Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 09:52 AM   #1
todds96
AF Newbie

Edge Chip Problems on Diesel Engine

I have a 2001 2500 4x4 with the cummins engine, currently has 98K miles and have already gone through 2 lift pumps and one injector pump while using the edge performance chip. It is the small one 65HP, but upon my last visit to the dealership, I finally got a straight answer from a mechanic on the use of these chips. (Although it might be slanted due to his affiliation with Dodge)
Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems like this while using the performance boosting chip.
Evidentally there is too much pull on the pump and it burns them out.
Would appreciate any comments.
todds96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 06:57 PM   #2
pind
AF Regular

Re: Edge Chip Problems on Diesel Engine

I have not seen problems with Edge chips, however, I have heard of many, most concerning overdriving the pump electronics to the point of heating them up and burning them out. Not necessarily a mechanical problem, more an electronic one. Remember, the VP44 is an inherently weak pump. There are those owners out there who don't want to hear that, but thats how it is. I own an 01, with the 245hp cummins, and have had no problems thus far, other than the lift pump going out at 80,000 km. Although, I have seen situations where the lift pump cacked out, and the injector pump followed suit within 10 to 15 minutes of running time.

One thing to remember is diesel injection pumps use the fuel for cooling and lube, so the best thing you can do, if you just have that itching, burning.... wait, thats something else.

If you have the need for more power, boost, grunt, etc., try upsizing the banjo fittings and fuel lines to the pump, along with your power chip. The extra fuel supplied will lower pump temps, and make it a happier operating environment. Also, make sure your lift pump is up to the task at hand.

Good Luck
pind is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10