Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 04:07 PM   #46
ramairgto72

Re: cold transmission problems

The T case has 2 big plugs in it, do you have a skid plate?
If you get under the jeep the plugs will be faceing the rear on the drivers side.

One plug will be on the top and one of the bottom, the top is for filling and the bottom is for draining. to just check to see if it's full, unscrew the top plug (after it's cooled down) and put your finger in it, if you cant feel any fluid, then you need some, however this is one of those times you should be doing a drain and refill.

If you can get your finger in it look at the fluid, is it black with a hint or red? If it is, it's well over dew for a change, it's ATF trans fluid, it should be red and see threw.

I know you have the I6, but the other guy didnt say what he had in his 99, but I will bet his 99 has a full time option on his T case, if it dose you have clutchs that loose bits off of it naturaly, and or anybody with a V8 ZJ has the 249 with the failing VC clutch, but for anybody the stuff to use is B&M Synth ATF.

I put this stuff in my 5.9 ZJ and I noticed more power and allmost a full pont in my MPG on the PCM display, no kidding this stuff works.

On the subject you can do the same drain plug trick to your front and rear diffs without paying $100's for new covers with drain plugs, and most don't have them, just a fill hole, and I don't know why they do that, you have the factory fill on the diff or case and so they add another fill on aftermarkets?!?!

But you should still change your fluids on your diffs, you can also pick up a "pump" to suck out your power steering fluid so that you can replace it, Jeep power steerings on the WJ class SUCK they are like Fords they start to wine after 45,000 you have to change this fluid, people with coolers on the power steering have to also, but not as often.

here is the link I forgot in the last post.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/
Old 03-13-2006, 10:38 AM   #47
wpatters1229
AF Regular

Re: cold transmission problems

I want to claify something. If you remove the hose coming from the radiator that goes BACK to the trans. Would that not be better since you are then also flushing out the radiator section? You could then just have a section of hose clamped onto the fitting of the radiator and into a collection container. Also what about the hose that was pulled off the radiator fitting, should that be plugged so you are not sucking in air to the transmission?
wpatters1229 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8