Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > FAQ
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
FAQ Frequently asked questions about Infiniti G20 and G20.net.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 10:22 PM   #1
AznVirus
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AznVirus
SR20DET Swap Questions

these are just questions related to the DET swap, im posting it so other people on this forum dont have to ask again. everyone add some questions to it if you have any.

1. do you have to use the 91-93 harness? will other harnesses work?
2. can you use the P10/P11 manual tranny?
3. can stock sr20de motor mounts be used?
4. what is needed/recommended to be replaced when you get the engine?
5. what about my intercooler choices?
6. what kind of ECU is compatible with the DET?
7. do i need to fabricate any piping?
8. where can i find gaskets for the DET parts?
9. how much hp and torque does the DET have?
10. any other things i should pay attention to?

ok this is all i can think of for now, ill answer the ones that i know, the rest are up to you guys to answer it.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:55 PM   #2
P11GT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to P11GT Send a message via Yahoo to P11GT
this is what i know on the subject, as it was one option i was gonna go for, others may know better. these answers are refering to a SR20DET swap from a Sunny/Pulsar GTiR engine.

1. Use the DET ECU and harness, just swap, plug and play.
2. As far as i know, our stock tranny should bolt more or less straight on.
3. Best use the DET ones but ours should be the same and in the same location.
4. Just give it a good service, oil, filters, plugs, but you should always check the engine is in good condition before purchase.
5. If you dont wanna cut your hood, then go for a front mounted intercooler.
6. As above, use the DET ECU, but im sure other manufacturers do uprated ECU, but this is not necessary.
7. Use the stock DET piping, but if you use a front mounted intercooler, you'll need to fabricate pipes, as the location is gonna be different than anything else on the market.
8. From anyone who tunes DET's like www.dpmotorsport.com or www.hiteq.co.uk
9. A stock GTiR has around 227BHP
10. Well, my advice is to do what i was gonna do and buy a crash damaged GTiR or a second hand one then transplant everything over, this means that you'll have most all of the parts you need and more.
Vote for my car at www.ridejudge.com user name P11GT

VRRRROOOOOOMMM TIIISSSSSSHHHTT!!!
P11GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 09:53 PM   #3
g20_driver1
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to g20_driver1
Question Engine swap in 1991 G20

I bought my '91 G20 used and I am very pleased with it. However, it leaves much to be sought after. Also it now has 110,000 miles on it which makes me lean towards not puting anything on it. What I'd like to know is if I'd be able to drop a newer version G20 engine (or the DET) into my present bay OR if it's possible to drop a different engine in the bay. And lastly, the general availability of any of these options. Any help with this would be greatly apprieciated. Thank You.
g20_driver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 07:48 PM   #4
AznVirus
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AznVirus
Re: Engine swap in 1991 G20

Quote:
Originally posted by g20_driver1
I bought my '91 G20 used and I am very pleased with it. However, it leaves much to be sought after. Also it now has 110,000 miles on it which makes me lean towards not puting anything on it. What I'd like to know is if I'd be able to drop a newer version G20 engine (or the DET) into my present bay OR if it's possible to drop a different engine in the bay. And lastly, the general availability of any of these options. Any help with this would be greatly apprieciated. Thank You.
you can drop in a new G20 engine, but its going to cost quite a lot, might as well get a SR20DET. or you can get a SR20VE, they are becoming more common swaps now, but it will cost more than the DET. the most engines you would find would be the DET, next the DE, and then the VE.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:49 AM   #5
slammednismo17
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to slammednismo17
Angry sr20det engine swap into a 95 nissan hardbody

I would like to perform a engine sawp <sr20det> in to my 95 nissan hardbody, and i dont really know much about this whole process and ne info would be very helpfull. need to know nething like what i need to replace then mounts and wiring harnesses and so fourth. thanx a lot.

AIM: shortyzsktr17
EMAIL: lakaisktr17@yahoo.com
slammednismo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 12:18 AM   #6
SE-R T
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SE-R T
you can use use stock motor mounts if in good condition,but thro on some energy suspension motor mount stabalizers. it 'll only cost about 50 bucks for all 4 of them. they make a huge difference. dont be cheap
SE-R T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 12:47 AM   #7
SE-R T
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SE-R T
91- onG20, 91-94 SE-R swap

this should answer alot of questions

the 91 G20 already has a great engine. if any swap is to be done,stay with an sr20de(t), which ever suits your budget. both are straight forward swaps,for the sr20det swap a JWT ecu mod is the best way to go. beef up the motor mounts with energy suspension motor mount inserts. buy a newshift linkage-mount for the rear of the likage from the factory. also energy suspension makes front linkage mount inserts. if still wanting street performance out of the clutch replace it with any sprung hub clutch,with at least 30% more clamping force,also the flywheel has to be resurfaced. with the det motor the stock exhaust wont do. due to lack of aftermarket parts avail,its best to have a 3in mandrel bent system fabricated @ a local muffler shop with mandrel bending machines. then send it to get ceramic coated. be sure to start off with a quality stainless tube exhaust if money permits it, like t-304 stainless. put on a greddy profec-b or any other boost controller and a VPC( i believe GReddy or HKS makes the VPC,it eliminates the need for a MAFS). if you dont want to do the VPC use a Ford COBRA MAFS from JWT technologies with the wiring adapter. if al this is done with a good base motor and th VPC ,PRofec-B, SS exhaust, JWT ECU mod, could push about 14-18 PSI safely for a DAILY DRIVER with about 270 bhp, thats wheel HP"S. you can push more or less dependent upon boost and fuel injector size and witch model of sr20det you happened to aquire, there are a few different models, TRY TO GET THE ENGINE CODE 54C, RTHE THAN 53J. 54C IS A STONDER ENGINE BLOCK WITH DIFFERENT CAM GRINDS,SODIUM FILLED VALVES AND PISTON OIL SQUIRTERS= MORE HP ON STOCK INTERNALS:alien: [size=1][size=3][size=4][font=arial][i][font=arial][size=3][color=firebrick][size=3][font=arial][color=firebrick]
SE-R T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 05:41 PM   #8
DEFnub
AF Newbie

ga16de

i have a 200sx with a ga16de motor and i am going to buy a bluebird (sr20det) front clip is this swap posible.
DEFnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:00 PM   #9
nismo_240sx
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to nismo_240sx Send a message via Yahoo to nismo_240sx
Re: SR20DET Swap Questions

i have a 1990 240sx and i am going to buy a s14 sr20det. i was just wondering if i would have to do any mods or will it just bolt on. (are the engine mounts the same?)
nismo_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > FAQ