Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: What HIGHWAY gas mileage do you get in your Chevy 1500 series truck?
26 mpg or better Highway mileage 10 1.65%
24 mpg or more 6 0.99%
22 mpg or more 17 2.81%
20 mpg or more 74 12.21%
18 mpg or more 133 21.95%
16 mpg or more 159 26.24%
14 mpg or more 116 19.14%
12 mpg or more 62 10.23%
10 mpg or more 19 3.14%
Less than 10 mpg Highway mileage 10 1.65%
Voters: 606. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 11:38 AM   #91
White Lightening
AF Regular

Re: GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

Greetings,

Have you noticed that more than 210 votes have been cast regarding us truck owners highway gas mileages for our Chevy 1500 series trucks? Great response to date - but there are more votes out there still to come. Obviously people are reading this thread - hopefully many have gotten new ideas or insights from the combined efforts of many.

I recently observed that Chevy is saying they improved the gas mileage on the 2005 1500s versus the 2004 and prior. Considering they are using the same engines - I'm wondering how they did that. Its not a big amount - about 1 MPG city and 1 MPG highway. Still - the body seems identical, engine does too, did they change the shift points or gearing?

Updating my truck performance. Originally I got about 20 or 20.5 mpg on the highway during much of my first couple thousand miles (after switching gas caps, tonneau, Slick 50 etc. etc.). But now - after 5,000 miles on the odometer (and after my 3rd oil change now) - mileage has improved to 21.5 or above on the highway (still no changes or alterations other than mileage on the odometer). I figure this isn't too bad for a 6 liter engine - apparently "break in" period is now showing some positive results.

Has anyone else tried some of the suggestions mentioned in this thread? Many contributors have added a number of great ideas. I know I've used several of them - all for the positive - I still haven't done a tuning chip (I'm told by Nelson to expect another 1 to 2 MPG while adding about 30 HP of performance too).

For those who might think MPG isn't importent - I continue to disagree. Its not so much the cost of gas (though that makes an effect too) but Efficiency of any machine - can be determined by the power required to make it operate PROPERLY. I'm not talking about starving or stripping performance away or measuring under only "perfect" conditions or with the smallest engine. With a 345 horsepower V8 engine in a full size 2wd 2004 extended cab 1500 truck - I haven't lost a bit of performance or handling.

When I left the Chevy dealership with 32 miles on my new truck - I had a big smile on my face - a new monthly payment to make - and I got 17.5 mpg on the highway. I believed from the day I left the dealership - that I could improve on those numbers - just as I had with other past vehicles. Since focusing on how to improve the mileage - it has gone up and up - to now - with 5200 miles on the truck - I'm getting 21.5 and better (one trip was just over 22). And as per my theory - my performance has kept equal or improved. My theory is virtually all vehicles can experience improvements if the owner is willing to make the small efforts to do it. Factory mileage levels - like factory performance levels - are the beginning - not the absolute - and as many of you modifiers will attest - improvements are possible from GM's "average" settings.

Many threads on the automotive forums seem to have complaints or negative comments on their vehicles. I have none on mine to date (knock on wood). The idea of this thread isn't to complain - but to improve - to make it better for each and all of us - regardless what you do get - can it be better?

Most of us use our trucks for work and pleasure combined - so they need "to be a truck". I'm pleased so many others of all years and conditions - have seen it the same way and have worked on making this thread a positive one. Keep the ideas coming - we can use all the help we can get to improve our vehicles. Saving nickels and dimes - now has turned into saving dollars at the gas pump - and just as importantly, improving the performance and longevity of our vehicles - seems a great investment of time and effort - to me.

Nothing is too small of an idea that can't be discussed - your suggestions all can be equally valuable to some of us readers.

White Lightening

Last edited by White Lightening; 06-08-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:45 PM   #92
kenwood guy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to kenwood guy

I got a question how about a smaller truck with a big engine would that truck have good gas milage the only one I can think of is the dakota r/t with the 5.9 engine it would take alot less to push a smaller truck right???
Old 05-15-2005, 07:14 AM   #93
White Lightening
AF Regular

Re: Re: GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwood guy
I got a question how about a smaller truck with a big engine would that truck have good gas milage the only one I can think of is the dakota r/t with the 5.9 engine it would take alot less to push a smaller truck right???
I have a couple friends with Dakota extended cabs with the V8 Magnum engine. I just don't understand it - Dodge trucks seem to get lousy mileage. Their Dakotas (my friends) - each get about 17 mpg on the highway (they drive alot of highway) and don't have the opportunity to hammer the throttle. A full size Dodge with the same engine in it gets the same or even a hair better mileage. There "ought" to be a benefit to driving a Dakota over a full size - their "ought" to be a benefit to a Ranger over a F150 - but it doesn't seem to be much if any difference for comparably sized engine performance/power.

White Lightening
Old 05-15-2005, 10:13 PM   #94
kenwood guy
AF Enthusiast

sad
Old 06-02-2005, 11:39 AM   #95
White Lightening
AF Regular

I've heard tell that using E-85 gas (fully ethanol) - although lower in price per gallon - nets out less MPG - so that many don't really end up saving much money by using it. Any others aware of such similar circumstances?

I guess the 2002 thru 2005 5.3 liter engines in the Silverado can use it - my 6.0 liter LQ9 supposedly is flex-fuel also - but with only 13 cents seperating premium gas from unleaded - I'll choose premium over the even cheaper E-85 - just not worth the risks to me.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:00 PM   #96
redwheeler
AF Regular

e 85 is a good thing helps local econmy not arabs
made from corn
if ur truck is a flex fuel be shure us it ive been usin it my truck seems to have more power but i do get a little lower mpg i say use it
Old 06-03-2005, 12:33 AM   #97
White Lightening
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwheeler
made from corn
if ur truck is a flex fuel be shure us it ive been usin it my truck seems to have more power but i do get a little lower mpg i say use it
If the motivation to use E85 is saving money - it doesn't seem logical. If you save 25 or 30 cents a gallon - but get less MPG - your net cost may actually be higher. Additionally - ethanol - from what I've been told - is more abrasive or "harder" on engines and components. Time will tell - I'm sticking with premium until more evidence exists to counterbalance the multiple potential disadvantages of E85. Maybe if they come out with an E93 - it might get a little more interesting

Last edited by White Lightening; 06-03-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:58 AM   #98
yakk
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwheeler
made from corn
I can't comment on the technical aspects of using ethanol, but us taxpayers sure have been suckered by the corn and ethanol industries. Our tax subsidies have artificially propped up this industry, when we could be spending that money on other energy programs that would truly reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

IMHO, that part of the local economy doesn't deserve its special status, as it hasn't delivered on promises to reduce foreign oil dependance nor reduce air pollution. It was a sham from the beginning. If you really believe what you've stated then you've been breathing their fumes for too long.

Sorry for the rant, it's just one of my many pet peeves.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:12 AM   #99
White Lightening
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakk
I can't comment on the technical aspects of using ethanol, but us taxpayers sure have been suckered by the corn and ethanol industries. Our tax subsidies have artificially propped up this industry, when we could be spending that money on other energy programs that would truly reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

IMHO, that part of the local economy doesn't deserve its special status, as it hasn't delivered on promises to reduce foreign oil dependance nor reduce air pollution. It was a sham from the beginning. If you really believe what you've stated then you've been breathing their fumes for too long.

Sorry for the rant, it's just one of my many pet peeves.
I also agree with several of your points. The idea is supposed to be - to produce a product that is at least as good (or better) than what we have now. I'm told that the actual total cost of production of a gallon of E85 is well over $3.00 a gallon (well over) - and we are subsidizing that gap (and have for years) with our tax dollars. Pipeline companies and refiners have had a heck of a time too - as the transmission of Ethanol based product requires special handling because of its corrosive/caustic effects. Our gas prices would be lower - if refiners didn't have to jump thru all the ethanl hoops they do now.

To date - testing shows E85 will propel some vehicles. But so does rubbing alcohol or Jack Daniels - but that doesn't mean its a smart thing to do. As yet we don't know what E85 actually does to vehicle engines and catalytic converters over time and many miles of use. If E85 turns out to harm or prematurely age these items - then that means more resources wasted because more vehicles and parts have to be produced than would have the other way - and more land fill products etc. etc.. And air quality?

Environmental benefits and energy efficiencies come when we can measure ALL the impacts - not just a few.

White Lightening
Old 06-03-2005, 08:01 PM   #100
redwheeler
AF Regular

the reason that it is not doing any good is because people like u dont give it a try and dont research what the stuff is befor u bash it
oh yeah this stuff dosent hurt a engine it is good for it it cleans it as u drive it and the alt fuel that hurts engine parts it methanol

1996 chevrolet silverado 5.7L 4x4
nothin but a k&n for now i just got it
Old 06-07-2005, 11:54 PM   #101
kenwood guy
AF Enthusiast

quick question how much better does the 4.3 do better on gas?? and does the 5.3 have better mpg then the ram 1500 02 and up??? how about vs the fords mpg???
Thanx
Old 06-08-2005, 07:16 AM   #102
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlenderWizard

no matter what engine you have in the truck, the gas mileage is just about the same.

"When I step on the gas, I want people to think the world is coming to an end!" - Homer Simpson
2002 ECSB, Nelson Tune, LS1 electric fans, 145A alternator, K&N FIPK, 160º T-stat, TB coolant bypass, Corvette servo, 4 headlight mod, blue LED gauge cluster
Old 06-08-2005, 11:40 AM   #103
White Lightening
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwood guy
quick question how much better does the 4.3 do better on gas?? and does the 5.3 have better mpg then the ram 1500 02 and up??? how about vs the fords mpg???
Thanx
Quick answer for you. I know several people with 03 and 04 Ford F150s or Dodge 1500's. My 6 liter Silverado seems to get much better gas mileage than either of those groups (currently mine is 21.5 to 22 mpg highway driving).

White Lightening
Old 06-08-2005, 01:13 PM   #104
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlenderWizard

Plus, GM is the only full size truck manufacturer to recommend 87 octane. The other trucks recommend higher octanes.

"When I step on the gas, I want people to think the world is coming to an end!" - Homer Simpson
2002 ECSB, Nelson Tune, LS1 electric fans, 145A alternator, K&N FIPK, 160º T-stat, TB coolant bypass, Corvette servo, 4 headlight mod, blue LED gauge cluster
Old 06-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #105
kenwood guy
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlenderWizard
Plus, GM is the only full size truck manufacturer to recommend 87 octane. The other trucks recommend higher octanes.
wow I did not know that only gm??? if thats the case it would cost more to own a dodge or ford

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado