Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:46 PM   #61
jlc55
AF Newbie

Re: stalling/idling problems

i have a 1995 jeep cherokee and stalls while driving normal speed. sometimes will start rught back up but other times it will take some big time cranking..already replaced the coil and fuel filter but no luck. anyone with same problem plz give advice it will be greatly appreciated..thx
jlc55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #62
bmwgolfguy
AF Regular

Hey Honkeyman

I can almost guarantee you it is the crank position sensor. I had similar symptoms on my 01 Cherokee Sport with 77k on it. It was dying on me at stop signs and coasting and even as I was driving the damn thing. The engine would just up and quit on me. I went to Jeepforum.com described my problem and every one who answered said the same thing - CPS. My mechanic ran it thru his computer sure enough, a hard code showed I had a bad CPS. After it was replaced, no more dying or stalling.

Good Luck!
bmwgolfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:28 PM   #63
jlc55
AF Newbie

hey bmwgolfguy..you think if i clean the crank position sensor on my 1995 jeep cherokee will it work for a while or do those things just dont work correctly after they start malfunctionin?? thx.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:12 PM   #64
JeepForever
AF Regular

The CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) is about $60. I recommend just getting a new sensor. Otherwise if the troubles continue you won't be certain whether the cleaning job didn't work, or if something else is broken. If your '95 JGC is anything like the '94 (where I replaced the CPS), I can give you guidance on how to replace it (it might also be listed somewhere else in this thread).
JeepForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:29 PM   #65
bmwgolfguy
AF Regular

Thumbs up Re: stalling/idling problems

JLC and Jeepforever:

First off, I am no mechanic, so I would follow the advice of other people on this thread. Having said that, I had some guys suggest cleaning it first and seeing if that works. I agree with JF, I would simply have it replaced and if that eliminates the problem, you are good to go. If it doesn't, you are only out 60 bucks and some elbow grease.

Let me just say however, I was told by a lot of folks that the CPS was the problem and once the sensor was replaced, I haven't had any issues since.

Finally, based on the many threads and posts I have read, this appears to be a fairly common problem with hopefully an easy fix.

Good Luck!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #66
jlc55
AF Newbie

hey you all just replaced the crank sensor on my jeep and it helped with the stalling problem...hopefully it wont come back..did it myself and it was pretty easy and quick..thx to everyone for advice..cheers yall
Old 08-03-2007, 08:37 PM   #67
brochu
AF Newbie

I have a 86 honda accord lx it stalls when driving it. I pull over and restart it. I have change the start plugs, distributor . Could you please tell me what it could be?
brochu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:45 PM   #68
bmwgolfguy
AF Regular

You should link to the Honda forum for an answer. My fix was only for a Jeep.

Good Luck!
Old 01-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #69
y8tiger
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to y8tiger Send a message via AIM to y8tiger Send a message via MSN to y8tiger Send a message via Yahoo to y8tiger
Thumbs up Re: stalling/idling problems

Upon returning to the States last year, I took the JGC in to the local Dealership. I gave them three chances, but stalling/idling problems persistently returned.

So I found the ultimate solution, I offloaded that POS.

I traded it in on a 2005 Saab 9-7X!

Been loving life ever since! The Saab is so much better than the Jeep ever was.
y8tiger is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8