Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #16
mkvapil
AF Regular

Re: Heated Oxygen Sensor

I just put in a new Denso oxygen sensor and disconnected the battery...P0031 came back again. What else can be wrong with it? I had already replaced the Idle Air Control and Throttle Position Sensor....

what about oxygen senor relay?
mkvapil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #17
mkvapil
AF Regular

This has got to be kidding me! A new error code. P0505. IAC. I just replaced it last month because of the same code(P0505). I am guessing there is a short in the wires somewhere.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #18
reekor
AF Enthusiast

Both of your codes point to a short in the wires somewhere........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkvapil View Post
This has got to be kidding me! A new error code. P0505. IAC. I just replaced it last month because of the same code(P0505). I am guessing there is a short in the wires somewhere.

His, 96 Limited, 5.2 Magnum, Magnaflow CatBack System, HID Head & Fog Lamps, 242 T-case swapped , Rear Trac-Loc. Chrome grill added to match the wheels.

Hers, 96 Limited I6, 242 T-case, HID Head & Fog Lamps.
reekor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #19
mkvapil
AF Regular

There is defintely a short.....I was walking to the Jeep after grocery shopping and I saw that the brake lights were still on.

I don't even know where to start looking for a short.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #20
drgonzo92
AF Newbie

I feel you pain on this one. I am going through the same thing with my wifes GC. To start, I had P031, P051, and P0136. Ours is a Cali Spec so it has 4 sensors. I replaced all 4 with Bosch. Still had the same codes. Ran out of time to diagnose so brought it to a trusted mechanic. He found out that there was a short. If you follow the fuel rail thats to the right of the valve cover all the way towards the back near the firewall, there is a stud that sticks up out of the motor. The wiring harness runs right along that, and our wiring harness had been rubbing for years on that bolt until finally there were 3 wires that chaffed through and were shorting out. So he fixed them, and good to go......................................

until the day after. The light came on again. P0135. So I replaced the upstream sensor with Bosch again. Problem went away for a day and a half. Cut to this past Monday, and the light came on with this code again. I had the light reset and it came back. And the other day my wife said the guages were acting all weird and the car acted funny. It only did this once.

Basically right now, the light and code P0135 is still there. At this point I don't know. I am thining now about replacing the sensor with OEM. However, the guage thing makes me wonder if the PCM is messed up. My mechanic said that when the wired shorted it could have messed up the PCM. I will have to take it back to have him check that. So far, all the other Bosch sensors have been fine.

Anyway, check your wiring harness towards the back of the motor at the firewall and you may find your shorted wires.
drgonzo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #21
reekor
AF Enthusiast

Chryslers dont like Bosch plugs and O2 sensors. Replace the Bosch sensors with Denso or NTK/NGK. Your other problem might be a bad crankshaft position sensor making the guages do weird things.

His, 96 Limited, 5.2 Magnum, Magnaflow CatBack System, HID Head & Fog Lamps, 242 T-case swapped , Rear Trac-Loc. Chrome grill added to match the wheels.

Hers, 96 Limited I6, 242 T-case, HID Head & Fog Lamps.
reekor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #22
mkvapil
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo92 View Post
I feel you pain on this one. I am going through the same thing with my wifes GC. To start, I had P031, P051, and P0136. Ours is a Cali Spec so it has 4 sensors. I replaced all 4 with Bosch. Still had the same codes. Ran out of time to diagnose so brought it to a trusted mechanic. He found out that there was a short. If you follow the fuel rail thats to the right of the valve cover all the way towards the back near the firewall, there is a stud that sticks up out of the motor. The wiring harness runs right along that, and our wiring harness had been rubbing for years on that bolt until finally there were 3 wires that chaffed through and were shorting out. So he fixed them, and good to go......................................

until the day after. The light came on again. P0135. So I replaced the upstream sensor with Bosch again. Problem went away for a day and a half. Cut to this past Monday, and the light came on with this code again. I had the light reset and it came back. And the other day my wife said the guages were acting all weird and the car acted funny. It only did this once.

Basically right now, the light and code P0135 is still there. At this point I don't know. I am thining now about replacing the sensor with OEM. However, the guage thing makes me wonder if the PCM is messed up. My mechanic said that when the wired shorted it could have messed up the PCM. I will have to take it back to have him check that. So far, all the other Bosch sensors have been fine.

