Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Sketching and Drawing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Sketching and Drawing Sketchers and drawers in the house?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
warrenkeefe
AF Newbie

WIP Thread: Enzo

Hey guys! So its a new week and I've got nothing but time until later in the week so I figured I would start on a new drawing. I'm going with the Edo Competition Enzo this time around. Continuing with the Ferrari theme for a bit longer but going modern. Also, being asked a couple time to show some in-progress shots, I thought it'd be a good chance to do so. This one should turn out as good as the California and the Weisman if not better.

So, these shots are 1. The rough outline of the drawing to be and 2. The tools of the trade. I'll be sure to keep you posted accordingly as I go, maybe a couple detail shots with some hints and/or tips? I dunno. I don't think of myself as a teacher and don't think I have teacher skills so if I sound at all rediculous through this, then let me know haha!

As you can see I don't spend any money on drawing supplies. I get a pack of 7 mechanical pencils for a couple bucks at staples, $2.49 for a pack of 5 erasers from Shoppers Drug Mart because its literally 40 steps from my apartment building, sandpaper which is like $0.69 a sheet which I cut into 4 pieces to clean off my blending stumps, which are like $7 for a full pack which lasts me 3 or 4 drawings. Bristol Vellum Smooth paper, 20 sheets for $17.99 I think to round out the list.

Updates to come!
warrenkeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:07 AM   #2
bonzelite
AF Enthusiast

Re: WIP Thread: Enzo

excellent; I am happy to learn new things from another artist. This ought to be very educational....
Old 01-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
warrenkeefe
AF Newbie

Alright fellas, I had some time to get some more Enzo done today, snapping a couple pictures as I went.

This first one is just showing the windshield about 95% finished. The last 5% is just taking a minute to check if the shades are right, the blends are smooth, and the lines are where they should be. Most important thing to remember is not to rush your drawings. I spend usually 20-30 hours on a picture and I've learned to use ALL that time addressing the little things and details so they're right.

One question I had was something like "what can I do to make it look more photo-realistic?" Well, when I see a drawing that looks like a photo, it has everything you would expect to see in a photo. Every little line, bump, hole, tone, etc. To make something seem realistic, it has to have everything that would make it realistic (ie. all the details).

This second image is an important step I think. It all starts with a quick shading with the mechanical pencil just to fill the area. You can clearly see the "using a blending stump" and "not using a blending stump" areas. Take down this note fellas...when I discovered the power of a blending stump, it was the 5th best discovery of my life. I'll say that because of a couple non-PG-13 things I've discovered and I'm sure there were a couple better discoveries I've made along the way too.

So then, quick shade to get the area filled it, then the blending stump. To make it smooth, press firmly enough and go in small circles. Like you're waxing a little car or something, haha. Every little bit, clean off your blending stump (I didn't just want to say to clean off your stump because 1. drawing is fun, but not THAT exciting, and 2. don't mix drawing and private activities) and keep on going.

And the last, again is most of the area done except that last 5%. A few edges to clean up, some tone matching/blending to make it perfect, little things here and there. Don't be afraid of using your eraser either. I use it just as much as my pencil. I actually use my blending stump WAY more than the pencil, and the eraser is a close 3rd for sure. Keep a bunch of erasers around, cut them in little chunks so you've got sharp corners and/or edges and clean up the highlights, use them to make edges clean and straight. Standard stuff. So here is the last photo for now with more to come.

Let me know how this is going so far guys, it'd be wicked to hear some feedback! Peace out.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
GirlBear
AF Enthusiast

Wha wha What? Wow! Im diggin this. I find drawing 2b my #1 source of excitment. lol

http://jowulf.deviantart.com/
GirlBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
lemorris
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to lemorris Send a message via Yahoo to lemorris

so far it's great

easy to understand and helpful info

thanks for doing this

-Lemorris
lemorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:35 AM   #6
rexsins-art
AF Enthusiast

yer great start ,

just a tip you may wanna share what grade pencils you use aswell
rexsins-art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
Blip
AF Enthusiast

Great stuff, never have used a blending stump so you're opening a new world for me.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #8
warrenkeefe
AF Newbie

Thanks for the feedback guys. To answer your inquiry about the pencils I use...I use just one. A mechanical pencil, a blue one with this particular drawing. I used a yellow one for the Ferrari California picture.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
PDQ VW
AF Regular

Wonderful job there!
It's great to see the progress!
I'm guessing---the outlined is eyeballed from a pic onto your vellum

We are always looking for decent cheap .5 mechanical pens--I think we eat them--so we're off tho Shoppers--don't forget the Optimum card!!

Looking forward to more posts it's looking great--and the hints of cutting up your erasers is priceless!
PDQ VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
warrenkeefe
AF Newbie

Round three!

Its a small update, but I think this is one of the key parts that I take my pride in. The details! So this first image is the general outline/shape of that blank Ferrari badge from the second post. Now, you can see its pretty basic but the lower right side, the bottom, and a bit of the left side have a kind of drop shadow effect going on. This is for the simple fact that in real life, that little emblem is slightly set into the metal or in this case the carbon fiber, creating the light to make the shadow accordingly.

This second photo is the rough outline of the prancing horse and the letters "S" and "F" in the logo. Also, straight forward but a little hint...draw out the shapes of the highlighted areas then work around those. When you get to the shading, think of them as somewhere you don't want your pencil to stray into. Like an inside out game of Operation. I hope everyone knows what I'm talking about...

As you can see in this next photo, the horse now looks like the game Operation, which is what you want. But still...don't go in there.

This next one is a close-up of my blending stump which in this case, I want to be clean and pointy. A clean and pointy stump is crucial...fellas. Well, you know. I've also done the light shading in the logo background and ready to blend with ma stump!

Lastly, take a step back, or hold out your lovely work at arms length to check for the tones again, make sure lines are clean and highlights look like highlights. This particular part isn't done yet because the left side of the emblem doesn't quite look like its protruding a bit from the flat body panel. A light shade along the side should do the trick!

So there we go. This is obviously taking me longer than usual to draw a picture but I like you guys, so why not. I'm enjoying this so far and I hope you guys are too. I was a bit slack the last 2 days because I got lazy yesterday, and today I was out at a graphic design job interview for most of the day.

More to come!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
PDQ VW
AF Regular

Talking Re: WIP Thread: Enzo

You're making us proud there Toronto!
PDQ VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
lemorris
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to lemorris Send a message via Yahoo to lemorris

awesome

2 questions:

How do you clean a stump?

and

How do you make it pointy again?

cool stuff
lemorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #13
warrenkeefe
AF Newbie

ahhh yes of course. I should have mentioned. The sandpaper is for cleaning the stumps. Just use the sandpaper on the end of the stump like you're peeling a carrot. It will take all the graphite off the end of the stump and you can scrape it accordingly to make it sharp again.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #14
Blip
AF Enthusiast

Thanks again for sharing, in such detail, your techniques and tricks.
This is a gold mine for any pencil artist.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #15
warrenkeefe
AF Newbie

Hello again all!

I got around to doing a bit more today so I'll put up a couple pictures. Not much to explain about these couple. I just used my regular techniques as mentioned above to do the rough line work, the shading, the erasing and so on. So here we are, the side windows are complete and now I'm moving onto the door and lower bodywork.

Sorry about the quality of this one. My camera lens is dirty so I need lots of natural light in the daytime to pull off a good picture. I think you can get whats going on though.

The feedback is awesome guys too guys! Thanks for taking a look and I for sure look at all the other new posts you guys are putting up. Lots of wicked work.

More to come!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Sketching and Drawing