Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > GTI
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
Reedy
AF Newbie

Question 97 GTI Golf Cuts out and then starts. HELP!

Hi folks. I have had this problem for approx 9 months. When driving, at any time the car cuts out when it wants, as though the ignition has been turned off. If i am moving the car sometimes restarts itself. If i come to a stand still i have to start the car my self after a few minutes of trying. Sometimes if i have been in the car, parked up and come back to it, it won't start the first time, but after leaving it for a few minutes/seconds it starts. The only time it wouldn't start again is when i needed to replace the coil. Please can somebody Help. The car is a 97 'P' Golf 2.0 GTI 8v Manual. Thankyou.
Reedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:05 PM   #2
boschmann
AF Fanatic

Re: 97 GTI Golf Cuts out and then starts. HELP!

You need to hop out the next time it won't start & pull the coil wire, set it near a ground & crank the engine to see if you hav spark or not.
boschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 04:10 PM   #3
Reedy
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 97 GTI Golf Cuts out and then starts. HELP!

Thanks mate i will try that. Will be in touch. I will also try replacing the Digifant relay for the digifant control unit.
Reedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:38 PM   #4
boschmann
AF Fanatic

It's a possibility, & inexpensive. You might also want to clean the distributor wiring harness connector pins.
boschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:17 AM   #5
golfgtiiii
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 97 GTI Golf Cuts out and then starts. HELP!

theres a blk box under the steering wheel column. sorry not sure wot its called my mechanic was not very forthcoming bout wot he did.

it looks like the module, i've been told it could be the brain. it needs testin/resetting/ replacin.

my car did exactly the same 4 18 months changed loads of unnecessary bits, that blk box did the trick, its not done it since.
golfgtiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
mck684
AF Newbie

hi, i had the same prob for 3 months tried everything and wasted loads of money, finally saw the light and to it to an auto electrician (not mechanic) and he sent off the ecu for testing, came back fine though. after much looking a faulty crankshaft impulse sensor was at fault, although an earth wire on the immobilzer was loose too. Cars fine now.
mck684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:52 PM   #7
kutza
AF Newbie

black box under the steering? It may be the imobilizer for the factory alarm. they are know to go bad, need to replace, or bypass.
I have had issues with ignition switches, and it is the first thing i chk.
kutza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:50 AM   #8
ryan_kosiba
AF Newbie

I'm a little late to help you but this may help anyone else who stumble across this thread. I had this exact problem with a 98 gti vr6. Long story short.....it ended up being the crank sensor.
ryan_kosiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:24 PM   #9
vwfox407
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedy
Hi folks. I have had this problem for approx 9 months. When driving, at any time the car cuts out when it wants, as though the ignition has been turned off. If i am moving the car sometimes restarts itself. If i come to a stand still i have to start the car my self after a few minutes of trying. Sometimes if i have been in the car, parked up and come back to it, it won't start the first time, but after leaving it for a few minutes/seconds it starts. The only time it wouldn't start again is when i needed to replace the coil. Please can somebody Help. The car is a 97 'P' Golf 2.0 GTI 8v Manual. Thankyou.
same problem here...
I spent $63.00 already on a used working fuel assembly pump and fuel relay...still having issues...How do I test the ignition switch? immobilizer?
crank sensor? please help! gotta get my car running, its my daily driven..
vwfox407 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > GTI