Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 06:46 PM   #1
Denalix5
AF Regular

Cold Air Intake systems

Anybody have a Cold air intake system on their Yukon? Which is the best type to get? VOLANT, AEM, AIRAID, K&N ???

The Volant system is the only one with an enclosed box. Is this more restrictive than the others? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have an 04 Yukon Denali with the 6.0L engine. I'm leaning toward the volant or the K&N systems.
Denalix5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:00 AM   #2
bcopeland
AF Enthusiast

Got mine off of Ebay and its great - power to spare!
bcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:03 AM   #3
Denalix5
AF Regular

Re: Cold Air Intake systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcopeland
Got mine off of Ebay and its great - power to spare!

What kind did you get? What improvements have you noticed?
Old 03-24-2005, 09:51 PM   #4
bcopeland
AF Enthusiast

Power. A little bit better fuel economy. I did put the box on but it is not enclosed.
bcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:09 AM   #5
jubaby
AF Newbie

Which one did you get and what year truck 2 do have
jubaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
Eggert
AF Regular

Hi,
Please remember that the factory air filter box also is a 'cold air intake system'.
As mentioned in the previous post, the K+N also sits in an enclosed box when you close the hood.
That is where the 'cold' in 'cold air intake system' comes from.
No 'hot' air out of the engine compartment, but 'cold' air out of the passenger side fender well.
Any of these things are not making a great difference, about 5%, 15 HP on top of 300 HP. You can even get a K+N filter element to put into the original air filter box. I doubt that it is less effective than the replacement systems. They just can sell you more parts for more money if they replace the air filter box and snorkel.

Take care, Eggert
Eggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:34 PM   #7
sunbeam7011
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denalix5
Anybody have a Cold air intake system on their Yukon? Which is the best type to get? VOLANT, AEM, AIRAID, K&N ???

The Volant system is the only one with an enclosed box. Is this more restrictive than the others? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have an 04 Yukon Denali with the 6.0L engine. I'm leaning toward the volant or the K&N systems.
I have heard great things about the volant. I put a 77 series K&N on my 04 Yukon 4.8, 3.42 rear end. I did headers and rear exhaust as well, so I cant say for real certain on improvemnts on mileage, but I did notice more kick for sure. I am getting around 18.3 in town and about 23.5 MPG highway. The range in town (the miles I go in between fill ups, the needle is laying on E) is about 460 miles or so before I start thinking about the next gas station. And this is very consistant I might mention. I am very pleased with the results I'm receiving from the performance enhancements.
sunbeam7011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:58 PM   #8
Denalix5
AF Regular

Re: Re: Cold Air Intake systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk7ac
I have heard great things about the volant. I put a 77 series K&N on my 04 Yukon 4.8, 3.42 rear end. I did headers and rear exhaust as well, so I cant say for real certain on improvemnts on mileage, but I did notice more kick for sure. I am getting around 18.3 in town and about 23.5 MPG highway. The range in town (the miles I go in between fill ups, the needle is laying on E) is about 460 miles or so before I start thinking about the next gas station. And this is very consistant I might mention. I am very pleased with the results I'm receiving from the performance enhancements.

I decided on the Volant system. Should be here by Friday. If doesn't make the engine too loud, I'll probably switch my exhaust to a 22" Magnflow. With a 6.0 engine in my truck I don't know if I can come close to your mileage numbers, but I sure hope it goes up a couple of MPG.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:04 PM   #9
almasoni
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Cold Air Intake systems

Quote:
I decided on the Volant system. Should be here by Friday. If doesn't make the engine too loud, I'll probably switch my exhaust to a 22" Magnflow. With a 6.0 engine in my truck I don't know if I can come close to your mileage numbers, but I sure hope it goes up a couple of MPG.
I considered a cold air intake for an '02 Denali but decided against it. After looking at the specs from various manufacturers, the performance gains were mostly in the high RPM range. Under normal conditions, I've noticed my truck runs at rather low RPM (2000 or less) due to the large 6.0L engine. Net, I didn't think I would see any difference from the stock intake esp. for the couple hundred bucks. I'll be curious to hear any feedback you have on the results.
almasoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:13 PM   #10
ukaussi
AF Newbie

04 Denali XL

Put the full Volant system on including the optional "scoop" that pulls air from the lower bumber area and brings it up into the bottom of the airbox.
No other performance mods done (wife's truck)
Engine is noticeably noisier than stock due to the lack of air baffles that the stock intake pipe has.
Does have better pickup at high rpm, especially when on freeway. Seems not to choke as much at high rpm although rarely punch it that hard.
Maybe 1 mpg improvement but she only gets 9-10mpg so technically 1 mpg is a lot
ukaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:16 PM   #11
Denalix5
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukaussi
04 Denali XL

Put the full Volant system on including the optional "scoop" that pulls air from the lower bumber area and brings it up into the bottom of the airbox.
Engine is noticeably noisier than stock due to the lack of air baffles that the stock intake pipe has.
Does have better pickup at high rpm, especially when on freeway. Seems not to choke as much at high rpm although rarely punch it that hard.

Wow only 9-10mpg. I do primarily city driving and get at least 11 to 12mpg. Does she park at wait for the kids at school while the engine is running?
Old 04-04-2005, 05:25 PM   #12
ukaussi
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Cold Air Intake systems

Quote:
Wow only 9-10mpg. I do primarily city driving and get at least 11 to 12mpg. Does she park at wait for the kids at school while the engine is running?
She works, but commute is only 2-3 miles on suburban streets.

At weekend I drive and occasionally sit in the car with AC running for 1/2 hour with kids watching DVD whilst she goes in a store. But haven't for a while as it has not been that hot here in SoCA.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:33 PM   #13
Eggert
AF Regular

Hi,
my mpg on a 6 liter Yukon XL K2500 4.10 rear end is 10 city, 14 hiway, 7 towing.
Take care, Eggert
Eggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:00 AM   #14
ukaussi
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukaussi
04 Denali XL

Whilst driving this weekend I noted that low rpm noise is indeed higher due to the intake pipe and that it really is more powerful and pulls a lot stronger in the 4000rpm+ range. It is much quicker that our previous 2WD 2003 Yukon XL (5.3)
Old 04-05-2005, 05:51 PM   #15
Denalix5
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cold Air Intake systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by almasoni
I considered a cold air intake for an '02 Denali but decided against it. After looking at the specs from various manufacturers, the performance gains were mostly in the high RPM range. Under normal conditions, I've noticed my truck runs at rather low RPM (2000 or less) due to the large 6.0L engine. Net, I didn't think I would see any difference from the stock intake esp. for the couple hundred bucks. I'll be curious to hear any feedback you have on the results.
I just put the volant intake w/o the scoop on yesterday. It took me about 1/2 an hour. Went very smooth.

First thing I noticed when I started the engine is that there was no noticeable difference in noise. Everything sounded stock. When I stepped on the gas is when I noticed a difference. It seemed more responsive and seemed to accelerate up to speed a little faster, but still no real difference in sound. The biggest difference was when I really got on it. Then you could hear the rush of air go into the intake and really pick up speed. I'm not sure what the horsepower gain is, but the intake definately lets the engine breathe better. There is no lag from a stop to freeway speed. For $250 this is definately a good option to put on.

My next mods will hopefully be a Granitelli MAS (mass airflow sensor) and a Magnaflow exhaust.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon