Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 05:25 PM   #1
SPAWN125
AF Newbie

Angry 1989 Firebird Not Starting

I have a 1989 firebird formula that will not start at all. The starter works but when I turn the key there is absolutley nothing. I have tried to make sense out of the wiring diagrams in my haynes manual, but that's not helping. I think it has to do with my anti theft system, but I don't know which wires to test to see if i'm getting the resistance I need across the key to start the car.
SPAWN125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 01:14 PM   #2
86TATpi
AF Enthusiast

How do you know the starter works? There may be a bad connection or no connection at the ignition switch for the PASS key. Or loose wires at the starter. I'll try to look up what wires go to the security system.
86TATpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:03 PM   #3
Technical_Automan
Banned

I have an 88 Formula 350 and had the same problem. Here's a list of parts that I went through to FINALLY correct the situation: Battery, Battery Cables, Starter, Ignition Switch, and the part on the steering column under the dash that the ignition switch connects to (I think this piece is most likely your problem, cheap and easy to replace or bypass). I also had to replace the Alternator, Drive belt, and soon to be Timing chain and Head gasket. Also I bypassed the Ignition switch and installed a push button starter switch in my center console (everyone thinks it's SO cool, easy to do as well). But i'd check for continuity on that piece under the dash...I believe its the yellow wire that should have power at all times...possibly red.
Technical_Automan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 07:56 AM   #4
savagewolf
AF Regular

Re: 1989 Firebird Not Starting

its not your VATS (security) system because if it is triggered, the engine wont even turn over for another 5 mins untill the correct key is inserted. i have had this problem on alot of cars and it always seems to be 1 of a few things: assuming the starter turns over, it sounds like an ignition system problem. if it was misfiring before this happend, then the ignition system may be your problem. try checking the spark plugs, cables, distributor cap, rotor (look for the teeth on the rotor and see if they r stripped and if they are meeting with the cam.) check the cam. if the car has a carb or TBI and it sneezes when the car turns over, this is prob because the timing is off. check to make sure the firing order is correct (sometimes ppl change the spark wires and dont put the new ones on in the right order.)
savagewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:05 AM   #5
savagewolf
AF Regular

if it doesnt turn over then there is no way to know its not the starter. when they die, there is no warning.u might start up to go to the store and when u come back it just simply doesnt turn at all. when u put the key in (dont turn it, just stick it in and flip it to where your warning lights come on) and look for your security light. i think its a yellow or oarnge light and it should flash something like 8 times. if it stays on or keeps flashing then its your VATS system. this is caused by 1 of 2 things. either your VATS system is dead or the ignition switch isnt giving it power. or u need a new key. 3rd gen firebirds are notorious for the ignition switch going bad. they are cheap and easy to install. the key has a little chip in it. its the little silver metal piece in the middle of they key and has a black rubber or plastic grommet around it. take it to the dealer and tell them its triggering the VATS system and you need a new key with a new chip in it. another long shot may simply be a dead battery (obviously there would be no warning lights if it was dead.) or a bad ignition switch, or bad wires.
savagewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 12:40 PM   #6
alb89
AF Newbie

same thing happened to me. it was intermittent for a while, then finally it didn't work at all. The dealer has a box they can bring to your car to bypass the ingition, to get it started, and taken in. My inginition got replaced and it was good to go. Try replacing the ingition if you don't want to take it in, I am pretty sure you'll need a new key as well. May come with it.
alb89 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions