Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
IsuzuFire
AF Newbie

Smile Alright guys. About to start the 2JZ GTE Swap.

Alright guys. I'm getting ready to start my swap project. I'm trying to find a junked supra to pull the 2JZ block and 6 speed tranny out of. I might end up just buying one online or something, but this way I could get the motor and tranny at the same time. If anybody didn't see my other post, this swap is going in my Isuzu Rodeo Sport. My plans are to create the ultimate street SUV. I did a rough add up of what everything's going to end up costing. When I get the motor I'm going to strip it down, and redo everything. I'm going to have to spend roughly around $17,000 in parts for the engine alone. and when I'm down she'll be pushing out around 700 horse at the flywheel. Give or take a little. It's going to cost me roughly another $10,000 to modify the Rodeo Sport to get everything all at home in there. Altogether, right there I'm looking at around $27,000 just to get the motor and tranny complete and in there. Then I'm making my list up of all my other stuff. I'm looking at around $2,000 for my scissor door kit, roughly $6,700 for my body kit and hood work, and another $10,000 I'm giving myself for interior work. Haha. This projects going to be intense. Don't bother commenting on this if you're just going to tell me how crazy I am for dropping this kind of cash into the Rodeo Sport. I already know I'm insane. Haha. I'll keep you guys posted as progress is made. This project is honestly going to take a few years to be fully complete. But I'm happy to say It's finally getting started. Oh, also, my buddies helping me create a drop down box underneath my trunk. When it's finished, I'm going to be running 5 50 pound bottles of spray down there. Wish me luck guys. I'll keep you all posted as I move along with this project.
IsuzuFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Re: Alright guys. About to start the 2JZ GTE Swap.

Have you thought what happens to front suspension and wheel hubs if you pull the front diff and drive shafts out?

And, have you measured the engine bay and transmission tunnel to check if the 2jz will fit?

And, what are your plans for the rear suspension and diff?
Theres going to be a lot of work needed if you want to put 700+hp to the road through a rear end designed to handle a lot less off road.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
IsuzuFire
AF Newbie

Yep. Everythings been taken into consideration. And this is a massive project. Everything needs to be custom fabricated. And I totally know whAt I'm getting myself into. The 2jz will be a tight fit, but with the engine bay completely stripped it will fit.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
IsuzuFire
AF Newbie

My bad I forgot to answer your question about the rear suspension. Well. Like I said I'm most likey just goingto buy a parts supra and use most of the parts that I can. And as for suspension I'm getting koni adjustables. The twin turbo supra weighs roughly 3,600 pounds. The rodeo sport weighs 3,700 pounds. So weight is in the same area. So, some parts this project will be decided as they come, but he rodeo sport is getting stripped down completely so anything that needs to be done can be done
Old 12-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Your going to need more than a set of shocks.

The last Rodeo I saw had a pretty simple live axle set up designed for high ground clearance and lots of articulation. It's designed to share no more than about 250hp with the front wheels.
Put ~700hp through that standard suspension and axle and you will get complete loss of traction, followed by lots of tyre smoke, followed by a blown diff.

Which is a good thing, because if you do manage to get that 700hp onto the road, your going to have one hell of a hard time stopping it with the standard brakes

Did you check the engine fits, and has room for a radiator, fan and intercooler?
I know several people who have measured up engine bays, dropped the motor in, then realized the radiator doesn't fit.
Or worse, dropped it in, then realized they have to take it out again to change the spark plugs.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
IsuzuFire
AF Newbie

Yeah man, everything's been measured out. and luckily, i didn't forget about the radiator. the entire fronts being ripped apart though. i'm having my body kit built around my intercooler too. its gonna be a snug fit when everything is all set up in there, but its going to be a nice setup. mainly, because like you mentioned, maintenance isn't gonna be an issue. it took me a year and a half to decide on the 2jz swap. i went back and forth a lot. and now i finally have everything figured out, and im ready to get this project started. And i have a friend who said he's going to take care of my suspension and other drivetrain issues for me. I dont know what hes up to yet, but he said he has something special figured out for me. so ill find out exactly what hes got figured out tonight and let ya guys know. the biggest issues its looking like right now, are just getting everything fabricated for the 2jz, and the 6 speed.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Start a photo diary and keep us updated...we'll all live vicariously through you. Good luck!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
IsuzuFire
AF Newbie

thanks man. appreciate it. cuz imma need all the luck i can get haha. like i said this is going to be a project over the course of the next few years. but yeah ill start putting pics up as soon as i can.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2jz , suv
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical