Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Other Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Other Motorsports DTM, BTCC, V8 Supercars, etc.
View Poll Results: NASCAR too Popular?
Yes. 19 65.52%
No. 3 10.34%
I like Muffins. 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 10:55 AM   #16
Auto_newb
AF Enthusiast

Re: Is NASCAR too Popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla's Keeper
I'm not going ban you, but sure as hell I'm going to give you an earful. Real oval racing is nothing like the stand on it and go racing you see at Talladega or Daytona. With flat tracks and short tracks, you basically end up with a four cornered road course.

Stock cars, like ARCA and ASA late models, are very closely related to SCCA Trans-Am cars. In fact, Port City and Lefthander chassis both sell kits that convert their late model chassis to SCCA GT1 spec. Just as you do on a road course in a Trans-Am/AGT/GT1 car, in a late model stock car you're braking heavy, clipping the apex, and then feathering the throttle to ease the car out of the corner. Of course, the fun little catch is that you don't have run off room or gravel traps to catch you if you get it wrong; you've got a concrete wall or another car outside of you.

And then let's talk about open wheel cars; sprint cars, midgets, Silver Crown, and supermodifieds. Big engines (410ci for a sprinter, 161ci four cylinders, 358ci, and 468ci respectively). direct drive (no transmission, just straight power into a locked rear axle, save for the two speed trans used in a Silver Crown car), big tires (supermods have 22inches on the right rear), and light weight (Silver Crown cars are the heavy weights of the bunch at around 1500lbs) make for radical acceleration and a lot of throttle steering. In fact, Tony Stewart (certainly a very skilled road racer who was raised oval) once said "You steer a formula car like an Indy car or a Champ Car with your eyes. You steer a sprint car with your ass."

They're vicious radical machines that have produced some of the greatest drivers of all time. Men like Mario Andretti and A.J. Foyt began their careers on ovals, and the extreme car control learned by piloting raw open wheel oval track machines translated to skills that gave them Indy, Le Mans, and even Formula One victories.

Never EVER underestimate the talent of the drivers at your local Saturday night short track all the way up to the major circuits like USAC, World of Outlaws, ISMA, ARCA, and the ASA. There's a lot more to circle track than meets the eye.
To be honest, I was actually sorta sarcastic about it being easy, but I just think that circuits (not ovals) are more exciting and different (maybe harder), cuz almost every turn is completely different. Whereas in an oval track the turns are so similar. Sure you can go fast but that's the only fun of it.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:11 PM   #17
bhoke
AF Newbie

Actually the majority of ovals have different corners. The corners are banked at differing degrees and have different shapes making the car have different handling in each corner. I don’t get cable, satellite, or Fox, but I have watched NASCAR, Indy type cars, and any other televised race all my life. I think that NASCAR is just better marketed than CART, IRL, La Mans, or Trans Am to the fans the sponsors and broadcasters. I think that it has something to do with the fact that as one person put it they use “40 year old technology” for the most part, hence the teams do not need to spend as much to be competitive and most modifications to improve speed have been discovered. In the majority of other racing series the teams with larger budgets usually win by large margins they can afford the newest technology, and better nonessential equipment. But I enjoy the local dirt track more than all the other races, the people, the racing because they have a dream or just plain enjoy it, the drivers harts are in it not yet distracted by fame, fortune, or media.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:32 PM   #18
speed_star
AF Regular

Yes it has gotten to popular, to the point that it starts hurting the racing itself.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:36 PM   #19
81911targasc
AF Regular

"And, by the way, what jackass is saying oval track is easy?"

ME to

all show all go
low ride low lap times
30 mpg 30 ft slide
6 gauges 6 cylinders
260 stickers 260 hp
3 inch drop 3 inch exhaust
160 hp modded 160* mph stock
people laugh people drool

Old 07-28-2005, 06:39 PM   #20
81911targasc
AF Regular

I cant stand nascar!!!!! ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

all show all go
low ride low lap times
30 mpg 30 ft slide
6 gauges 6 cylinders
260 stickers 260 hp

Old 07-28-2005, 06:40 PM   #21
81911targasc
AF Regular

oh yea, PORSCHE RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!

all show all go
low ride low lap times
30 mpg 30 ft slide
6 gauges 6 cylinders
260 stickers 260 hp

Old 08-02-2005, 04:10 PM   #22
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Porsches are nice, but why isn't a limited-slip differential available for the Boxster or the 911 in North America?
Old 08-05-2005, 03:04 PM   #23
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

Send a message via ICQ to nissanfanatic Send a message via AIM to nissanfanatic Send a message via MSN to nissanfanatic Send a message via Yahoo to nissanfanatic

NASCAR..... pfftt

Its all a big marketing setup since after 9/11, everyone is pro-American everything. Not that patriotism is bad, because anyone who thinks it is deserves a swift kick to the nuts, but companies have definatly taken advantage of it. Fox uses this to their advantage. They play NASCAR 24/7 and people think "Cool, fox supports the USA!" so they watch it. They wouldn't want to play Formula and not be "pro-USA,"

Still, NASCAR=lame. I don't want to watch a racing league where the cars that are racing could be beat by some street cars.... sorry.

I'm with 1viadrft.

1992 Nissan 240sx KA24DE-Turbo: The Showcar
Stock internals. Daily driven.
12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
Old 08-05-2005, 05:04 PM   #24
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

I think this has gone on long enough. Too many dipshits with no real arguments against (or for) NASCAR. Not to mention the age of the thread.

Thread locked.