Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Aerostar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 08:58 PM   #1
karenjim
AF Newbie

Unhappy Help! Brakes don't want to bleed....

I work the Detroit Free Press delivering papers to 250 houses each night. That's 250+ stops every night... I own a 1993 Ford Aerostar (3.0) that I've been experiencing on again - off again braking. Some days the pedal would go to the floor, and other days it was hard. We figured there was air in the lines. Since we replaced the pads 2 weeks ago and they were already going again, we figured we needed to replace the rotors (which showed signs of wear) and the calipers (which showed signs of the boot rotting). The brake pads were chipping away from being overheated. After replacing all of the above brake system parts, we proceeded to try to bleed them.

There was no brake fluid coming into the passenger side a very little coming into the driver's side. This was even after almost 45 minutes of bleeding! I disconnected the brake line from the master cylinder and brake fluid came out verifying that the master cylinder was good. However, when I disconnected the brake line from the "Proportioning Valve" (Brake Distribution Box) ... nothing came out! I was told this was due to this part going out....

I'm not a mechanic though. Or at least... I try not to be. Are there any mechanics out there who can tell me if this sounds correct?

... I called the parts stores and they don't carry it. The dealers can order it but it would cost $180.87 with exchange. I guess I just need to make sure that's the part I need before I go spending that much more money on it! Please reply as soon as possible since if I buy this, I'll have to do it first thing in the morning...

Thanks

Last edited by karenjim; 09-09-2005 at 01:51 PM.
karenjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
Nexus7
AF Newbie

Bench bleed the master

Looks like you disconnected the master at least once. It is best to bench bleed the master if you have any doubts at all. Other that that is does sound like there is some obstruction in the proportioning valve. However, as expensive as it might sound, if you're lost, just take it to the dealer or reputable shop.
Nexus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
karenjim
AF Newbie

Well, we found out the problem.... the master cylinder needed to be bled. Once, we did that, there were no other problems getting the others done. Thanks for your help.
karenjim is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Aerostar