Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
rayman345
AF Newbie

Diesel in a gas engine.

I think I may have put Diesel into my engine a few weeks ago. Is there anyway of knowing whether or not I did this. Weird question, I know.
rayman345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
toddman67
AF Regular

Re: Diesel in a gas engine.

Pull a fuel sample and have it tested at a lab. You may be able to have it tested through your auto parts store if they offer this kind of services.
Other wise, get the fuel blend out and start out with fresh gas to be on the safe side and before any adverse affects happen. Us the blend in your push mower or bon-fire starter.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
rayman345
AF Newbie

I've been riding it for a few weeks and put regular gas in it twice since then, would a fuel test still work.
rayman345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
toddman67
AF Regular

The fuel test would still shows signs of the fuel contamination, however the fuels will separate after sitting a while. the diesel will remain on top and will not get picked up until the fuel gets low. Chances are that if you have not relized any adverse affects to this point you may be alright.
The other option to have the fuel tested, is your local fuel delivery Co. or shake the fuel up, take a fuel sample in a clear jar and see if it separates over a period of time.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddman67 View Post
The fuel test would still shows signs of the fuel contamination, however the fuels will separate after sitting a while. the diesel will remain on top and will not get picked up until the fuel gets low. Chances are that if you have not relized any adverse affects to this point you may be alright.
The other option to have the fuel tested, is your local fuel delivery Co. or shake the fuel up, take a fuel sample in a clear jar and see if it separates over a period of time.
Just my opinion here..... I have drained several fuel tanks where gasoline and diesel have been mixed.... and there never was any sign of separation, regardless of how long they sat.

Diesel or gas and water will seperate, but diesel and gas will stay together.

Liquid petroleum products pretty much never separate on their own. They will stay mixed. You can mix gasoline with oil, diesel etc and you will end up with a homogeneous liquid.

The only way to seperate them is through distillation, which really is a form of evaporation. If you let a gas and diesel mix sit in an open container, the more volatile hydrocarbons, (which are gasoline components) will evaporate first, leaving a liquid that is mostly diesel fuel.

Imo if your car runs and drives fine, and you have already reliffed it a couple of times with gas, then do not worry about it. If there was any damage donw, you would have noticed it by now.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical