Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 03:23 PM   #1
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
What car would Jay Leno take on a 3000 mile road trip??

Why, his McLaren F1, of course...

MileMarker magazine asks:

"3,000-mile road trip. Pick the vehicle and your co-pilot - it can be anyone, from any time or era."

Quote:
Jay Leno's response:

"I would probably take the McLaren F1, because that's the greatest car there is! It's unbelievable - the top speed is 241 miles per hour and it's extremely comfortable. The thing that people don't know about the F1, is that unlike an Enzo or some other exotic, the McLaren F1 is totally drivable. It's a road car - it was designed to be a road car from the get-go.

I mean, it's smaller than a Corvette, yet I can hold three people in it and still have room for luggage. It weighs less than a Miata, and it has 627 horsepower. You sit in the center and because you sit in the center, there's enough legroom for drivers or passengers that are seven feet and taller.

It's actually one of the only cars that I drive where I find myself moving the seat a little bit forward before I take off. It's so comfortable, and I find it to be the perfect vehicle because people who know what it is see it and tend to go nuts, and people who don't know about it just don't know about it and leave you alone.

It isn't like the Enzo with a big long nose, where as soon as you're seen it in, you're labeled as the middle-aged guy with "that problem" in his life. The car just looks right, and it drives perfectly - everything about it is just right. There's no wing, there's no spoilers, it just does what it's supposed to do. It has normal road clearance, so when you go over a speed bump or come to a driveway, you're not tearing off half of the spoilers.

You know, I remember someone lent me a new Lamborghini Diablo back in the mid-90s, and I'm leaving my driveway really slowly and I go "scccccrrrrrrrrthhhh" [makes a scraping noise] and I rip off the front spoiler. I'm going, "You know, I'm not supposed to be doing this to people's cars, I don't beat them up, I don't wreck them," but it was so embarrassing because the thing is so low and the nose is so long that as soon as you hit a pebble, you're ripping the thing up. That's not for me.
The only criticism that I have about the McLaren, and it's not really a fair criticism, but you have to be so darn careful with your speed. I mean, going 100 mph in that thing is like going 30 [mph] in any other car, and if I'm not careful, I'll look down and be like, "Oh crap, I'm going 175! I'm not an irresponsible idiot!" It's the exact opposite of the Morgan, where 35 [mph] feels like 100 [mph].

I mean, it sounds dumb, but the thing gathers speed like nothing - you put your foot in it for a second to pass someone and you're doing 140 miles an hour. It's ridiculous, but it is an absolute joy to drive, you're just going, "What the hell am I doing?"
You know - I just love Jay Leno!! He's like my automotive idol!!

Here's a link so you can read the rest of the article:

Cruising with Jay Leno

There's a small mention of his other Gordon Murray-desinged car - the LCC Rocket as well.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 05:47 PM   #2
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

the forums are officially dead

btw: nice article peloton
mini magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 06:41 PM   #3
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
It's summer time - go outside and enjoy the world. Things will pick back up in September when everyone is supposed to be doing their homework and stuff.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 10:55 PM   #4
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche
hehee, I am soo failing 1st year Uni cause of AF. I can see it now.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 08:47 AM   #5
McLarenF1GTR
AF Newbie

Thumbs up i 2nd that!

jay leno is the man!!

certainly one great story teller regarding the car experience -- everyone can relate to him in their own small way.. really nice to hear he is so mechanically inclined too..

just imagine for a second -- having a 100 cars plus in your garage!
McLarenF1GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:25 AM   #6
TexasF355F1
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TexasF355F1
Excellent post, thanks! Jay Leno is the man. One of the few celebs you can call a "true" car guy.
TexasF355F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 01:30 PM   #7
tvrfreak
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tvrfreak Send a message via Yahoo to tvrfreak
A friend and I were visiting Jay Leno's collection last year and I made a comment about the McLaren. Five minutes later, we were out being given a very quick ride in it.

I also got to fire up his helicopter-turbine-powered motorcycle, but I didn't have the guts to take it out after he told me what it was like.
tvrfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 10:35 PM   #8
McLarenF1GTR
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by tvrfreak
A friend and I were visiting Jay Leno's collection last year and I made a comment about the McLaren. Five minutes later, we were out being given a very quick ride in it.

I also got to fire up his helicopter-turbine-powered motorcycle, but I didn't have the guts to take it out after he told me what it was like.
that's totally awesome TVRfreak!! does Leno have a TVRspeed12, or is that just John Travolta?

after reading some of your very recent (quality) posts about Laguna Seca, a new goal i've set myself is to bring my car over to race you and your buddies.. *grinning*

do they need FIA race certification before letting you on the track?
McLarenF1GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 12:17 AM   #9
tvrfreak
AF Regular

John Travolta has a TVR Tuscan Speed 6, I think. No one outside the factory has Cerbera Speed 12s, so far as I know. Apparently TVR is not keen to sell them, and Peter Wheeler will try to talk any prospective customer into buying T440Rs instead. And there's only three of them to begin with. Someone on this board might buy one though...

You should have come over this weekend. There's 4 days of amazing car stuff--starting this Thursday. On Thursday, there's an exotic and historic car drive. Friday, there is Concorso Italiano. Saturday is Vintage racing at Laguna Seca, including the Le Mans-winning Ford GT40 Mk IV driven by a friend of mine, as well as countless other significant cars. And Sunday is the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance! It's all in the Monterey area, and I can't sleep already. It's the second best event in the world, after Goodwood! There will be tons of concept cars, all the exotics, etc., etc.

Do a search for pics of previous events to get an idea of what it's like, or wait for my pics which should be up on Monday.

Be sure to let me know if you come over! Your goal is an easy one to achieve--it's only $1200 or so to ship a car over on a roll-on, roll-off ship. You will save that much in gas (petrol) by driving it here instead of in England!!!! Work with a shipping broker who can book it all the way to San Francisco, but put it on a ship to New York/New Jersey. It will cross the ocean in 7 days, and then it will take another week to get to SF by train. This is much quicker than the 28 days it would take if it were to come by ship to LA/San Francisco. That Panama Canal requires a serious detour.

FIA papers are only needed for FIA events. Regular track days don't even require a driver's license!

Best,
tvrfreak.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:52 AM   #10
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Peloton25
It's summer time - go outside and enjoy the world.

>8^)
ER
I'M gonna go in my new pool , i love this new house....
mini magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:03 AM   #11
tvrfreak
AF Regular

Terribly interesting. Be sure to tell us every time you put your shoes on too.