\, n. 1. One who sleeps; a slumberer
Harder Faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:11 AM   #6
wuman82
AF Enthusiast

Yea, I have the same problem. I have tightened the belts and it still squeeks. Don't really have the money to get all the belts replaced, and it looks too complicated for me to do it myself. Sigh...

98 Eclipse GS
CAI
More to come, can't be fast enough.
wuman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:21 PM   #7
96spyderman
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 96spyderman Send a message via MSN to 96spyderman

I just put a new alt. belt on last fall and I have retightened it twice.... It won't go any further.... It squeels when it's cold and even when it warms up and I have the heat/fan on it causes it to squeek...my headlights dim a nit till the squeeking stops.... I think a new Alt might be the answer.....
Old 01-25-2005, 05:32 PM   #8
DSMNerd6889
AF Regular

I had a problem with sqeaky belts, and it was the exact opposite of what most of you guys are saying. My belts were too tight. You might check the specs in a manual and see how much play you should have in your belts. Just a thought.

PTE SC6152e, tubular manifold, FIC 650's, wiseco/eagle internals, dsmlink, TRE tranny, Apexi dp and cat-back, Apexi EGT and Boost Gauges and Turbo Timer, Megan Racing FPR, Walboro 255 Pump and much more to come.
DSMNerd6889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:25 PM   #9
ashah000
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ashah000

Its a DSM thing. I just deal with it, it does not hurt the car sure it can get annoying, but I don't care. Probally cause my exhaust is too loud and I can't hear it but thats another story
Old 01-26-2005, 08:47 AM   #10
kjewer1
AF - Advisor

Too tight and you reduce the life of the bearings in the accessories and put a higher side load on the main crank bearings. Too loose and it will squeal and deteriorate. The trick is to find that happy medium, as loose as possible without slipping.

Just changing the belts wont help if the pulleys are all crudded up with old belt shaving and last months belt dressing Clean those bitches off with brake cleaner, then install factory belts (some aftermarkets really suck, they strech by the time thermostat opens up), and tension properly. If that doesnt do it start looking into bad bearings in pulleys or accessories themselves.
kjewer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:19 PM   #11
RSLaser
AF Regular

First off, figure out which belt is squeaking (there are 3). Then if its the belt for the altern. tighten it at the alternator. If its the belt for the water pump, then there is only 1 tensioner you can adjust. Rotate the tensioner (the bolt isnt in the center kind of cocked to one side).
Old 01-26-2005, 02:44 PM   #12
bighauns
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to bighauns

I have had bad experience with the spray on lubricant stuff. It deteriorates the belts hardcore. If there is an issue with sqealing, don't just cover it up with the spray, fix the issue. I also had that issue and I found that it was the alternatory pulley, and the nice thing is I had a new alternator on the way and that fixed the problem.

bighauns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:20 AM   #13
lynb362002
AF Newbie

I found that my splash guard underneath the belt area was missing. Caused squealing when it rained and splashed up on pulleys.
lynb362002 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic