Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 12:48 PM   #1
csaff55
AF Newbie

90 Prelude motor swap

I have a 90 Prelude SI the motor is shoot, I was waiting but now I'm ready to do a swap... becuase I have to... anyway I was thinking of the b18 but I hear that the h22 will work better of course with more motor mounts. Any info on this swap let me know thanks.

If anyone is in the Tampa Fl area send me an Email, I would like to begin in the next 2 - 3 weeks. Thanks.
csaff55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 09:39 AM   #2
EFStali
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to EFStali Send a message via Yahoo to EFStali
yea putting a b18 into a prelude would need engine mounts from hell, since the h22 is such a huge engine, i know that when a h22 is put into a 4th generation civic, you have to beat the hell out of the engine bay just to get it to fit, so i would say your best bet and cheapest deal would just to go with a h22. but if you feel that you want a b18 and you have the money then go for that.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:49 AM   #3
B16EJ1
AF Fanatic

I suggest getting a new car
B16EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 10:24 AM   #4
csaff55
AF Newbie

Motor Swap 90 Prelude

I like my prelude, I've invested time and money. And if that's your car my prelude looks better than what you have.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:15 AM   #5
EFStali
AF Enthusiast

now now..children settle..but EF style cars taht are in good shape are hard to find..i know that right now im saving up to swap my slushbox out with a 5spd..now i just gotta find one for a decent price
Old 07-16-2003, 11:39 AM   #6
B16EJ1
AF Fanatic

Re: Motor Swap 90 Prelude

Quote:
Originally posted by csaff55
I like my prelude, I've invested time and money. And if that's your car my prelude looks better than what you have.
Okay you damn flamer. I did'nt mean to offen you f*ckin baby. The reason I suggested a new car is that all the money you invested is a waste. The aftermarket for your chassis is rediculously small. I highly doubt there are mounts to swap the engines you're looking at and even if there are you obviously don't have the cash for it cause if you did you would have gotten a newer, better car. The suspensoin on your car sucks. The engine sucks and it's so old it's basically a classic. IMO no 90 Prelude is nicer than a 5th gen civic. Like I said before, get a better car.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:56 AM   #7
EFStali
AF Enthusiast

so are you saying that all 1990 cars are crap? or just the prelude 1990's are crap? Becuase I would beg to differ with you on that.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:36 PM   #8
B16EJ1
AF Fanatic

I meant the 90 Ludes are sh*t boxes that had nothing oustanding or even ok about them. Oh and I don't care on what you beg to differ on.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:46 PM   #9
csaff55
AF Newbie

B16JE1 rage

Look B16 I'm looking for answers on this forum, not the cursing fight. At this point I want to let your comments pass... I've had this car since 94 I bought it while in college. I replaced the brakes, Koni 5 way & neuspeed springs etc. I've also heard someone say that Place Racing does the mounts. I think for around $650.00 or so, anyway since Hondaprelude site is down I was checking here. Anyone with a respectful comment please respond.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:23 PM   #10
B16EJ1
AF Fanatic

It was a suggestion and all that I posted was the truth. This is a forum site and criticism is inevitable. The 90 Lude is, plain and simple, not a commonly used car for autox or the strip for good reason. If you're set on swapping here are somethings to ponder........

1. An H22 swap is good for the strip and not suggested for the autox. The sheer fact of weight distribution eliminates the turning capabilities on a Civic witch has a much superior suspension than your Lude. But it's yours so do as you wish.

2. Any B series would be a great swap but the simple fact that the mounts for the swap cost that much is an indicator how much of a bitch this swap will cause you and if you pay for a shop to do it, imagine their charge. IMHO your car is not worth the headache for either you or some random mechanic. The mounts alone cost 650 so take in to account what your custom axels and all the little crap necessary for a B series swap will run you.

I'm not saying all this just because I drive a Civic and I am biased. I'm saying this because the cost, work, and headeaches versus the power gain, for lack of better words, are just not worth it. Get a new car.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:55 PM   #11
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

B16EJ1 is right, IMO.
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 09:41 PM   #12
EFStali
AF Enthusiast

dude..there are tons of EF Civics that would smoke your ass in a heartbeat, and you can get a prelude to be very light, and very fast..it just depends on how willing you are to put the money into it.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:43 PM   #13
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by EFStali
dude..there are tons of EF Civics that would smoke your ass in a heartbeat, and you can get a prelude to be very light, and very fast..it just depends on how willing you are to put the money into it.
Who are you talking too?
And how do you get a Prelude very light? Stripping the interior? Yeah that makes for a good daily driver right?
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 11:28 PM   #14
B16EJ1
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by EFStali
Dude......WTF is your point? Thers's a whole bunch of EF Civic's that I would smoke. What the hell does that have to do with the topic at hand? You can make a Ford Pinto fast as shit and it's light as hell. Unless you have something to prove that what I've already posted as wrong then what good are you?
Old 07-17-2003, 12:17 AM   #15
diegoaccord
AF Regular

I will say that an EF isnt part of the conversation, where did that come from? Yes PlaceRacing has a kit, but as B16 said, $650 IS just the mounts. No, the BB1 suspension doesnt suck. double wishbones, just like your EJ, and all wheel discs. It recieved rave reviews back in its day.
You could get a EH/DA/, earlyDC/DB for less than your swap. But my opinion is to stick with that shit if thats what you wanna do. An "old school" Honda is a Honda non-the-less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3glude.jpg (31.5 KB, 46 views)

EJ1 Civic Si . Screw Hatchbacks. Coupes just look better. Period...
diegoaccord is offline   Reply With Quote