Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Cougar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
ringo7
AF Newbie

Cougar Won't rotate

Brother has a 96 V 8 Cougar that has been Parked for 3 Months;
I was ask to fix it;I ask the last Driver ,any Codes? no: What I was told that car would Operate for awhile then Performance Issues;
I started with Tune up,Spark Plug gaps were about 75,the Plugs were Champion;I replaced with Motorcraft, Sp Gap 55;also all Plugs on left side #s 5-6-7-8 eng oil on top side :these Plugs sit about six inches deep,I will check the Valve cover gaskets when I have it Running;This car has Coil on each side;
Question when ever I checked the Battery Voltage , it read 11.63 volts,I connected Cables,Key to Start' Solanoid" clicking: Starter would not Rotate Eng,I turned on the Headlights, no lights ,I did have a Chime.cleaned the Grounds and Postive cables and One connected to Frame,Same, No Roation of Eng. Any suggestions?

Last edited by ringo7; 06-26-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: I have voltag both wires at Fuel Injectors when Ign is on,Eng not running,is this correct? there is Fuel at Rail on top ofeng
ringo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
ringo7
AF Newbie

Re: Cougar Won't rotate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo7 View Post
Brother has a 96 V 8 Cougar that has been Parked for 3 Months;
I was ask to fix it;I ask the last Driver ,any Codes? no: What I was told that car would Operate for awhile then Performance Issues;
I started with Tune up,Spark Plug gaps were about 75,the Plugs were Champion;I replaced with Motorcraft, Sp Gap 55;also all Plugs on left side #s 5-6-7-8 eng oil on top side :these Plugs sit about six inches deep,I will check the Valve cover gaskets when I have it Running;This car has Coil on each side;
Question when ever I checked the Battery Voltage , it read 11.63 volts,I connected Cables,Key to Start' Solanoid" clicking: Starter would not Rotate Eng,I turned on the Headlights, no lights ,I did have a Chime.cleaned the Grounds and Postive cables and One connected to Frame,Same, No Roation of Eng. Any suggestions?
next day Batery charged up and Starter working fine;Eng will not start,There is Fuel at the Fuel Rail on top of Eng,I did not hear fuel pump run when I turned Key on,also question there is elec power at both wires at the Injecters?Is this Right
Old 06-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
ringo7
AF Newbie

Re: Cougar Won't rotate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo7 View Post
next day Batery charged up and Starter working fine;Eng will not start,There is Fuel at the Fuel Rail on top of Eng,I did not hear fuel pump run when I turned Key on,also question there is elec power at both wires at the Injecters?Is this Right
Update,Friday June 26 a.m. 96 Cougar 4.6 V 8
Battery Good-Starter good,Starter Rotates Eng,will not Run, I have Voltage out of Coil to Spark Plugs--I have Fuel
on top of Eng. at the Scharder Valve;I have Voltage to both wires at Fuel Injecters;

I ask the Driver .did Car have any Performance Issues? He said that while driving in Ok.city the Car just died,He called for truck to bring Car to his home,
What would be the next step?

I changed out a bad Elec Fuel Pump that was the Problem, causing no Fuel at Rail;Car Runs but Rough:
Update I do not know the Numbering System of L.H.and R.H Coil packs;Which Sp. Wire goes where; There is an Elec Plug in infront of Coil Starting at Right side of Pack and Moving to left;I Have #1 #6 # 3 #5 This is R.H. coil: Any Mechanic on line

Left Side Coil(Driver's side ) # 2 at R.h, Side of Plug #2 #8 #4 #7

Last edited by ringo7; 07-01-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: more info;

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Cougar