Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 06:22 PM   #16
JG95/97
AF Newbie

Re: Life of a Blazer Engine

well I bought my 97 blazer 4x4 for 2000.00 a year ago with 208,000 miles on it. Now it has 220,500. Runs great no problems
JG95/97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:44 PM   #17
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG95/97
well I bought my 97 blazer 4x4 for 2000.00 a year ago with 208,000 miles on it. Now it has 220,500. Runs great no problems
Save up for an ignition switch, it will happen if it hasn't already been replaced.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:26 AM   #18
JG95/97
AF Newbie

thanks for the tip. What happens when an ignition switch fails?
JG95/97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #19
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG95/97
thanks for the tip. What happens when an ignition switch fails?
Won't start.
Tranny shifting problems
Random O2 sensor codes
Not fuel pump prime
Dash lights going crazy
Random unexplainable check engine lights.
Tranny slipping codes when slipping is not occuring..
Old 04-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #20
vtmecheng
AF Regular

I will also go behind the civic comment. While my '95 S10 pickup has yet to leave me stranded I have done a decent amount of work on her. Like has already been said, it is the little stuff like fuel pump, fuel filter, and 4x4 parts that get you. Is the truck a shift on the floor 4x4 or push button? Is it manual or automatic? The floor shift 4x4 tends to be a little more reliable, I did have to replace the vacuum actuator switch once and the vacuum hoses. The manual trany in mine has been great with 162K on it and I don't know much about the auto trany.
vtmecheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:07 AM   #21
Josh Smith
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Josh Smith

I bought my '93 Bravada about a year ago. It now has around 189,000 miles on it.

I did a tune-up and found the cap'n'rotor to be original! Had to actually chisel the rotor off.

The plugs looked fine. Changed them anyway.

I put on a new exaust at around 188k. Shift linkage came loose; I fixed that little problem with a wrench and LocTite.

Oil and tranny fluid have been changed - those were neglected on my part.

The engine still runs in new engine specs. Compression is on the low side of normal, but it still runs with the new round body trucks.

I do not know if the CPI has gone out yet; I hope it's been replaced!

I got lucky with this one in that nobody screwed with it too badly, and everything is stock. It only left me stranded once and that was when I lost a starter bolt. Seems the last guy to replace the starter didn't know about lock washers. I got under there, pushed the starter back in place, got it started that way, and ran to Autozone where I put a new bolt on in the parking lot. No biggie.

I don't leak any oil or tranny fluid, but I've noticed a small antifreeze leak that I can't seem to find. I'll need to throw a pressure tester on it. Strange thing is that it only leaks when it cools off - it doesn't leak under pressure. Strange.

I'm back in college at age 29, having previously attended in '00 and '03. I also got my A.S. for auto tech while in high school. From the time I was able to drive I owned a 4x4. The first was an '85 Cherokee with the 83hp 4cyl (went up to 150hp with TBI the next year). I lost that one to a head on crash with a Camaro out on IN 13 on my way to high school. Neither my lil' bro nor I were hurt. I followed that with a '76 CJ5 I turned into a super offroader/hotrod. I kept blowing rear end parts due to extreme driveline angles, and the rearend went twice due to more power than it could handle. I parted with it after I got sick of replacing the rearend. Following that was an '89 S-Blazer 4x4 which lasted a year after being rolled at the intersection of US24 and IN13. It was still running on its side. I turned it off as quickly as I could but the damage was done. But, I still drove it home when I had the wrecker put it on all fours. Point is that, it still worked for a year after it sustained bearing damage, and God knows what else. I then went to the '93 Bravada I told about up above.

I live in an area that usually doesn't close its schools unless there's a blizzard. Usually I use any blizzard time to pull neighbors out of their driveways, and the 4wd (or AWD/tow package now) comes in very useful for that.

I guess in my view it's like a gun: Better to have and not need than need and not have (can ya'll tell I'm rural yet? )

I vote for the Blazer if you can afford the gasoline and maintenance. Sure, the money could be spent partying, but which would you rather do: Party till you puke, or have a vehicle you can drive to class while your friends cry like little babies? Ok... stupid question. But still....

Josh <><

2000 Blazer, loaded, looks showroom new, bought April 4th, 2009
Josh Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:49 AM   #22
hookeartool
AF Newbie

my 87 s10 5speed manual 2.8l has 211k miles on it and still drives like it just rolled off the line, it all depends on how much your willing to work on it. i do all the work on my car myself and make sure its done right and the only time i am ever broke down is for parts that will go out on any car now and then.
hookeartool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #23
baumbr
AF Regular

'91 S-10 Blazer, purchased with 58,000 on it. 4.3 liter engine, 4wd, 5 speed manual transmission, manual transfer case, 250,000 miles, 20 mpg no matter where or how I drive it, except for towing. Small oil puff on morning start up, uses no oil nor water.

Replaced: 2 alternators; water pump; 5 serpentine belts, right upper ball joint, ignition switch, front brake rotors. Several ignition sets (wires, plugs, cap, rotor) over the years, 3 batteries, other general maintenance items as well as several sets of tires, 3 windshields, 1 headlight. (Utah is rock chip heaven. My 4 month old Corolla will need a windshield soon.)

Modfications: Posi-lock 4wd actuator. The stock GM (or is that B.M.?) vacuum controlled 4wd actuator never did work, even when new. If it is too warm, too cold, too steep, too flat, too high in altitude, too low, etc. they don't work.

Needs: Starter, clutch, front seats are worn out, and a new body as it started to rust out this year and I can't seem to keep up with it.
baumbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #24
garydurksen
AF Newbie

My 1990 engine got 240,00 kms,tranny still good, body just rusted away before the engine was shot
Old 09-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #25
jackpot5283
AF Newbie

love the 93 and earlier but the round bodies are too complicated to be reliable i prefer a 4 cyl or 4.3 the 2.8 has plenty of power but ive sent alot of them to scrap only killed one 4.3 the 700r4s tend to die but im assuming previous neglect ive seen em run 200k without a rebuild just not under stress but ive had 30 cars in 6 years and none hold up as long as early 90s bowties in my personal experience
Old 06-08-2008, 01:09 AM   #26
needspaint
AF Newbie

I have a 1991 blazer with a 4.3 engine. The original engine and tranny lasted 409,000 miles. The only things I changed in this time other than normal wear and tear items were a couple of water pumps, fuel pumps, an alternator and power steering pump.

Today it turned 550,000 miles.
needspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #27
VanillaGorilla
AF Newbie

Talking Re: Life of a Blazer Engine

Great thread.. Anyways the only thing replaced in 4yrs (2000B) was the alternator.. Must be lucky..

Had a 4.3L in my old 93 AuroStar that got 368K before the head gasket went.. The same engine thats in my Blazer..
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #28
2001jimmy
AF Newbie

My friend has a 99 jimmy, he has 272,000. He replaced the tranny at 50,000, dealer warranty.
It still runs great.
2001jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info