Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 03:48 PM   #1
dagdaenigma
AF Newbie

Update on my 2003 dying Malibu

I just got off the phone with the Chevy dealership service department and they are in the process of manufacturing the cars computer. Apparently they have to create a brand new computer for the car. You would think that they would have that part for every car that they produce but no, they have to build a brand new one. Also, I guess that there is no ball park time frame for this job. I guess I will continue to drive my loaner until they complete the new computer and install it. For those of you who do not know the story, my 2003 Malibu died twice in as many weeks without a hint of a problem. GM Tech and the service department thought that it would be a show of good faith if they replaced the computer and took out at least one of the suspects. Nice people. I am a real patient guy but if this happens again I am not going to settle for another loaner only a new vehicle.

Patrick McLaughlin
Old 08-25-2003, 03:56 PM   #2
Shortbus
Blah blah blah

Send a message via AIM to Shortbus
Re: Update on my 2003 dying Malibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagdaenigma
I just got off the phone with the Chevy dealership service department and they are in the process of manufacturing the cars computer. Apparently they have to create a brand new computer for the car. You would think that they would have that part for every car that they produce but no, they have to build a brand new one. Also, I guess that there is no ball park time frame for this job. I guess I will continue to drive my loaner until they complete the new computer and install it. For those of you who do not know the story, my 2003 Malibu died twice in as many weeks without a hint of a problem. GM Tech and the service department thought that it would be a show of good faith if they replaced the computer and took out at least one of the suspects. Nice people. I am a real patient guy but if this happens again I am not going to settle for another loaner only a new vehicle.

Patrick McLaughlin
Its not the dealers fault the Powertrain control Module is on national backorder from GM. And yes there is no scheduled date for anyone to recieve any. This happens when either GM has a conflict with the manufacturer making the PCM's or there is a critical component needed to finish building the PCM's that is not available from the supplier (not the manufacturer). It happens all the time. These instances are unforseen by GM and they cannot control suppliers to ensure parts will always be available. Be patient with the dealer, they will do the best they can for you.
Shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 04:01 PM   #3
Shortbus
Blah blah blah

Send a message via AIM to Shortbus
One last note on this, ask your dealer if they have a SPAC case open on the PCM. This will force GM to buy one from any dealer in the US that has it in stock and the Sprinting dealer will Overnight it to your dealer.

Good luck
Shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 12:29 AM   #4
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Next time you talk to the dealer, ask if they have started a TAC case on your vehicle. This will enter your vehicle and its repairs into a data base to help find the cause of your problem and if there are other vehicles that have had the same problem, what was done to repair them...might help in getting your car fixed and back to you quicker.

Unfortunatly, GM suffers from problems with suppliers at times which causes a delay in getting parts(doesnt happen too often, but when it does its very frustrating)

Even though the dealer is going to replace the PCM, have they been able to duplicate the stalling problem with your car?
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 01:00 PM   #5
dagdaenigma
AF Newbie

Could not duplicate problem

They could not duplicate the problem but they were able to put a new computer module in. I now have the car back and am waiting for it to die again. I am really hoping it does not. I really appreciate your information.

Patrick McLaughlin