Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
lumina300zx0804
AF Newbie

nissan makes loud clunking

my 1986 nissan 300z non turbo will not burnout it clunks and slams back and forth i can move it smoothly and i got a new clutch it isnt in yet but im stumped ,reverse will smoke the tires will take off in second i just did a tune up if anyone knows my zs problem please let me know
lumina300zx0804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Re: nissan makes loud clunking

Lesson 1- Burnouts bad.. Sounds like you may have fried the transmission. Have you checked the fluid in the tranny? If its burnt, this goes with the manual and auto trannies, then the trans is trash. If there is debriegh in the fluid transmission is trash. How does it drive? Does it drive normally 1st, 2nd gear work normally?

Cant help but laugh at the burnout breakage. I dont do burnouts for that VERY reason.

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
SilentNIght1647
AF Regular

Sounds like you've got either a trans issue or a diff problem or maybe a combination of the two check the fluid level in both and look for anything that looks broken around the diff. And for the record burnouts are far from the worst thing you can do to a car spinning the tires hardly puts any load on anything, as long as it doesn't hook suddenly in which case you break stuff and normal it is a rearend component or driveshaft.
SilentNIght1647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Just thought of something..... It very well could be the center support bearing for your drive shaft. Forgot that the Z comes with a 2 peice shaft. Been so long since I have replaced mine forgot what it sounded like.... But thats EXACTLY what it sounds like. Lift the car up and grab the drive shaft and move it up and down.... closer to the center part of the shaft the better. If it moves ALOT ( more than a half inch) odds are the bearing(bushing) has gone bad, which means, time to upgrade the drive shaft.

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
lumina300zx0804
AF Newbie

thanx guys todays shitty and tomorrow ill check it all out at least its apart and to the tranny first gear is smooth as long as your bieng easy on it it will take off standing in second and reverse is perfect, im 20 and still learning and appreciate your help thanks
lumina300zx0804 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)