Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 10:49 PM   #16
rendertrust
AF Enthusiast

Re: sts check it out

well the TC gets 23-30 mpg... its fwd and the internals are built to hold large amounts of boost... as much as i want to be the only one driving a TC i have to share the wealth, atleast go test drive one and tell me how it was since they dont let me test drive a car cause you have to be 21
rendertrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:57 PM   #17
MclarenF1
AF Regular

Oh wow. That is really cool. (The turbo, not the cat. I'm generally a dog kind of guy, even if the cat doesn't have an ass.) I honestly didn't know anyone had ever made a turbo set up like that work. Seems like one of those could be really easy to modify for use in other cars. Wouldn't it be awesome if you just had a y pipe running together after the cats, and hooked it into one of those things? Wahla! Single turbo Z. I wonder if my non turbo 96 would go haywire if put in some bigger injectors, hooked one of those up and ran @ 5 or 8psi. Hmmm. ECU would probably buck at it, or I would just burn a hole in one of the pistons. Maybe warp a head. Who knows. I guess I just need to buck up and buy a turbo in a couple of years, and keep my current ride as a daily driver. Things like that make you think, though. BTW, I apologize if any or all of this has already been brought up in the off topic thread. I haven't taken time to search through it yet. I noticed that mofo is getting long.

MclarenF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:02 PM   #18
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

for some reason, now that i think of it... it all seems too easy... why wouldn't more people have done it? we've gotta be missing something...
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:35 PM   #19
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: sts check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeleriousZ
for some reason, now that i think of it... it all seems too easy... why wouldn't more people have done it? we've gotta be missing something...
Because 99.9% of the people believe in myth and not in reality. Like turbo's run on heat and don't cause backpressure. Turbo's are better than a screw type supercharger. Turbo's make free HP from waisted exhaust gas.
There's a old saying," you can't see the forrest for the tree's.
Sometimes the simplest things are overlooked, because man seems to think it has to be complicated to work, or if it would work, why hasn't someone done it before?
What a screwed up world it would be if no one ever tried to do something that has never been done before. We'd all be driving the same kinda of car, and most likely the same color.
Dare to be different.
I'd rather try something never tried before and fail, than do something everyone else does and never know.
Zgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:41 PM   #20
rendertrust
AF Enthusiast

woo hoo zgringo! you inspired me to paint my Z pink with white flowers on the hood, thank you.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:59 PM   #21
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: sts check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgringo
Because 99.9% of the people believe in myth and not in reality. Like turbo's run on heat and don't cause backpressure. Turbo's are better than a screw type supercharger. Turbo's make free HP from waisted exhaust gas.
There's a old saying," you can't see the forrest for the tree's.
Sometimes the simplest things are overlooked, because man seems to think it has to be complicated to work, or if it would work, why hasn't someone done it before?
What a screwed up world it would be if no one ever tried to do something that has never been done before. We'd all be driving the same kinda of car, and most likely the same color.
Dare to be different.
I'd rather try something never tried before and fail, than do something everyone else does and never know.
you know what albert i think you just convinced me to do this thing... now all i need to do is find a good candidate and start picking up parts.. and to think this all started with me wanting to get a car that just gets good gas mileage.... geez!!!

speaking of that.. you wouldn't happen to have any extra boost guages kicking around... maybe an air/fuel ratio guage?
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

Old 03-16-2005, 12:29 AM   #22
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Sorry, I've got 2 cars that need o2 sensors and EGT gages myself.

I want to see that pink Z......
Old 03-16-2005, 01:18 AM   #23
MclarenF1
AF Regular

Soooooo....
What do you all predict the results of attaching one of those things to an NA Z would be? If bigger injectors were added, do you think the higher compression motor would have any problem with @8 or so pounds of boost?

Does anyone know how in the heck the turbo is lubricated? Surely it must tap into something else. The video on the website doesn't explain that aspect of the setup very well. And surely the intake filter is mounted somewhere other than under the car. If it was under the hood, that would take an awful long intake tube. And it seems like turbo lag would be a pretty big deal. Even so, I have no doubt it would work, and you would at least end up making more power than you did to begin with. Maybe its dangerous that I'm thinking about this so much. I have no bussiness spending that kind of money right now...

MclarenF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:40 AM   #24
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

it's got 2 lines, one from a pressurized part of the engine (probably a t off of where the oil filter goes) and one with an electric oil pump on it scavenging from the turbo and feeding back to the oil pan or soemthing.. the filter IS mounted somewhere under the vehicle... covered in a 'moisture sock' so it doesn't suck up too much water and dust.. it explains it somewhere on the site... altho i'm not sure how much room there would be under the zed for that sort of thing
ZedEx Crew Member #6

Old 03-16-2005, 03:01 AM   #25
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

More people don't do it because it's not a very build friendly setup.

