Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 07:46 AM   #1
kkiepvvessau
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kkiepvvessau Send a message via Yahoo to kkiepvvessau
maxima vs. legend coupe

2003 maxima 6 speed vs. 91 legend coupe type 2 5 speed
who would win ?
kkiepvvessau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 08:33 AM   #2
THT
AF Enthusiast

Re: maxima vs. legend coupe

The Max, undoubtedly. My 4th gen walked a 5spd Legend and he was trying hard. I didn't think we were racing so he got a full car length on me. Between 30-60, I walked right by him. A 3.5L should decimate the Legend.

~THT

Some people call it an obsession; I call it my Maxima.
THT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 08:38 AM   #3
kkiepvvessau
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kkiepvvessau Send a message via Yahoo to kkiepvvessau

5 speed legend come only type 1 engine
my is type 2 but 5 speed and type 2 originally come with 6 speed
kkiepvvessau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 08:57 AM   #4
THT
AF Enthusiast

Don't know if his was a Type 2 with a swap or not; I do know it was a tuned car though as it's owned by a gearhead who works at my local Nissan dealership.

~THT

Old 11-12-2004, 10:55 AM   #5
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

my friend has a '95 type 2 6 speed. it's a beautiful car but can't hang with the maxima. the 2 door 91 Legend L makes 200 hp and weighs 3400 lbs giving it a power:weight ratio of 17 lbs per hp. the maxima's power to weight is 12.6:1. which is a substantial difference.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 07:39 PM   #6
Caracicatriz
AF Enthusiast

Never go by weight to power ratio. My friends camry has a better power to weight ratio and My max still killed him. It wasn't even close.
Caracicatriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 08:34 PM   #7
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracicatriz
Never go by weight to power ratio. My friends camry has a better power to weight ratio and My max still killed him. It wasn't even close.
a lot of other factors come in to play but when the difference in power:weight is so drastic i'd say it's a fair tool to measure which is faster. Also are you sure about the wieght of v6 camry? a 1998 XLE V6 camry at 3250 lbs with 194 hp(www.edmunds.com) is still only a 16.6 lb per hp ratio which is more than a 4th gen max at 15.2 lbs per hp. a 1995 camry v6 is 2990 lbs with 188 hp so the power:weight(15.9) is almost similar to a 4th gen max.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:53 AM   #8
imports_only1
AF Newbie

Since a few of you said the Acura Legends can't hang with Maximas, I just had to find out for myself. My brother's car is a 1995 Acura Legend GS automatic and mine is a 1998 Nissan Maxima SE automatic. Both cars are pure stock....not even an aftermarket air intake. We both started from 0 mph. Flooring it at launch, I had him...almost a full car length, but as the speed increases, he slowly caught up and by 90mph, he beat me by 1.5 car lengths.

The Maxima is quick from the line due to its high torque, but at high RPMs, it's nothing compared to the high-reving engines of Hondas.

Thus, my conclusion is....TRUE STOCK vs. STOCK, his 95 Legend handily beats my 98 Maxima! I'm sure some of you will disagree with this because it's a Maxima forum, but hey..remember, I'm a Maxima driver also. I was not happy that I lost, but we all know the truth hurts sometimes.
imports_only1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:03 PM   #9
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by imports_only1
Since a few of you said the Acura Legends can't hang with Maximas, I just had to find out for myself. My brother's car is a 1995 Acura Legend GS automatic and mine is a 1998 Nissan Maxima SE automatic. Both cars are pure stock....not even an aftermarket air intake. We both started from 0 mph. Flooring it at launch, I had him...almost a full car length, but as the speed increases, he slowly caught up and by 90mph, he beat me by 1.5 car lengths.

The Maxima is quick from the line due to its high torque, but at high RPMs, it's nothing compared to the high-reving engines of Hondas.

Thus, my conclusion is....TRUE STOCK vs. STOCK, his 95 Legend handily beats my 98 Maxima! I'm sure some of you will disagree with this because it's a Maxima forum, but hey..remember, I'm a Maxima driver also. I was not happy that I lost, but we all know the truth hurts sometimes.
well, high revving has nothing to do with it since both cars redline at around 6600, but we were comparing an 02 maxima vs a 91 legend making 200 hp as opposed to the 94's+ that makes 230. what happened between your brothers legend and your maxima isn't really relevant in this comparison. i dont doubt that it's true, like i said, legends are very nice cars, and nissan's automatics suck compared to honda's.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:06 AM   #10
Bonka
AF Newbie

Re: Re: maxima vs. legend coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
and nissan's automatics suck compared to honda's.
TRUE. Most if not all Honda/Acura V6 ATs are even worse

SHIFT_
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:11 PM   #11
THT
AF Enthusiast

It's no secret that the 4th gens can't breathe past 5500rpms...that's why the MEVI/00VI results in such drastic top end gains.

~THT

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35