Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Mustang Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 11:57 PM   #1
macx
AF Newbie

Lucas Oil "Transmission Fix" ???

My newly rebuild beefed AOD didn't want to shift into 2nd when cold, but would shift fine when warmed up some. Same problem as on the first rebuild several years ago, sticky valve in the valve body.

A local reputable shop that I've gotten parts and tech advice from agreed it was likely a sticky valve and suggested an additive to
try to free it.

I bought the Lucas Oil additive as I felt it should be a reputable, quality product and it advertised it frees sticky valves.

I slowly poured it in a thoroughly warmed transmission with the engine running to mix it well with the fluid, though was surprised at how thick it was. When I tried it, I found it would hardly go into gear at all, and when it did, acted like it was slipping badly! Tried reverse to forward and back a couple times, no improvement.

Anybody had any experience with this stuff?

Do I just maybe need to run it longer to mix it in better?

Hate to lose a whole fresh batch of Mercon V, new filter & gasket
if I have to get that stuff out of the trans!

Thanks for any info!
macx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Dabalzak
AF Newbie

Re: Lucas Oil "Transmission Fix" ???

I've got an 01 gmc z71 and bought some of this stuff, but haven't put it in yet and was hoping someone might have an answer to this post which was almost 2 years ago. Is there anyone on this forum who has used this product since this original post was made? I changed the tranny filter today and was also wondering if anyone believes in actually flushing the fluid with one of those recirculating pumps?

Ps. It was a real beech getting the new style of o ring back in there. I found the trick was to use a socket that was the same size and tapping it in. There was no way to get it in any other way. The old style O ring was nice and easy, although everytime I purchased a different vehicle and changed the filter I would find atleast 3 o rings shoved in the hole.

Thanks for any info.

Tom
Dabalzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:01 AM   #3
351wStang
AF Enthusiast

Do you have the same problem he had before he added the Lucas? If not then why do you want to add it to your tranny? Its always best to stay away from any additive if you can. They are just a band-aid for a real problem that will only get worse eventually if not takin care of correctly.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:15 AM   #4
scoobytuff
AF Regular

I have used the Lucas in transmissioms that were slipping pretty bad. It worked great. I got about 40,000 more miles out of that transmission. For the sticking valve I would try Seafoam transmission treatment.
scoobytuff is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Problem Diagnosis