Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 09:31 AM   #1
EdgarFan659
AF Regular

2002 BMW 330xi - Manual or Automatic?

Without turning this into a huge debate over the superiority of one transmission over another, I would like to get opinions on the pros and cons of the 330xi in manual and automatic. I am considering purchase for probably in the summer of 2002, or maybe a new 2003 in the fall if I can't get what I want.

Most of the people I know who drive manuals say that I MUST get the 330xi in manual. I've found this to be a pretty common theme. Now, I've driven an Jeep Cherokee (automatic) since I got my license 7 or so years ago, and have only limited (very limited) experience with manuals. Because of this, I am very uneasy about getting a car that is this nice and damaging the transmission because of my lack of experience driving with a stick shift. I've heard very few opinions on what BMW offers in terms of their steptronic/automatic transmission and how well it performs. Being a driver of an automatic for so long, it seem to me like the steptronic mode might be a fun thing to play with, especially since it would give me the option of either using it or switching back into lazy mode.

I also have another question about buying strategies. Currently I am saving up $$$ for a sizeable down payment, which I figure will be large enough by summer of 2002...maybe July. First off, I know that a few of my friends who have purchased BMW's have been treated with little respect from dealers when they first went in (before purchasing). Is there any way around this? I figured I might call ahead to the dealership and set up and appointment to testdrive and talk with a salesperson because that would get my foot in the door and show them that I was a serious buyer. Any thoughts? I've also been told that there really wasn't much haggling over price on brand new models.

I'm also a little curious about getting a production spot for a 2003 model (cuz god forbid that they don't have that BMW I want ). Is there a good time to go in for something like that? Also, what usually happens when you do that? I've heard there is something like a $1000 or more downpayment but I wasn't sure.

And one last thing. The "sport" package (I love the double spoke rims) lists the "M aerodynamics kit". What exactly is that? Thanks.
EdgarFan659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 10:24 AM   #2
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
Let me tell you right off the bat, all dealers are going to treat you shitty. Not all, but a lot of them. Basically, just keep in mind that they are only concerned with making a sale and a profit(usually a large one). So the only thing I can advise you is, an informed buyer is a tough person to push around in any dealership. Learn all you can about financing vs. leasing. Make sure your credit is impecable. And remember that the bigger the down payment, the better off you are in the long wrong. Ask questions, a lot of them. When the numbers come into play, make sure he explains every charge in detail. Some dealers charge you just for them holding the car in the lot. Not many people know this. And always remember, no matter what they say, you can haggle any price on any car. Just have to know how to haggle.

As for which of the two to take. I'm experienced in driving both automatic and manual. After years of driving automatic, I am dying to get my next ride, manual. Reason being, when it comes to mods, it is easier in my opinion and more gratifying to mod a manual car than an automatic. So I would say that if you want the thrill, go manual. If you're not that experienced, I would recommend practicing now in a manual so that you can get the feeling. I'm not to hot with these new tip tronic or manumatic shifter which only simulate manual shifting. You can get the same effect by just shifting through the gears in an automatic from 1st to 2nd and so on. But the manumatic or what have you, responds quicker to the shifts. Just remember, that when you get into a manual, you're stuck with it. So think long and hard if you want to be bothered with shifting constantly. If you know that you're going to be the lazy type, maybe automatic would be better. If you want the occasional manual shifting, then get it with the manumatic.

What it will all boil down to is, what do you feel like or what do you want to feel in your new car.

If you asked me in the end, which would I go for, I'd say manual.

Good Luck!
Old 10-04-2001, 08:32 AM   #3
jag
AF Newbie

I'd have to agree. Manual over automatic any day. The tiptronic or whatever u call it, SUX.. I've got the lil manual switch button in my car. It is worthless. I would give my left nut if my car was only manual. That's the only thing i don't like about it. You will get used to driving a stick very quickly unless ur just an idiot. Have u ever used a riding lawn mower???? I learned to drive a stick shift in about an hr when i was 14. I don't think it'll prove a challenge to you and don't worry about the tranny. She can take a lil bit of stress. Long as u get those gears figured out within the first few days it'll seem like u've always known how to drive one.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote