Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
probehtr300
AF Enthusiast

gosh problems

ok so the other day i got in my car to g home from work and it was runnin really rough at idle and all through the pms and it was missing, so i was like ok no big i blew a coil pack so i drove home like that and ordered the coil pack. so the next day im at work and im gunna leave to go get the coil pack,......ing.......nothin, car wont start, nothin at all. the fuel pump turns on butit doent turn over at all, so i was like wtf...ok stater went out (i think), test the battery adn its fine so yeah i figured starter was teh culprit.. leave it at shop an get a ride, ordered the starter, took my old one out and put the new one in......ign.....and nothin, wont turn over or anything, so i guess it wasnt the starter butim sure it needed to be replaced eventually anyways. so i start checking all my wire connections i can find, they all seem fine, im gettin juice to the starter and at every point i checked with the power light, so i thought it might be the neuteral safety switch(the button that goes in when your cutch is all he way in) and it was fine and gettin power.............ok fine, so its the ignition switch took off the panels around the stearing column and check all the connections and wires goin into the ignition switch and theyr all fine,they all get a 12v at START, wtf i went home and i dont know whats up, but when i first started messin with the ign switch just like messin with the wires and stuff i bumped the key to START an it tured over, then i tried again an notin at all so i have no idea whats goin on and im lost...............does anyone know whats up or what to cheack or maybe know something i dont like what would keep my car from turning over thanks alot

oh and by the way i did change that blown coil pack

Past Z Car Crew

-josh
probehtr300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:48 PM   #2
probehtr300
AF Enthusiast

Re: gosh problems

i was lookin all over for info on my problem and twinturbo.net had a write up and it said theres an ignition relay behind the front drivers side wheel that needs replaced, ill order that monday, it sounds like thats my problem, but has anyone replaced that before ? i kinda answered my own question but if someone else has delt with this problem id still be good to hear

Past Z Car Crew

-josh
Old 03-12-2005, 10:36 PM   #3
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Thats good to know.... I had no clue there was a relay behind the front drivers wheel. I was going to suggest it was your ingition switch.... but it sounds like the relay now that I know there is one in the circuit.

Good info there.

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
liam91ttz
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to liam91ttz

probe have you done anything about you egr valves? i was thinking about removing mine all together when i get the time. sorry bout posting this in this tread, but it sounds like ur doing a lot of work to ur car

[B.] Past Z Car Crew [/B.]
liam91ttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:09 AM   #5
ExTrEmEDrIfT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via MSN to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via Yahoo to ExTrEmEDrIfT

lol i was gonna suggest your ignition switch too...

why dont you test your relay first before you go about replacing things..

i would still say your ignition switch cause you said you were messin with the ignition switch and accidentally bumped it over and it ran then it wouldnt after that maybe theres some loose connections or the igniion switch is just faulty..

---How are you so sure its the relay that your gunna order and replace id u test it?---

Past Z Car Crew

[The Enemy Of Your Enemy is Your Friend]

>>Keep Your Friends close : But Keep Your Enemies Even Closer <<
ExTrEmEDrIfT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:49 AM   #6
probehtr300
AF Enthusiast

well im gunna check the relay today, im not just gunna replace it without testing it, and if that seems ok ill test the ignition switch again, i got it covered but thanks extremedrift. and as for the ERG valve thing mr liam i have teh erg valve already but havent had the time to replace it yet, i took apart and moved all the crap blocking the erg but it looks kinda difficult to do with the motor in so im gunna finish what im workin on now wich includes replacing an o2 sensor and then ill worry bout the erg, have u done anything to your car lately liam or done anything to figure out the problems with your car ??? u can just PM me thanks guys

Past Z Car Crew

-josh
Old 03-14-2005, 04:38 PM   #7
probehtr300
AF Enthusiast

ok ive been tryin to figure out why my car wont start and i thought that relay was it for sure, but i was lokin at wiring diagrams in service mauals and they show that relay only bein on AT cars, plus i loked for it on my car and theres still a relay there but its fine, so i have no idea whats wrong, the neutral safety switch is fine, the batter and starters are fine, the ignition switch is fine, thats all i got besides a fuesable link and i checked the only one i could find and i checked all the fueses i could find and there all fine, if someone knows where theres fuesable links or whats causing this problem please help

Past Z Car Crew

-josh
Old 03-14-2005, 04:45 PM   #8
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Re: gosh problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by probehtr300
ok ive been tryin to figure out why my car wont start and i thought that relay was it for sure, but i was lokin at wiring diagrams in service mauals and they show that relay only bein on AT cars, plus i loked for it on my car and theres still a relay there but its fine, so i have no idea whats wrong, the neutral safety switch is fine, the batter and starters are fine, the ignition switch is fine, thats all i got besides a fuesable link and i checked the only one i could find and i checked all the fueses i could find and there all fine, if someone knows where theres fuesable links or whats causing this problem please help
the fuseable links on the 300zx's are right in front of the battery in a little rectangular box. sorry, thats all i can help you with...

sounds like it may be the infamous Power Transistor Unit failure...check under your hood and see if it has been replaced under the recall. there should be a sticker on the right under side of the hood.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:40 PM   #9
probehtr300
AF Enthusiast

yeah thats he fuesblelinks i checked and their fine and its not the ptu i already replaced that thing but thanks K3

so anyways i replaced that relay cuz it was only 15 bux and thats the last thing i hadnt checked and sure enough that was the problem put the new one in and she started right up thanks guys

Past Z Car Crew

-josh
Old 03-16-2005, 07:07 PM   #10
ExTrEmEDrIfT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via MSN to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via Yahoo to ExTrEmEDrIfT

why dont u try looking i the place that ended up being my problem...

do you have an aftermarket alarm on your car , the previous owner of my car did which i dont have the damn remote to , well th wire going to the fuse paanel in the drivrs coprtment had came loose caue they tried repairing it but ddnt suceed..

took me a day and a half to fix that ... for those who read about my poblem you know what all was happening to me>>

Past Z Car Crew

[The Enemy Of Your Enemy is Your Friend]

>>Keep Your Friends close : But Keep Your Enemies Even Closer <<
ExTrEmEDrIfT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:23 AM   #11
stephenp
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to stephenp

well this mioght sound stupid since you said you replaced the starter but on mine i had the same problem and theres a ground that clips into the ring around the starter, although i dont see how it can be necesary because its bolted to the block i mean ?? but anyway i cliped it on and sure enough it worked after that i had to zip tie it i must have clipped sothing with the underside of the car cause the clip was not staying sop zip it it is
stephenp is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)