Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mystique
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
AngelClawz
AF Newbie

Car is Possessed

I just bought tha 99 Mercury Mystique 2 weeks ago. Used car. So far.. engine light came on. Had diagnostic ran. Replaced spark plugs for cylinders, replaced ignition wires, replaced MAF. Today the car battery died. No lights were left on, the battery is only 6 months old. No signs that it was going to give out. Finally got it jumped started and it was doing 30mph 3k rpms on idle..nobody in the car..gas not being pushed. It has dont this before, but not since the MAF so I assumed the "wanting to take off" was part of the MAF. Any suggestions? Whats wrong with this car??
AngelClawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
AngelClawz
AF Newbie

Re: Car is Possessed

I jumped it again today. Started to drive it to Autozone for a battery, the engine light came on. Had battery tested, battery was bad. Diagnostic came up with mis-fires. So I assume coils because the plugs and wires were just changed. When I restarted my car engine light didn't come on? Any ideas?
Old 12-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelClawz
When I restarted my car engine light didn't come on? Any ideas?
Generally that means everything is fine or they cleared your codes.

As for the throttle hang. Thats discussed on the contour forums in the Frequently Asked Questions.

http://contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=7

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
1996 Ford Contour SE - Sold
3.0L V6 and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit
364 whp, 410 wtq @ 16 psi and only 4,700 rpms.
1999 Tropic Green SVT Contour - Bone stock and MINT
beyondloadedSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:15 AM   #4
AngelClawz
AF Newbie

The engine light came back on again yesterday on my way back to work. I'm sure its the cylinders misfiring and I was assured I could drive it without anything bad happening. So crossing my fingers on that one! It is now reving from 1k rpms to 2k rpms when I am stopped or idleing , it shakes and rocks back and forth when it does this. No clue..maybe the car is just upsets and is trying to comfort it's self!
Old 12-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelClawz
The engine light came back on again yesterday on my way back to work. I'm sure its the cylinders misfiring and I was assured I could drive it without anything bad happening. So crossing my fingers on that one! It is now reving from 1k rpms to 2k rpms when I am stopped or idleing , it shakes and rocks back and forth when it does this. No clue..maybe the car is just upsets and is trying to comfort it's self!
Is the CEL flashing? That indicates a misfire.

I would get the code(s) pulled and see exactly whats up.

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
1996 Ford Contour SE - Sold
3.0L V6 and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit
364 whp, 410 wtq @ 16 psi and only 4,700 rpms.
1999 Tropic Green SVT Contour - Bone stock and MINT
beyondloadedSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
AngelClawz
AF Newbie

I took the car in to the mechanics a almost 2 weeks ago. They found the rear O2 sensor was hanging off of the car and dragging on the concrete. They replaced it, and all was fine and smooth and normal.

For 2 days!

Then it started to stall when in idle, which I just dealt with, and defrosted the car by giving it gas. It would not stall after it was driven. The shaking and rocking started back up again, but only when stopped at a light. I drove it to work one day. When I left work the breaks decided not to work. Scary!! I was able to get the car home by slipping into nuetral at red lights.

I took it back to the mechanics, by the time I got there the engine was smoking. They pulled up tons and tons of codes. The mass air flow, which I already replaced, mis-fires in the cylinders, and fuel running lean.

They replaced the idle air flow sensor. They credited the breaks to the idle air flow sensor which was making the engine shut down, making the vac not have enough to come to a complete stop. They checked the fuel injectors and so forth, all was good and clean. The temp guage never read hot, but they looked at it and it was running hot, but the water wasn't? They said I needed to replace the main computer?

Engine light came off, the car drove normal for a day, light came back on, now its back to stalling in idle, and shaking. My question is..does anyone know if all these issues can be attributed to the main computer?
Old 01-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
AngelClawz
AF Newbie

Car started rocking, vibrating, stalling, smoking. Fixed the car!!! All it needed was to be traded in for a new car!! Go figure!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mystique