Anyway, check your wiring harness towards the back of the motor at the firewall and you may find your shorted wires.
thanks for the info about the shorting. i will look into it this weekend.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #23
hulkmn069
AF Regular

bosch is crap i'd stick with oe or use the ngk branded ntk o2's you can get them at www.ngk.com as well as ngk plugs which are about the best copper plugs you can get your hands on. Also i don't know about the post any of the newer models with the 2 upstream sensors like my 04 but i had ntk sensors on my 99 and they worked great. it ran smoother and never had a problem with it until someone wrecked me. hope this helps for further issues.
hulkmn069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #24
stagwerk
AF Newbie

Angry Re: Heated Oxygen Sensor

Had the same problem on my '04 GC. Started with a P0031, replaced the O2 sensor with one of the Universal Bosch sensors where you have to wire the adapter. Didn't get rid of the P0031 and a P0135 appeared. Tried a bosch sensor with the correct adapter. Before installing the new one I checked the voltage readings on the engine sidde wiring. The Bank 1 Sensor 1 wiring read the same as the other O2 sensors. Once installed, P0135 cleared but P0031 came back the first time I started it up after clearing the codes.

I'll try an OEM sensor from the dealer. If that doesn't work probably have my mechanic look for a short. Of course this is all happening when I have to get it smogged for this year's registration.

Thanks to all who posted possible solutions.
stagwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #25
edd821
AF Newbie

Followed this thread, hope some of you are still around. I havbe a 2004 JGC 4.0 liter. Failed emission test indicating O2 sensor problem. Replaced all 4 sensors but drawing codes PO31 and PO51. I used Bosch sensors which I hear Jeep has a problem with. BUT, why am I only getting codes for the two upstream sensors and not the two downstream sensors? so I noticed the #16 fuse was blown - I replaced it and started the motor. it promptly blew again. I then disconnected both upstream sensors at the connectors and started the motor. The fuse did not blow. Repeated this several times and the fuse did not blow. I then connected only the front upstream sensor and started the motor, the fuse did not blow. Then disconnected the front upstream sensor and connected the rear upstream sensor. this time the fuse blew when i started the motor. So, only the rear upstream sensor caused the fuse to blow. Really confused, does the fact that the fuse doesn't blow with both upstream sensors disconnected mean something? Why am I getting a code on the front upstream sensor if it's not blowing the fuse? I really hope someone can help - facing a deadline with emissions in 10 days.
edd821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #26
Bob D.
AF Enthusiast

The description for codes P0051 and P0031 are the same:

Shorted condition detected in the oxygen sensor heater element control feedback sense circuit.

So it's likely a shorted wire.
Quote:
Why am I getting a code on the front upstream sensor if it's not blowing the fuse?
If you ran it with the upstream sensor disconnected it will trigger a code.
It doesn't have to blow the fuse to trigger a fault code, if the voltage is wrong it shows a code.
I would check the continuity of the wiring harness to all the O2 sensors for any shorted or open wires. It's possible a short in one sensor is causing the other to trigger a code. Once the problem is corrected with one sensor bank it may clear the error code in the second sensor bank. It takes a preset number of successful run cycles to clear, but I don't remember the how many. Some codes can be manually cleared with an OBD II tool.
If the wiring is fixed or shows ok and still triggers codes, it's possible you have a defective or non compatible O2 sensor(s).
Good luck.
Bob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #27
edd821
AF Newbie

Bob, thanks for the reply. I purchased new o2 sensors - NTK brand. and will replace first to see if that works. if not, i guess i have a shorted wire. hope that's not it. thanks for your reply.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:36 AM   #28
Bob D.
AF Enthusiast

You're welcome. Let us know how it goes.
Bob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #29
edd821
AF Newbie

Well, that didn't do it. Replaced the rear upstream sensor with a NTK brand but it's still blowing the fuse and giving me a PO 31 & 51 codes. Taking it to a mechanic to check the wiring at the connector. So we'll see.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #30
mikeeboy
AF Newbie

Hi,I have also had this fault code come up today. But as luck would have it,mine is sorted,so I shall commence it what I found to be the problem. Just recently got myself a grand Cherokee 4.0l mk2 2000 model. The heat resistor was faulty resulting in no heat or fan working. I removed the resistor to find the plug slightly melted,hence bad connection. Well I like most tried the cheapest option. wiggle the wire and tie strap it where contact is made,hence heaters now work. Well so I thought. Last night I took my boy to his Xmas assembly,cold night,and heaters packed up!. Me being clever,or shall I say NOT! got out the car to the passenger side moved the cable on the resistor,heaters now working. But car running a little rough,, Yikes!.. Checked with diagnostic machine,up comes the error code,P0135.. O2 heater sensor,well my idea is O2 heater sensor,hence heater,would perhaps mean heater resistor. Well next day I decided to disconnect the earth terminal on battery for 15mins to reset the ecu,reconnect,to find heaters or fan not working,but the Jeep is running sweet again.. So think I better bite the bullet and buy a new heater resistor as the fault in the connector was causing the code,and the car to run rough,so guys as this is a common fault with heat resistors,perhaps check for short in the wiring here.. Simple fix,hope it works for some of you,I hope to hear it does,Good luck..
mikeeboy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8