As mentitioned, you have to either have a T off the oil filter and run the lines all the way back or have a remote oil pump, filter and pan setup for the turbo, along with a oil cooler on it since all it's going to get is hot oil right off the turbo (compressing air = heat).

Also the there is this problem: where are you going to mount it? Off the top of my head I can't think of too many places you could mount all of this hardware under a Z. On something like a SUV or higher riding car (Tc) then it wouldn't be too hard but then you still have to look at where you're going to run the boost pipes and everything else.

The best way to feed the filter would probably make up some sort of scoop that fed from the outside (like pull the glass out of the quarter window behind the door) directly into the filter then down through the floor to the turbo. That way you wouldn't have to worry about mounting a big filter under the car and it would be pulling clean air from ontop of the vehicle.

Basically it boils down to the fact that it's just a lot easier to have everything in one place. There much to be said for finding your own solutions. But at the same time, things are usually done a certain way for a reason, especially when it's something that gets as much scrutiny as sports cars.

Anyway, as for the practical application on your car, given an older engine, 8 psi is probably optimistic, but doable given some sort of intercooler/water injection setup to cool things down a bit once the turbo gets rolling. Probably more like 5-6 psi to be safe, no sense blowing a motor when you don't have to. Rob the 370cc injectors and ECU out of TT Z32 and modify the boost sensors and whatnot for the new setup and it would probably be pretty easy on the wiring side.

Quote:
We'd all be driving the same kinda of car, and most likely the same color.
Been to a Volvo or Volkswagen lot lately?

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:21 AM   #26
rendertrust
AF Enthusiast

imagine if you had it, youd love your car 10x more or maybe thats just me since ive got a N/A ... ive got wing west side skirts (think thats them) and at the end of the skirts next to the rear fender theres a hole and grill i guess for cooling the back brakes but you could just make some tubing to channel that air to where ever you need it right ? the skirt is specially designed to get air into that hole itd be genius, maybe have one on each side meeting in a Y, of course youd have to work around, damn dual exhaust plumbing
Old 03-16-2005, 04:23 PM   #27
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

OK guys I'm not going to flame you like you flame noobe's but when someone posts a website and ask's questions about a product, read it totally before you make remarks about it, then all can have a good idea whats going on.
First the oiling for the turbo's. comes fron a adaptor which goes under the oilfilter, and the return line go's back to the oil filler cap.
Because of the lenght of the oil lines exposed to the air, it helps cool the oil.
In talking to 2 different turbo mfg's engineers, there statement was Rick Squires (STS) has proven beyond any doubt that the velocity and back pressure of the exhaust and not heat differantial is what drives the turbo..(just like I've been saying for years)and mounting the turbo's outside the engine compartment, drops the temp. both in the engine as well as the turbo by 500F.
Because of the intake pressure tube length and it's exposure to outside air there's no need for Intercoolers, so that restriction is not present, and if high boost pressures are used then water/alky injection well more than do the job of dropping the temp. much better than a IC could.
Because of the exhaust tube lenght between the engine and turbo, the exhaust tube act's like a accumlator and turbo lag is almost not present.
As for intake air, most intake air is being taken fron the rear wheelwell. Out of harms way and very cool air.
Now if you want facts and figures, say the magic word and I'll go the next step.
And yes it well work on a N/A, and very good I might say.
Now if any of you are really serious I'll give you Rick's personal phone number, and I can gurantee he well give you nothing but facts and lots of help.
He is to turbo's as I am to screwtype superchargers. He's dared to be different and has made his point and proven old myths suck.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:42 PM   #28
ExTrEmEDrIfT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via MSN to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via Yahoo to ExTrEmEDrIfT

yah i have seen this remote mounted turbos for so long back like 5 years ago its a pretty genious idea but i still dont wanna mount mine there... you lose boost pressure also i have heard..

Past Z Car Crew

[The Enemy Of Your Enemy is Your Friend]

>>Keep Your Friends close : But Keep Your Enemies Even Closer <<
ExTrEmEDrIfT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:49 PM   #29
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTrEmEDrIfT
yah i have seen this remote mounted turbos for so long back like 5 years ago its a pretty genious idea but i still dont wanna mount mine there... you lose boost pressure also i have heard..
that's what a recirculation valve would be for... the only thing that you'd really have to worry about is spooling in 1st gear, and you're usually not in it long enough for it to make that much of a difference anyway... but as everyone keeps saying, the amount of air held by the length of intake piping is almost equal to... even less in some cases than a car with a large intercooler setup.

al does rick have an e-mail? i'm not very good with phones, and i'm sure the cost of the international call would rape me like a farmer's daughter on prom night...
ZedEx Crew Member #6

Old 03-16-2005, 09:24 PM   #30
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTrEmEDrIfT
More untrue myths. You don't lose anything, you really hold pressure better.

"D", it's, rick@ststurbo.com Tell him Zgringo McCallson wants him to give you the 25 cent tour. They don't have a bolt on kit for the 300Z but it's much easer of all the installations there is.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)